Horn Contact Ring Help .... Ring Not Contacting Turn Signal Switch Contact

-

John Wymore

Reaction score
I have a 70 Dart Swinger that the horn has never worked since purchased. I got around to fixing it this week and after tracing and testing all wiring I found that there is a gap of about 1/8" to 3/16" between the steering wheel contact ring and the roller contact on the turn signal switch. Everything else seems to line up properly so I am guessing I have either an incorrect steering wheel or TS switch. Can you experts please take a look at my pics and see if something looks wrong? Thanks!!

IMG_2776.jpeg

IMG_2775.jpeg

IMG_2773.jpeg

IMG_2777.jpeg

Looking at this photo was the master spline on the steering wheel lined up to the master spline on the shaft? The spline area I circled looks chewed up to me. It also looks like the nut only engaged about 6 threads. If the splines are boogered up the wheel could be hanging up and not sliding all the way on.

5B2D6883-65F0-413B-A7F2-F2739747D68A.jpeg

If the splines are boogered up the wheel could be hanging up and not sliding all the way on
Funny you should say that. I noticed the shaft too but dismissed it.

IIRC there is a keyway spline on the column and on the wheel if the two were not lined up wouldn't that too prevent the wheel from sitting all the way down, mark up the splines?

Hi Dana, yes there is a “key” on the wheel and shaft and the splines around the dark colored spline looks to me like they’re rough or damaged, like the keys weren’t aligned. If that’s the case a little work with a file should clean it up.

Thanks guys, but the wheel slides onto the splines fine and goes all the way down. The little roller on the the TS switch sits at the same height as the shelf on the shaft that the base of the wheel sits against, yet the contact ring is 3/16" above that shelf on the wheel (see pic with ruler). I noticed in looking at replacement parts that 69 switches all seem to show that rolloer like mine have but 70 switches just have a spring loaded pin. I'm not sure if 69's had the flasher button on the switch tho? Can anyone confirm if maybe there was a height difference between the 69 & 70 switches? BTW, the gap from the wheel to the column housing is good which also confirms the wheel is going on all the way. Always something on these old beasts!! lol

The turn signal switch with roller was used on all Valiant, Dart and Duster cars in the 60's and 70's. Even the Aspen and Volare used the switch with the roller. The roller type switch was replaced by the pin style in the early 80's. Most of the aftermarket replacement switches made today are the pin style.

Sorry to take the post too far in the weeds on the splines. John do you have a manual for your car? Here’s a link to download.

Service Manuals – MyMopar

Browsing through it, it does appear that the hazard switch was not in the column on a 1970. But that’s not to say there wasn’t a mid year change or what’s been done to the car in 50 years. 1970 was a changeover year.

There’s also part number manuals available too.
Resource Library – MyMopar

I’ve got a 71 steering wheel for my Demon from the horn contact to the splined face measures 5/16” like yours if that helps you.

Sorry to take the post too far in the weeds on the splines. John do you have a manual for your car? Here’s a link to download.

Service Manuals – MyMopar

Browsing through it, it does appear that the hazard switch was not in the column on a 1970. But that’s not to say there wasn’t a mid year change or what’s been done to the car in 50 years. 1970 was a changeover year.

There’s also part number manuals available too.
Resource Library – MyMopar

I’ve got a 71 steering wheel for my Demon from the horn contact to the splined face measures 5/16” like yours if that helps you.
Thank you. I assume this had to work at some point, but I have no idea what might have been swapped by previous owners. Since it hasn't worked in my ownership who knows how long it hasn't worked. I'd like to figure it out but worst case I guess I can fabicate a thicker contact ring to solve the problem.

The last thing you will want to do is change out the turn signal switch. Most replacements on the market are junk (I found out the hard way). If you think it's the wrong switch there is a member here that sells quality switches and can most likely tell you if it's correct for your year. I'm not sure of his name but one of the other members should remember him. Looking at your picture it looks like there has never been contact on the steering wheel ring.

John I'm pretty sure this is a link to the guy with the quality switches.

[/URL]
Thanks for this link .... I have already ordered and installed the replacement switch and ring from Classic Industries. I agree, the quality of that switch is not up to the OEM level but it did indeed solve my issue. I did the new ring only because the insulation on my old one was falling apart. Still a mystery why the contact on the switch I had did not touch the ring. The contact on the replacement switch sits a good 1/8" to 3/16" higher than the one on the switch I had.

-
Back