Horror Freight Titanium Mig 140---Seek Honest Assessment from the Pro's

-

Hemioutlaw

Make America Great Again!
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
I've already done a forum search on welder opinions and folks that are wayyyyy more knowledgeable than myself sure seem to like the Miller 211, this isn't up for debate here.

What i'm seeking is advice on whether this:
MIG 140 Professional Welder with 120 Volt Input

would be a total waste of my hard earned dollars or if you think it should perform what I would like it to do which is chiefly welding some custom aluminum brackets i'd like to build out of 3/16-1/4" Aluminium and the occasional welding of up to 1/4" steel.

I have absolutely zero welding experience but I'm a good learner, i'm also getting up there in years which is why i'm somewhat reluctant to drop the additional coinage on a quality unit like the Miller. Space is also at a premium for me as i've already got 25,000 lbs. of stuff in a 15,000 lb. box.

*I should have posed this question earlier but I've got a 25% coupon in hand that expires today which means I can I can get this for $300, looking at the accessories included of which I don't see a helmet i'd hate to get this and then have to spend another fortune to get it going. From just reading overnight I got the impression that Argon is necessary to cleanly weld aluminum so there is more cost, I'd obviously need a spool of Aluminum and curious if this welder would take an easily obtainable sized spool as I don't know a thing about standard spool sizing. It also states that I need an "additional" spool gun to weld aluminum, which made me curious because it already comes with what appears to be a spool gun so I can only surmise that steel and aluminum use different guns because of the Argon element?

I tried to lay out exactly what i'm looking for and Gonna be under the car so may not have alot of time to respond but y'all got a chance to SPEND or NOT my $$$. I'll check back in later today and see what the consensus is as if it's a thumbs up they close at Six today.

Appreciate the feedback In Advance!

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
The Titanium™ MIG 140 Professional Welder is a versatile wire feed welder with easy-to-use controls for trouble-free welding. The heavy duty all-metal drive system easily feeds solid and flux core wire and can be set up without tools. The MIG 140 Professional Welder is spool-gun ready for welding aluminum (spool gun sold separately). Ready to weld out of the box.

• Easy-to-use welding controls for trouble-free welding
  • Inverter technology for better arc start
  • Tool free design for easy process or wire changeover
  • Weighs only 24 lb. - ideal for shop or field use
  • Heavy duty all-metal drive system
  • Spool gun ready - no adapter required
REPLACEMENT PARTS IN STOCK
Call to Order: 1-800-444-3353

Owner's Manual & Safety Instructions (PDF)
Quick Start Guide (PDF)

SPECIFICATIONS
SKU(s)
Brand
Titanium
Model
TI-MIG140
Input Voltage
Wire Feed Speed
80 to 275 inches per minute
Accessories Included
Ground clamp, 180A MIG gun, 0.030 in. Solid and Flux-cored Wire spools, qty. (2) 0.030 in. contact tips, gas regulator with 6 ft. gas hose, gas nozzle, gasless nozzle, drive rolls 0.025 in.-0.035 in. solid, 0.030 in. -0.035 in. flux cored
Amperage (amps)
30A-140A DC
Certification
CSA
Duty cycle
90A /120V / 30% / 23A input
Maximum amperage output (amps)
140A
Minimum amperage output (amps)
30A
Open Circuit Voltage
Product Height
15-5/8 in.
Product Length
19-7/8 in.
Product Weight
24 lb.
Product Width
8-3/8 in.
Shipping Weight
37.50 lb.
Thermal Overload Protection (y/n)
Yes
Weldable metals
Steel, stainless steel, and aluminum (with optional spool gun)
Welding capacities
Steel: 24 ga. - 5/16 in.; Aluminum (with optional spool gun) 16 ga. - 3/16 in.
Wire Size
0.025 in. (0.6mm), 0.030 in. (0.8mm), 0.035 in. (0.9mm)

64804_W1TOT.jpg
64804_W2SS.jpg
64804_W4.jpg
64804_W5.jpg
64804_W11.jpg

First, I have no experience with THAT welder. I do have a welder. I can weld. Been doing it a long time. Here is what I would RECOMMEND. Make sure that welder uses common, easy to obtain replacement parts and NOT HF specific stuff. What if they go out of business? You want to make sure you can still buy parts for it.

HF has stepped up their game in the last year or so. With their hand tools, tool boxes and now other things like welders. So it stands to reason they are in the game to stay. Hopefully.

Also, how will you be using it? Professionally? As a home hobbyist? That would play a role in my decision, I believe. When something is less costly than a competing product, there's always a reason. Sometimes it's just that a certain company is trying to undercut the competition. Most times it's because less costly (and sometimes inferior) parts are used. So beware.

That's about all I got. Just do your research before you pull the trigger.......kinda like you're doin here.

Lastly, get ready for those to come crap all over anything Harbor Freight that have never used what you are asking about. They're comin. I promise. lol

Without looking at any of those videos I can safely say any flux core welder in that price range will produce nice bird **** welds on steel. You will need to convert it to gas to get any kind of decent welds.

140 amps is not much for welding aluminum. Might be able to weld 1/8" material. The last Lincoln welder with a spool gun I owned was 250 amps AC or DC. I used it to repair my truck equipment when needed... trailer rails, brackets, fuel tanks and the like. I needed all of that amperage. A 140 amp machine will be severely limited in the materials it can weld.

First, I have no experience with THAT welder. I do have a welder. I can weld. Been doing it a long time. Here is what I would RECOMMEND. Make sure that welder uses common, easy to obtain replacement parts and NOT HF specific stuff. What if they go out of business? You want to make sure you can still buy parts for it.

