Hooker to TTI question

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
I have a 408 with aluminum heads and a 242-248 @ 0.050 .544 lift cam in a 73 Duster with a Tremec 5 speed and Dana 60 with a 3" exhaust out at the back bumper, stock-appearing A-body tips configuration. Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.

It currently has a set of old school Hooker 1 5/8" uncoated under the steering link headers. The are quite noisy, with a that old school tink tink header sound, that I've frankly grown tired of. Also, I get a lot of exhaust rumble and noise coming from under my feet, even though there are no exhaust leaks. I really want a quieter exhaust, somewhat similar to my 66 cuda with a stock 273 and manifold into a 2 1/4" pipes with crossover and turbo mufflers, although they do have a slight drone. However, all of the exhaust noise comes from the back of the car.

I am considering 3 options:

1. I have a set of stock exhaust manifolds (unlikely)

2. I have a set of ceramic coated Hooker headers (used) that are the same as what I have on the car now, except coated.

3. Am considering a set of TTI headers, ceramic coated.

QUESTIONS:
What are your thoughts on the above 3 options?
Which will cut down on the header/under foot noise?

I'd go with the TTI headers. They are better quality and probably thicker gauge tubing than the Hookers.

None of the above. Investigate insulating the firewall / floor. No suggestions on mufflers.

-
Back