Holley's science vs Edelbrock simplicity?

-
Exactly! Just for the fun of it. No other reason. I say, why not. Laugh with everyone laughing at you. An old “Legendary member” had put up what he claimed as “Actual CFM Ratings” of the TQ’s. The small ones came in around the 767 CFM range. That’s a possible 1534 CFM.

If you can tune them in reasonably well, for the price of 2 used TQ’s and kits to fit them, sounds like a cheap winner to me.

I'm going to try the two TQs on a tunnel ram on another 440 sometime just for ***** and giggles sometime. I've got a pair of 74 360 carbs I think would work, ones a manual and ones an automatic but I don't think that will make any difference.
The sound of two TQs rolling in for the price of a pair of kits. We'll see.

Exactly! Just for the fun of it. No other reason. I say, why not. Laugh with everyone laughing at you. An old “Legendary member” had put up what he claimed as “Actual CFM Ratings” of the TQ’s. The small ones came in around the 767 CFM range. That’s a possible 1534 CFM.

If you can tune them in reasonably well, for the price of 2 used TQ’s and kits to fit them, sounds like a cheap winner to me.

Not to mention the sound of TWO big TQ's bellowing at WOT. Probably hear them a mile away!...

Not to mention the sound of TWO big TQ's bellowing at WOT. Probably hear them a mile away!...

There is a member of Moparts that is or was running a pair of TQ's on a 605" hemi with a tunnel ram in a 59 or 60 Dodge truck.

There is a member of Moparts that is or was running a pair of TQ's on a 605" hemi with a tunnel ram in a 59 or 60 Dodge truck.
Not sure about the 605 Hemi, but when he had a 440 in it he had dual thermoquads on e85.

I get a kick out of the brand preferences here, mines the best yours is junk. Holley is the sbc of carbs, that is if you can't make power with one you shouldn't try. The carter/ Eldelbrock worked before all this alcohol fuel but I'm not crazy about them now, hell all the fuel disappears after you shut down the motor.
But I have to admit I haven't bought an AFB since the 70s, ran a TQ since the 80s and I don't know what a quadrajet is. So I must use Holleys and the last one a bought was a XP 950 E85 that only needed float and idle adjustment out of the box. Four pulls on the dyno and we were done. It's a beautiful carb at $900, my only complaint.

They're both using the same science, and doing the same things, in similar ways. The fact you indicate there's any difference already shows you're off the mark and reducing it to emotional personal choice.

They're both using the same science, and doing the same things, in similar ways. The fact you indicate there's any difference already shows you're off the mark and reducing it to emotional personal choice.
It's not an emotion choice but choices made from forty five years of experience messing with this old junk. They might work on the the same principle but some work so much better than others.

Last edited:
In all fairness, this notion "eddies work out of the box and hollies don't" just isn't right. I've bought new holley carbs and never had a single one that didn't bolt on and run real good right out of the box. The only difference is, with the holley you can fine tune good in to great (that last tenth at the strip you were talk'n about). Just because you have more tuning options with a Holley doesn't mean they don't run good out of the box. However, I've had eddies that couldn't get rid of a bog out of the hole, and not enough tuning features so I had to ditch the carb... for a holley and tuned the bog out.
We had to change metering rods, step up springs and secondary jets on Danys Mag swap (Eddy 1812)
I don't consider that a problem on a new engine/cam/intake combination. it's just part of modifying things. If you want simplicity, leave it stock!!

It's not an emotion choice but choices made from forty five years of experience messing with this old junk. They might work on the the same principle but some work so much better than others.
Your whole response is emotional...
45 years of bla bla bla...lol...
You just said you stuck with Holley since the 70s which was 50 years ago and you never messed with a Quadrajet? It sounds like any comparison that you have is at least 50 years old? Pretty much sounds like Holley is all you know...

I don't work on stock or do restorations just not my thing and never has been. The smallest carb I have at the moment is an older race 850 and the newest is a XP950E85 there's a couple dominators in the garage. I've used AFBs and TQs in the past but haven't needn't the smaller carbs for years.
I had a TQ on my shop truck for a few years but the only way I could get accelerator pumps was to buy a kit and fuel was killing them so I put a Holley on it and never touched it again.
I do have a personal project that I will need to either buy a carb or FI for, with a 750 dyno carb it made 455 hp and 445 tq at 292 cid. it made the same power with my 850 and less with a 650.
One thing I don't have is an emotional connection to fifty year old junk that needs to be the greatest thing because that's the way it was made by mopar in 1960something, lol.

You Holley guys are funny, Stock and Super Stock class cars make any carb run great. I still run anything I want. They all run great. No way I'm going to spend the coin for a new Holley, or FI.

-
Back