HF has stepped up their game in the last year or so. With their hand tools, tool boxes and now other things like welders. So it stands to reason they are in the game to stay. Hopefully.

Also, how will you be using it? Professionally? As a home hobbyist? That would play a role in my decision, I believe. When something is less costly than a competing product, there's always a reason. Sometimes it's just that a certain company is trying to undercut the competition. Most times it's because less costly (and sometimes inferior) parts are used. So beware.

That's about all I got. Just do your research before you pull the trigger.......kinda like you're doin here.

Lastly, get ready for those to come crap all over anything Harbor Freight that have never used what you are asking about. They're comin. I promise. lol

Thx RRR,
Truly to be used as a hobbiest and your sound advice is well heeded. I've alway's purchased quality measuring tool's to perform my daily job as a prototype machinist but I've bought some HF stuff for limited home use and it's performed well for many years. A pool pump and pole saw are both going on over 7 yrs now and still up to the task.

You may want to check this out. Comes with the aluminum spool included. Also, you can weld with gas or flux core. Looks like it's on sale right now.

I have one and it works well. I know some guys dont like Eastwood products, but I outfitted my shop with their gear and I only had an issue with 1 thing, an orbital palm sander. So far everything is performing well, been about a year and a half.

Eastwood MIG 175 Aluminum Welder with Spool Gun

Thx RRR,
Truly to be used as a hobbiest and your sound advice is well heeded. I've alway's purchased quality measuring tool's to perform my daily job as a prototype machinist but I've bought some HF stuff for limited home use and it's performed well for many years. A pool pump and pole saw are both going on over 7 yrs now and still up to the task.

It may well be a good one. I have their 40V electric pole saw myself and so far, it works very well.

Without looking at any of those videos I can safely say any flux core welder in that price range will produce nice bird **** welds on steel. You will need to convert it to gas to get any kind of decent welds.

140 amps is not much for welding aluminum. Might be able to weld 1/8" material. The last Lincoln welder with a spool gun I owned was 250 amps AC or DC. I used it to repair my truck equipment when needed... trailer rails, brackets, fuel tanks and the like. I needed all of that amperage. A 140 amp machine will be severely limited in the materials it can weld.

It's not just flux. It comes with everything but the tank to convert to MIG.

140 Amps is plenty for automotive. My Tweco 141i is a 140 amp machine. Does great. I welded a few cattle stanchions for a buddy with the 99 dollar flux core special. The welds looked good and they were intact 3 years later after selling his herd.

I don't see a spool gun in the pics. Aluminum wire doesn't like to be pushed. It can be done if the liner leading to the gun is kept with minimal kinks/bends while welding. Not gonna get much over 1/8" welding aluminum 3/16" maybe..

Running flux core is a non issue. Sure its smokey, likes to run a bit hotter and it spatters but if one masters it the other wires are a cake walk.

I have done zero research on the machine in question but that's all it would take. A little research. The way they seem to be stepping up it's probably a decent deal.

RRR's advice is always good. Consumables/parts can be an issue. Check out the warranty. They may have a better model by the time a guy starts to have issues.

To help clarify the aluminum spool gun thing. The aluminum wire is soft and if you try to push from rollers in body of welder it will bunch up in liner or rollers will just spin. That is why the spool gun has short distance from roller to tip.

Just noticed it in the specs. 37#. I bet a Miller is 50# or so. Usually the difference between a aluminum wound transformer and a copper wound transformer. I know which one I would rather have.

It's an inverter machine. That's the weight difference. I'm not up on the technology as much as I probably should be. From my experience every inverter machine I have ever ran has been in a small package and pretty dang smooth.

I agree with Krooser, shielding with gas instead of flux core wire is the way to go. Ive got a Lincoln that works OK., wish I had a Miller

I agree with Krooser, shielding with gas instead of flux core wire is the way to go. Ive got a Lincoln that works OK., wish I had a Miller
Yes, flux core sucks. You might as well have a stick welder.

For sure a no contest between self shielded wire and solid wire with a 75/25 mix. However the flux core can be ran successfully with out the bird **** appearance. Millers are great machines.

I have a Hobart 140. When I bought it HF did not have their "better brands" yet. The first few years I used it with flux wire only. My welds were ok, but my son (who has actually done less welding than I have) got some great welds out of it. He's got a better feel for welding than I do. Two years ago I got the gas and changed over. My welds are better with gas.

Need a lot of amps to weld aluminum.
I dont weld aluminum so i cant give specifics. 140 is a fair size for a 110v welder and if you weld heavier steel you will run into problems. Preheating helps on thicker steel.
i did an awful lot of welding with a 100 amp 110 volt (heavy on the awful)
I have since upgraded a couple times in 30 years,last welder was $2700.
Mig,tig and arc in one machine.

not knocking hf welding machines, and if you are new to aluminum welding, i strongly suggest you perhaps consider taking a welding class. at the very least find someone to give you some hands on lessons.

Just noticed it in the specs. 37#. I bet a Miller is 50# or so. Usually the difference between a aluminum wound transformer and a copper wound transformer. I know which one I would rather have.

That's the shipping weight. The welder only weighs 24#

I have a Hobart 140. When I bought it HF did not have their "better brands" yet. The first few years I used it with flux wire only. My welds were ok, but my son (who has actually done less welding than I have) got some great welds out of it. He's got a better feel for welding than I do. Two years ago I got the gas and changed over. My welds are better with gas.

Yes, you can do some nice welds with flux core if you practice. People who say otherwise have not done it enough to know. I welded with mine a few years before I finally got a tank. It came with everything to go MIG but the tank. Once I started looking at sheet metal work, I went MIG.

-
Back