Homemade big block a body engine mounts

-

Mtrhead

Ace of Spades ♠️
Reaction score
These were on a big block that was in a 71 demon that I purchased it had a /6 kmember and she fits like a glove...I ran solid mount on driver side....

20231106_120855.jpg

20231106_120843.jpg

20231106_120840.jpg

20231106_120833.jpg

20231106_120822.jpg

My first ones weren't pretty either, - but you had to fab everything then, - not buy it, search around for scrap iron or something to sacrifice, - tow it to a welding shop for placement . lol .

My first ones weren't pretty either, - but you had to fab everything then, - not buy it, search around for scrap iron or something to sacrifice, - tow it to a welding shop for placement . lol .
Some of it was out there, but no internet, so unless you were in a huge "car area" with lots of "guys" who knew stuff, or accidently ran across "that" magazine article, you would never know it/ them was out there.

I like the simplicity of the mounts. I would be concerned about breaking the engine ears though. The tube adds leverage to the block mounts. If the bolt runs through both upper lugs it could potentially break an ear while tightening if the tube is not exact fit.
Looking at my phone without glasses though so I may have missed something.
I bet there is room everywhere. An advantage to solid mount. The spool mounts take up a lot of room and the biscuit mounts crowd the oil pump. In the big block conversation state.

It's held since the 80's with 250hp cheater system and spool with slicks..
.dunno...I see your point though...fragile blocks...i once broke the ear off starter mounting tab on block. .pissed me off so bad I didn't even try to get it fixed...threw it in the gutter and got another ..

It worked ! but man that's crude . :thumbsup:
I think there's a tractor on my back 40 with the same set up.

Not worried about the integrity of the mounts or 250 hp nitrous cheater. But .025 clearance between the ears and tube and torqued could hurt. I do not think that was the case though.LOL

I agree it's not going back like that that's one of the reasons it's out of the car but it's how someone fabbed up that stuff with $3 of angle iron and a dream.. we were always worried about those mounts ...but more about the 9" drum brakes ......lmfao....real death trap

I always like seeing home brewed fabrication ideas. Seems there is always something to learn whether you agree with it or not.

I like um. If they were boxed in around the front side, they'd be good.

Schumacher is easy and proven. OEM style insulators break though. They used to make a torque strap.

I'm make my own with a foot of aluminum 3/4 tubing 2 heim joints and 1 little piece of angle iron for frame bracket to mount eyelet...easy ...I use to use a chain...

Schumacher is easy and proven. OEM style insulators break though. They used to make a torque strap.
The biscuit mounts are easily modified with a grade 8 through bolt and a nylock nut on the other side. Then they'll never come apart.

-
Back