Holy cow..200 mph small block Mopar N/A

-
It's kinda funny cause i was always curious bout what mopar ran in nascar back then.. has to be near impossible to get the valvetrain and parts to run those 20 years later.
Only a call to T&D/Jesel, PAC, Smith Bros. & Ferrea away, and some $$$$......

Only a call to T&D/Jesel, PAC, Smith Bros. & Ferrea away, and some $$$$......
Yeah... that's big boy stuff... i'm having a hard enough time affording a junkyard SB with trickflows right now :)

Yeah... that's big boy stuff... i'm having a hard enough time affording a junkyard SB with trickflows right now :)
I disagree. The only expensive parts listed are the TD/Jesel rockers, BUT! You will get what you pay for and there not that much more expensive than Harland Sharps.

PAC springs are nominal cost, good valves are a must but, a good price is possible considering it is a good investment on the valve & longevity, which are the pay back making them cheap in the long run.

The price of pushrods can vary a lot so I suggest shopping around. There’s no reason to skimp there. Again, like the valves above….

I disagree. The only expensive parts listed are the TD/Jesel rockers, BUT! You will get what you pay for and there not that much more expensive than Harland Sharps.

PAC springs are nominal cost, good valves are a must but, a good price is possible considering it is a good investment on the valve & longevity, which are the pay back making them cheap in the long run.

The price of pushrods can vary a lot so I suggest shopping around. There’s no reason to skimp there. Again, like the valves above….
I was thinking more of the heads, block and i assume pistons would probably not be THAT bad...

I was thinking more of the heads, block and i assume pistons would probably not be THAT bad...
Well, unless your buliding a SBC, you pay more, no way around it. Certain items cost more than others. It is what it is. Other car guys always say and ask me, isn't it expensive to build a MoPar?
I say, depends on where your looking from, in example, IF I was building a Caddy, Buick or something more obscure, its going to be a lot of money and high performance maybe limited due to parts. A great example is an aluminum cylinderhead for a small block Buick. 1 and one 1 place has such an item, Poston. A big block Buick is a better choice. There actually an excellent engine, but VERY costly to build. IDGAF because I like the MoPars I have. I dont like all the body styles and years. I have my favorites.

Chrysler SB engines, from where I see it, and probably eveyone else is they are the 3rd cheapest to build and IMO, has the best bang for the buck in return on power for what they were born with. The problem with the SB guys is cylinder heads. The W9 and the quickly vanished Victor are the top heads. What does Chevy have in there arsenal? IF you keep it as close to a apple to apple comparison, we have the advantage IMO. Sure somethings like heads, pistons & intakes cost more. There not made as often. Slick guys can use a Chevy piston with a single nocost mod to it in there engine. IDGAF if its a chevy piston, a Ford bearing, a "Generic Con Rod", what ever works and I can get away with, i'll use. It's a little sneaky. But dont worry, they other guy is being sneaky. If he is not, then he's probably cheap and in your rear view mirror.

The ability to get cheap and worthy parts only goes so far. In the race block area, our stock blocks are better than there race blocks and our race blocks I super rarley ever see built pushing the blocks limits.
Since the MoPars are third in popularity, so is there pricing. Volume drives cost down, or should! If MoPar parts were as popular as Chevy parts, they would be cheap as well because there making them to just make them (Almost without care or concern) because they know they will sell them.

Another thing I found out while talking to other racers at various tracks is, when I asked them about cost, the overwhelmingly is, it just doesn't matter at this level because no matter what you run, its really expensive! Ford and MoPar guys acknowledge that the Chevy parts were cheaper but realized at this level of serious competition, it just doesn't matter, so we run what we run because thats what we want to run. There was no quibbling that it is really expensive and the cost of the build is just part of the over all cost, a price all pay the piper to. A LOT!

The real edge or lack of is in the street on regular guys like you and me. Cost can be everything for the regular guys. Ether build a cheap Chevy or build what it is your heart desires. It'll just take a little longer and it'll be worth it. Also, there is one other thing that comes with it, "No Regrets" because you built what you wanted to.

I have a few A-holes, Chevy flag wavers that love shoving it up your *** if your not careful, tell me I waste loads of money.
Honestly, the only waste of money is spending it on something you dont want and it will probably makes you unhappy. Thats a waste! Build what you wanna build and know the key points of the pros and cons of what your doing so you can work around it. It may take longer, be a little longer, expensive, but you'll have what you wanted. Do not ever complain loudly and often on price, you knew this comingointo the game.
At least you'll have built what you wanted to and you'll have no regrets on what could have been. Screw the price.

OH, depends on the piston! Low deck slugs are a lot because there basically a custom piston these days. Go find a .030/.040 over forged 350/361 B deck slug!!!!
383/400's are pricey enough.
What ever you build, just do a killer job on it!

Well, unless your buliding a SBC, you pay more, no way around it. Certain items cost more than others. It is what it is. Other car guys always say and ask me, isn't it expensive to build a MoPar?
I say, depends on where your looking from, in example, IF I was building a Caddy, Buick or something more obscure, its going to be a lot of money and high performance maybe limited due to parts. A great example is an aluminum cylinderhead for a small block Buick. 1 and one 1 place has such an item, Poston. A big block Buick is a better choice. There actually an excellent engine, but VERY costly to build. IDGAF because I like the MoPars I have. I dont like all the body styles and years. I have my favorites.

