Hood latch delete pictures/ideas

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hellooooooooo FABO!
I am looking to delete the skull scraper from my hood. Any ideas?
I do have hood pins, is that enough?

Bonus......having a hood release inside the car.

I am am thick skulled and hard headed but I tire of the beatings.

Mopar B Body Plymouth Secondary Safety Hood Latch 1967 Satellite GTX  Belvedere | eBay

This is not a numbers build although I would like it to be hidden.

B body one is pictured, but you all know what Im talkin about.

Thank you!!

How tall are you?

I'm 5-10 and have never come close to hitting my head on it.

I just measured..

I would have to be 6-4 to hit my head on it bending over the grill.

As for delete plate

Just unbolt it.

Two threaded holes. Lots of holes in the underside of the hood.

PXL_20231229_064258843.jpg

The hood release inside the car will do exactly the same thing with or without the safety catch. It's not like the hood will completely open when you pull the lever without it, you still have to lift the hood. You can add the inside hood release without removing the safety catch.

If you have hood pins, the inside release won't do anything more than it does with the safety catch, you'll still have to get out and pull the hood pins and lift the hood.

With hood pins installed, they'd have to fail somehow for the hood to fly open, so the safety catch is a bit redundant with the hood pins. Without hood pins, well, there's a reason there's a safety catch.

And yeah, as long as the hood is all the way up it's pretty darn difficult to hit your head on that thing. Now, if you don't lift the hood all the way that's a different story. But there's an easy solution to that, just open the hood all the way.

How tall are you?

I'm 5-10 and have never come close to hitting my head on it.

I just measured..

I would have to be 6-4 to hit my head on it bending over the grill.

As for delete plate

Just unbolt it.

Two threaded holes. Lots of holes in the underside of the hood.

View attachment 1716184549
Im only 6'1" so that doesn't add up. Ill have to check my measurement.

Use the inside hood release with hood pins. That skull scraper is there for a reason. The hood pins will now prevent the hood from flying up and making a mess at speed should that hood release fail for whatever reason.

I put a can coozie on the safety catch when working on the car...
I open the hood on the duster quite a bit to "disable" things while parked (its not a stick:)) so its not a situation that Im having it open a long period all the time so its not that I cant use a cozie, but remembering after being hit in the head as much as I have would really be the issue.:lol::lol: It is possible that I am not raising the hood all the way up. Operator error.

It does bring up the current project (barracuda) that I want to eliminate that puppy if possible.

Is there a specific cable/latch I should be looking for? (73+?)

Im only 6'1" so that doesn't add up. Ill have to check my measurement
I bent over the radiator and had 6 inches between my head and the safety.

Maybe my pivot points at the waist is lower than a 6-1 person?

I remember watching Dad crank his head a few times on the "catch" lol. I didn't laugh TOO much, I've done it a few times lol. A hat helps!:rolleyes:

This is the 72 Duster and the barracuda is up on jacks but looks similar. The duster hinges are stock. The barracuda is modified with struts but still below 72".

Not sure how I got one at 5'5" .......Ill have to check it again.

EDIT: That thing hits my glasses. I may not delete from the original duster but.....

Im still interested in deleting on the barracuda if its not a huge safety concern.

Which hood release is used? 73+? Lokar?

20231229_100318.jpg

Last edited:
66 1/2" on 67 cuda meat hook. Stock and deadly lol.
Ya pending suspension height, that is about where Im at.

With hood pins Ill delete.

Now if I can get direction on a year to scope out for the hood release. 73+?

When did they start using that option?

Thanks fellas, I know its small stuff, but like i said......been hit in the head:lol:

Well, I'm not sure what year they started, but they were in all models, A, B, C & E as far as I know. I have a couple out of 72ish A-bodies. Then in Diplomats etc too. You may as well look for a later one and get the electric trunk release as well!

Well, I'm not sure what year they started, but they were in all models, A, B, C & E as far as I know. I have a couple out of 72ish A-bodies. Then in Diplomats etc too. You may as well look for a later one and get the electric trunk release as well!
Probably drill some kind of hole, in the latch up front, with a "cable keeper" thing on it? like you see on a heater control?

73-76 MOPAR A BODY INTERIOR HOOD RELEASE CABLE W/ NICE HANDLE OEM WORKS US $100.00
eBay item number:115992222819

1703882229527.png

looks like its handy to have both ends of that assembly although the hood side could be modified with what I have.

Thanks a bunch fellas!!

I've always wondered, but never looked, to see if that cable would work on my '72 Dart.

I kinda need a new setup on my '75. ANYBODY can see the hood release on that bastard.

I've always wondered if I could put reverse hood pins that were pinned from inside the fenders. They'd only need to be ~1.5" long

I've always wondered, but never looked, to see if that cable would work on my '72 Dart.

I kinda need a new setup on my '75. ANYBODY can see the hood release on that bastard.

I've always wondered if I could put reverse hood pins that were pinned from inside the fenders. They'd only need to be ~1.5" long

I don't see the fascination with the inside hood release, or even some kind of locking hood pins.

Ok, so they opened the hood, so what? Without a handful of tools and a bunch of time they're not stealing much more than the air filter or cap and wires. And if you're parked out on the street for long periods of time the stuff under the hood isn't the expensive resale stuff anyway, more likely to lose your wheels.

People that steal classic cars specifically do it with tow trucks or trailers with winches and wheel dollies. People that steal newer cars aren't going to even know how to jump the starter solenoid (the only thing that getting the hood open buys you) because on anything with an ECU that doesn't work anyway. They're gonna get in and defeat the ignition, so opening the hood doesn't matter. And anyone with a stiff length of wire ("coat hanger") can open the door on one of these cars (or any hardtop really) in about 10 seconds.

I don't see the fascination with the inside hood release, or even some kind of locking hood pins.

Ok, so they opened the hood, so what? Without a handful of tools and a bunch of time they're not stealing much more than the air filter or cap and wires. And if you're parked out on the street for long periods of time the stuff under the hood isn't the expensive resale stuff anyway, more likely to lose your wheels.

People that steal classic cars specifically do it with tow trucks or trailers with winches and wheel dollies. People that steal newer cars aren't going to even know how to jump the starter solenoid (the only thing that getting the hood open buys you) because on anything with an ECU that doesn't work anyway. They're gonna get in and defeat the ignition, so opening the hood doesn't matter. And anyone with a stiff length of wire ("coat hanger") can open the door on one of these cars (or any hardtop really) in about 10 seconds.
I do agree with this.

What I do it for is to create one more barrier to prevent the unskilled thief from messing my stuff up.....although it could be creating one more barrier that the perp will f##$ something up too.......

Yeah, dunno why. Good point.

I do agree with this.

What I do it for is to create one more barrier to prevent the unskilled thief from messing my stuff up.....although it could be creating one more barrier that the perp will f##$ something up too.......

Yeah, dunno why. Good point.

I get the thought, but an unskilled thief is just gonna break the window. A skilled thief will be inside without breaking the window in no time flat, with nothing but a length of wire. And a classic car thief will just have it on a rollback without even bothering to unlock it.

-
Back