Hood hinge attachment question w/PICTURES

-
It’s been a while since I worked on the hood. I was interrupted by a drunk driving meth-head. I was rear-end on Labor day after attending a local car show. Ya he had no license, no insurance and warrents for his arrest for 3 previous DUI’s.

a59106b6.jpg

8db43190.jpg

3426c046.jpg

I was able to work on the hood today here is what I have done so far. I made a pattern and cut two pieces of 1/8” plate at 8”X 1 ¼ “ to weld in behind the attaching points for more strength.

9dcc0683.jpg

51d080d0.jpg

bb553f36.jpg

Here is the sacrificial metal patch, I’m changing out the quarters any way.

28aa76b7.jpg

51552910.jpg

The rest of the pictures are just the sequence of fitting up the patch, stitching it in and the finished piece.

41e78062.jpg

19ffd459.jpg

9fa028a8.jpg

bb22f2bf.jpg

a200ed96.jpg

Phosphoric acid treatment will help the surface rust areas, the inner structure could be sand blasted. I've fixed worse.

Where can I get Phosphoric acid? Do I just wipe it on and spray it off? Does anyone have a how to on the use of Phosphoric acid?

i was goin to offer you the hood off of my 69. i live in the spokane area and will probably be making a trip thru Salt Lake soon, but it looks like you already solved your issues. outstanding work by the way.....

How is it used? Do you wipe it on and rinse it with water?

You can buy it at hardware stores (Lowes). Jasco is one brand. The last time I bought it at Ace under the "Ospho" name. The liquid is light green in color. Wet the surface - maybe even work it in with a brush. Let it air dry completely.

If you spend lots of time and ($$$) attempting to repair the hood and it may not work-what now, you will wind up get another hood. Maybe one of the guys here has a hood you can aquire. I know it is a tough call.

Dave

You can buy it at hardware stores (Lowes). Jasco is one brand. The last time I bought it at Ace under the "Ospho" name. The liquid is light green in color. Wet the surface - maybe even work it in with a brush. Let it air dry completely.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

ive done 2 hoods by taking them apart. one was for factory hood scoop with a bad frame and a flat hood with a good frame. just drilled the spot welds, did a spot weld in each hole i drilled. grinded, "factory" again. used a sealer from home depot, i think it said polester construction panel adheasive,(not liquid nails) $5 a tube , its the same color, water proof, and paintable. dries overnight, found a slight dip in the yard the same contour of the hood, and sat some tool boxes on it till morn. worked fine.

-
Back