Holley's science vs Edelbrock simplicity?

-
That is how I see it. The new guy can get the Edelbrock tuned in pretty quick and easy. The Holley rocks at the track and will get all it can out of the engine if it is dialed in.
(Again, I speak of the 1850/3310 Holley, not the high dollar super adjustable units.)

This is not to say the reverse can’t be done.

The Pro System Holley is a far removed carb from the humble beginnings of Holley’s racing starts. It super removes from the basic Carter/Edelbrock currently being used and hugely advanced. And a good price increase over the other basic carbs.

On your 408, Edelbrock only has an 800 CFM unit. I can see where that would be a limitation on YOUR SPECIFIC engine. On that 1,000 CFM TQ, (LMAO!) I’d like to try mine on your engine.

I should have put “Holley” in quotes there.

I should have put “Holley” in quotes there.
No...., I don’t think so, that would have been misleading.
Pro Systems built you a carb and I would guess you gave all the specs and intended usage. This should get you a carb that is .... well... what one would want and expect for a out of the box pro built carb.

When the title of the thread popped up, the only reasonable comparison that can be done and made is between a base or OEM Holley and the Carter/Edelbrock. Since. After or Edelbrock do not have a race style carb.

Even the race TQ isn’t a trick carb. They are basically a stripped down stock unit with larger primary bores and just a few vacuum ports. Just like the early OEM versions.
A manual choke is employed. This gets rid of the OEM style choke which take a rod out of the secondaries way.

I had Pro Sytems build a Holley for my 408 and although I havent driven the car yet it does start and idle spot on.
And I’m betting this thing will kick ***.

When it comes to tuning, I have twice as much fun ... LoL....

Boss Mag Pic.jpg

When it comes to tuning, I have twice as much fun ... LoL....

View attachment 1715378365

One day I will see that beast. Cumming show at the fairgrounds is coming up in 2 weekends August 24th, I will be glamping on lake Lanier but will be attending! Please come by with that beast!

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking! Now if I could just set a TQ up for e-85.

Food for thought....

What does it take to convert a Holley or Edelbrock to e85?
Now you know what to do.

The Holley is an e-85 carb, I haven't found a accelerator pump for the TQ that handles alcohol fuel and I wouldn't know how to make it flow sufficiently for e-85.

As if my two Edelbrocks aren't hard enough to tune and these yahoos want me to get two Holley's :realcrazy:
My suggestion for you is to run off of one 850 Double pumper on the front to perform with, and just use a dummy eddy for looks on the back. No linkage or fuel to the eddy, just use a block off plate under the carb :D :D

My suggestion for you is to run off of one 850 Double pumper on the front to perform with, and just use a dummy eddy for looks on the back. No linkage or fuel to the eddy, just use a block off plate under the carb :D :D
Knock knock....

Lean on the back side under the dummy carb.

I'm going to try the two TQs on a tunnel ram on another 440 sometime just for ***** and giggles sometime. I've got a pair of 74 360 carbs I think would work, ones a manual and ones an automatic but I don't think that will make any difference.
The sound of two TQs rolling in for the price of a pair of kits. We'll see.

I'm going to try the two TQs on a tunnel ram on another 440 sometime just for ***** and giggles sometime. I've got a pair of 74 360 carbs I think would work, ones a manual and ones an automatic but I don't think that will make any difference.
The sound of two TQs rolling in for the price of a pair of kits. We'll see.
Having the two carbs facing forward makes it colossally easier to set up the linkage....

-
Back