Hood scoop or no hood scoop, you tell me!

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
I can't decide if I want to put a hood scoop on my 1966 Valiant, or leave it the way it is now. The one I have is a 68 Mopar super stock scoop. I like the old school look of the air cleaner poking through, it grabs a lot of attention at the stop lights when the engine is shaking and rumbling like mad! I don't like how water can get in, I used door edge moulding around the edge of the hole I cut, that diverts some away. The hood scoop looks cool too when I set it on the hood, but maybe it is too big? I am starting to like the max-wedge 63-64 style better, I also like the "dual snorkle" 72-73 a-body one too but I feel it is too new for my car? If I mount the 68 scoop, I will have to drill several little holes (never mind the big one) so I want to make sure I like it cause a different one may not line up later if I change my mind. I do like how aggressive the 68 one looks! Check out my pics, let me know what you think, Thanks! Keith.

junkyard 025.jpg

junkyard 024.jpg

junkyard 020.jpg

junkyard 021.jpg

i like the look of the scoop too but you need to be the one who likes it. Justin

I like the scoop too, but I think it would look better mounted forward a few more inches ... my .02

Kenny

SCOOP SCOOP SCOOP LOVE THE SCOOP!!! Make sure to use some support rods at the inlet, looks cooler & strengthens assembly.

Narrow one inch on each side! then it will be smaller! LOL

I like the scoop, but it does seem to take over. Send it here and I'll get my saw and fiberglass out....

I like the scoop too, but I think it would look better mounted forward a few more inches ... my .02

Kenny

I agree it looks great,but move it forward a few inches,and black the whole hood out when you paint the car...

i think it would look alot better with a scoop... i'm not crazy about that scoop on that body style though....

i'm thinking a 64 or 65 ish scoop.. kinda like this one.. i think it goes better with the body.

113_0411_46z+1964_plymouth_lawman+side_view.jpg

had this style (without the scoop sticking out of the scoop..lol) on my 64 valiant and it blended intot the body very well...

small-scoop-02.jpg

I like the scoop as well, but like mentioned above, I would move it forward about two inches if possible. Also, for something a little more unique, you could always shave an inch or so off the bottom of that '68 scoop... That way it's not quite so tall, and it won't overpower the look of the rest of the car.

Just my $.02.

I think the 6 pack scoop is more to the correct scale to an early a-body.

naaa... personally i'm sick of seeing the 6-pack scoops on everything... plus its too bulky for an early a-body in my opinion... the early b-scoop blends alot better in my opinion... but hey its not my car. do it the way you like.

I like the scoop. Not a fan of air cleaner sticking out of
the hood. Leave that for the Chevy guys.

Agreed; I like either a Scoop, or a flat hood.

BTW, are you going to paint the fenders to match the rest of the car?

I have a 4bbl on my engine with the stock hood.

Merry Christmas to All. :)

100_0471Medium.JPG

100_0401a1Small.jpg

I like that scoop but not sure if I like it on that car. I think a Max wedge scoop would look better.

http://www.inlandmoparscarclub.com
Keith - take a look at our club website and see the way the scoop on our '68 Valiant raffle car is going to look. Front end is similar to your '66 Valiant. I think this style is much cleaner for your car and doesn't overpower like the hemi scoop does. You can always PM me if you're interested in getting raffle tickets for our '68 Valiant. $5 donation benefiting California School for the Deaf in Riverside, California. The paint is supposed to be completed this week. I'll take photos next weekend and post progress pics on another thread titled "Tickets Avail.-'68 Valiant Charity Raffle Car".

Scoop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I like the scoop, but I'd like to see a 3/4 front view from a bit farther off to get a really good idea of how it'll look. I agree that the six pack scoops are seen all over the place, but they do look good on certain body styles. Here's a couple of pics of other scoops I like. The first one is a scoop for a 67 Mustang (don't tell anybody!). Before I put a scoop on my car, I thought really long & hard (That doesn't sound good) about one of these. The other one is the scoop I'm going to put on my daily driver AMC Eagle wagon. Just suggestions. The one that abodyjoe suggested would look good too. Maybe somebody can photoshop some more ideas to help you make up your mind. Do what you like.

:burnout:

fiberglass_hood_scoop_67.jpg

StealthHood2.jpg

I vote for the scoop with a support rod in the center of the opening, black hood and scoop.

Bob

I sort of wish I blacked out my hood also, but had run out of black paint when finishing the car!

Any thing but the open hood/aircleaner look. The 'early '60's max wedge scoop suits these cars pretty good in my opinion.......... Generic 6 pak has been done to death. Sorry Robb. Just my 2 cents! (Canadian) of course!:scratch:

i think you need a cowl induction hood. THAT would look cool............

-
Back