Chrysler SB engines, from where I see it, and probably eveyone else is they are the 3rd cheapest to build and IMO, has the best bang for the buck in return on power for what they were born with. The problem with the SB guys is cylinder heads. The W9 and the quickly vanished Victor are the top heads. What does Chevy have in there arsenal? IF you keep it as close to a apple to apple comparison, we have the advantage IMO. Sure somethings like heads, pistons & intakes cost more. There not made as often. Slick guys can use a Chevy piston with a single nocost mod to it in there engine. IDGAF if its a chevy piston, a Ford bearing, a "Generic Con Rod", what ever works and I can get away with, i'll use. It's a little sneaky. But dont worry, they other guy is being sneaky. If he is not, then he's probably cheap and in your rear view mirror.

The ability to get cheap and worthy parts only goes so far. In the race block area, our stock blocks are better than there race blocks and our race blocks I super rarley ever see built pushing the blocks limits.
Since the MoPars are third in popularity, so is there pricing. Volume drives cost down, or should! If MoPar parts were as popular as Chevy parts, they would be cheap as well because there making them to just make them (Almost without care or concern) because they know they will sell them.

Another thing I found out while talking to other racers at various tracks is, when I asked them about cost, the overwhelmingly is, it just doesn't matter at this level because no matter what you run, its really expensive! Ford and MoPar guys acknowledge that the Chevy parts were cheaper but realized at this level of serious competition, it just doesn't matter, so we run what we run because thats what we want to run. There was no quibbling that it is really expensive and the cost of the build is just part of the over all cost, a price all pay the piper to. A LOT!

The real edge or lack of is in the street on regular guys like you and me. Cost can be everything for the regular guys. Ether build a cheap Chevy or build what it is your heart desires. It'll just take a little longer and it'll be worth it. Also, there is one other thing that comes with it, "No Regrets" because you built what you wanted to.

I have a few A-holes, Chevy flag wavers that love shoving it up your *** if your not careful, tell me I waste loads of money.
Honestly, the only waste of money is spending it on something you dont want and it will probably makes you unhappy. Thats a waste! Build what you wanna build and know the key points of the pros and cons of what your doing so you can work around it. It may take longer, be a little longer, expensive, but you'll have what you wanted. Do not ever complain loudly and often on price, you knew this comingointo the game.
At least you'll have built what you wanted to and you'll have no regrets on what could have been. Screw the price.

Yeah, to me aftermarket blocks and big heads like that are just crazy expensive no matter the brand... i grew up broke and i think that mentality never leaves sadly :)

And the stroker kit i wanna run uses chevy rods in it.. it's just parts at the end of the day no matter what they were made for in the first place.

You shop around and you can pick up a complete R5/P7 NASCAR engine, ready to run, in the 13 to 15 grand range.

You shop around and you can pick up a complete R5/P7 NASCAR engine, ready to run, in the 13 to 15 grand range.
That's kinda crazy honestly.. i figured they would be impossible to find and stupid money if you do find one...

My end goal in life will be to one day overpay for a hemi just so i have owned one :)

That's kinda crazy honestly.. i figured they would be impossible to find and stupid money if you do find one...

My end goal in life will be to one day overpay for a hemi just so i have owned one :)
I haven't looked for any lately, I'll probably have to eat my words! There was an outfit that advertised freshened Ernie Elliott engines for about 15 grand on racingjunk. Don't know if that exists anymore. You can find tons of parts on Ebag.

Yeah, to me aftermarket blocks and big heads like that are just crazy expensive no matter the brand... i grew up broke and i think that mentality never leaves sadly :)
This has a ring of truth in it for sure. While I wasn’t on the poor side, my early married years were a $$$ struggle. The important things needed in life were always easy enough but after that, or so great. Finally bought my first ever brand spankin new car at, IIRC, 50. No complaints! It was a Challenger.

Having to be frugal and smart about matters, I just tried to maximize what I had. Now in retirement, kids grown and out of the house, the move south for less taxes and overall expenses has opened up some bucks. I’ve been part saving, trading and deal hunting for a while now and have a stash of parts that I’m ready to explore.

One day of the Victor head becomes available again, I’ll get it. Until then, it’s my Edelbrocks and W2/5 heads that will have to do.
I think they can.
And the stroker kit i wanna run uses chevy rods in it.. it's just parts at the end of the day no matter what they were made for in the first place.
Yep! Also! The most important part of this hobby is make a plan and stick to it because deviation always costs more. Best bet is to over build now, enjoy later if you go there.

It's only a Chevy rod if it's in a Chevy engine. lol

shame.. it's good to have places that make blocks like that but without support they won't be here long :(
Shouldn't be too long, and my SB will be off the dyno and into my hands....
Never done a good SBM, so this is gonna be it. Good or bad...my last engine.

SB 11-11-2022.jpg

SB 454 short-Ritter.jpg

No sir. The engine builders scared me off. Lol
I've found over the years, that some builders are afraid of stuff they haven't worked with. One of the big names around Detroit, hated when I bought "exotic" parts, when he first started building powerful engines. The same parts became his SOP stuff after awhile.

Shouldn't be too long, and my SB will be off the dyno and into my hands....
Never done a good SBM, so this is gonna be it. Good or bad...my last engine.

View attachment 1716118386

View attachment 1716118388
Cool!
I’m saving for a Ritter Block. Can’t decide between aluminum or steel. Specs on yours? Lifter angle? 50 or 60mm Cam core? What heads will you use, Indy 360-1?
I’m undecided on heads, I guess whichever Max Wedge Performance has available for a 671.

Question for anybody, Is the W-5 port the same as the Indy 360-1 Intake?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Uhmmm, ever seen a Mopar P5 head ......???
From like 25 years ago? Was an NHRA/IHRA Contingency part? What are You talking about??
Paterson racing did a lot of development on the p5 heads. I think in Australia they still run a lot of the pro stock truck, is p5 stuff. I think.

-
Back