Holley's science vs Edelbrock simplicity?

-
I'm a firm believer (for many years now) that all of these carbs are 100 MPG carbs. All of them. The Carter, Holley, TQ, Q-jet...all of them. Why they aren't is for another thread.
I kindof figured that out in 2004, when my combo went 32mpg with an 1850 that I leaned on strictly for hiway cruising with no real tuning, just threw something at it, to see if it would stick. Ima thinking it couldda done even better. Course nobody buys 32 mpgs on a 367 HO engine, so most of the time I keep it to myself. I can't speak to 100mpgs tho,lol.
Added;
I have a manual trans and the 750DP is a thing of beauty in the corners; it's dial-a-power., slide-control, and infinitely featherable, to keep the back in the back. For my driving style, nothing else worked, especially the 750Vsecondary; which was just full of surprises. I don't care about dragracing, I care about keeping it between the ditches when I come in too hot. Yeah sure I could brake earlier..... but there is no adrenaline in driving around a corner.
The 750DP is a nice size for my 11/1-367HO. I wouldn't install a smaller carb that's for certain.
The 600 primaries (secondaries were blocked off) were more than enough for long-distance touring.

Last edited:
They sure aren't double pumpers. Let me rephrase that. It still take air flow to open the air flap/door thing whatever it is.

As Fishmen said, they are mechanical secondaries with an air valve.

Holley is the only carb I know of with a vacuum opened secondary throttle blades. Just like the TQ and the Q-jet which also have mechanical secondaries.

I kindof figured that out in 2004, when my combo went 32mpg with an 1850 that I leaned on strictly for hiway cruising with no real tuning, just threw something at it, to see if it would stick. Ima thinking it couldda done even better. Course nobody buys 32 mpgs on a 367 HO engine, so most of the time I keep it to myself. I can't speak to 100mpgs tho,lol

He carbs are plenty capable of 100 MPG but the engines are NOT!!!

That's exactly why EFI doesn't produce 100 MPG numbers. The engines aren't capable of it. A carb certainly is and so is EFI.

I have two customers with ootb Holley's that work fine. And that's a good thing because beyond connecting fuel and a Direct Fit throttle cable they haven't a clue.
I teach them how to set the float and I show them how to set the idle and I show them how to adjust and set their choke and I show them how to adjust the air bleeds and for what reasons. I just tell them how the secondary spring works and how different Springs change how it works. I explained to them how the accelerator pump works and generally get that glazed look from them when I'm done explaining... it's information overload and they just want it to run good then pay me and drive off.... That amount of adjustability is wasted on most....
There it is right there. If these holley owners would take a little interest then my work would be easier. It frustrating when they go at it and claim they havent touched it. Yet it was idling low and for some odd reason its real rich...

Completely missed my point, as usual... LOL You went East and I was going West. It's all good... :D
I missed the boat, but I should have attached a poll.
I can say if the car came with a holley and people kept giving me Holley's likely I'd be making do. But as it turns out it was the opposite and I'm glad.
I'm happy with its simplicity especially with two.

There it is right there. If these holley owners would take a little interest then my work would be easier. It frustrating when they go at it and claim they havent touched it. Yet it was idling low and for some odd reason its real rich...
A holley running rich? Now hush your mouth! LOL....:poke:

I dont know why the curb idle screw even exists, (I do) but it should have a big warning sticker above it telling folks not to touch it.

Just think how many post by AJ could have been unnecessary?

:)

well, I am going through this right now. Old motor - had eddy performer and later a thunder series carb. Super easy to tune - vacuum gauge and flat head. Of course there isnt much else you could do. You can play with the jets and metering rods

I now have a holly 4160
I’d like to add that a Holley can be confusing to new guys to the carb with so many adjustments available to the carb in and out. This is Daunting! As well as confusing. Once you understand, yes, simple. Not everybody has the will, want or brain power.

And this how I feel. I started researching and everything is all "super" tuning and super advanced tricks. I will figure this out and get it tuned, because I want the extra throttle response and other benefits of the holly.

They are both very good products.

My car ran better on the strip with the 750DP that was tuned to mission. That said the Eddy Thunder 800 AVS will never see the strip so a real comparison will not happen. It sure runs nicely on the street for me and does not make me want to swap back to the Holley.

Early on I liked the original Carter AVS, response was very good. But growing and single plane intake and the HP increase plus nitrous demanded the Holley DP. It made much more over all power for the task. Started with a 650DP and grew to the 750DP.

Dropped my gears from 4.56 to 3.55 and still have a SP “Tarantula” intake and large overlap cam. The Thunder AVS 800 is a great choice IMO!

well, I am going through this right now. Old motor - had eddy performer and later a thunder series carb. Super easy to tune - vacuum gauge and flat head. Of course there isnt much else you could do. You can play with the jets and metering rods

I now have a holly 4160

And this how I feel. I started researching and everything is all "super" tuning and super advanced tricks. I will figure this out and get it tuned, because I want the extra throttle response and other benefits of the holly.

When you get up and running bring it by james. I walk you through it.

I'm coming away with the overview that a street car for a self-tuner wants an Edelbrock and a strip car with an experienced carburetor tuner wants a Holley.
That is how I see it. The new guy can get the Edelbrock tuned in pretty quick and easy. The Holley rocks at the track and will get all it can out of the engine if it is dialed in.
(Again, I speak of the 1850/3310 Holley, not the high dollar super adjustable units.)

This is not to say the reverse can’t be done.

I had Pro Sytems build a Holley for my 408 and although I havent driven the car yet it does start and idle spot on.
For an engine like this one Idont think Eddie makes a carb cpable of its performance levels. Maybe a TQ 1000 cfm tuned by a knowledgeable tech

The Pro System Holley is a far removed carb from the humble beginnings of Holley’s racing starts. It super removes from the basic Carter/Edelbrock currently being used and hugely advanced. And a good price increase over the other basic carbs.

On your 408, Edelbrock only has an 800 CFM unit. I can see where that would be a limitation on YOUR SPECIFIC engine. On that 1,000 CFM TQ, (LMAO!) I’d like to try mine on your engine.

I dont understand the Holley tuning issue?

Vaccum gauge, drive, check plugs, adjust?

It really is that simple.

Flip carb over, set transfer slots.
Set timing for idle.
Set idle mix.
Drive car, read vacuum gauge, set power valves.
Stomp on it, set pump cam and or pump nozzles.
Go wide open, shut down, check plugs, adjust main jets.

Easy peasy?

Yes there's more that can be adjusted but that will do it for most folks.

I dont understand the Holley tuning issue?

Vaccum gauge, drive, check plugs, adjust?

It really is that simple.
All they have to do is pretend the Holley is a eddy. Open the box, bolt it on, and go. LOL....

-
Back