horse power

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
way down the road for me but i notice a lot of posts on turbo applications what are pros and cons of building a bigger motor with nitrous to a motor with turbo

IMO, the question needs to be clearer. However, this is what I got.......

Which is better? Turbo or the laffin gas N02.

Well, IMO, the turbo is a better way to go because theres no refilling the bottle for the extra power. That to me is a pay per ride ticket. I'll purchase the "POP" (Pay One Price) ticket and get the turbo so it will allways be there.

Bigger engine is bigger HP and torque.

with rumble...

I have had 3 turbo cars, (2 factory & 1 home built) and set up 1 NOS system... (never got to run it, long story...) In my experience turbo motors are sweet, cause they can run decent, have good street manors, then spool up for some real fun.

NOS has lots of variables in my experience, and it seems to me like more of a chance breaking/melting parts. I personally wouldn't set it up for a street car again... BUT, lots of guys do, and have great results with it.

JOE

IMO, the question needs to be clearer. However, this is what I got.......

Which is better? Turbo or the laffin gas N02.

Well, IMO, the turbo is a better way to go because theres no refilling the bottle for the extra power. That to me is a pay per ride ticket. I'll purchase the "POP" (Pay One Price) ticket and get the turbo so it will allways be there.

Bigger engine is bigger HP and torque.
ok wich cost more to build i am looking 1 year at gathering parts so what do yall think wont be going to track just want something spunky around town

Power is power. Decide how much you want, and how much you have to spend, and we'll go from there.

broke most of the time but needing a list where i can buy parts piece by piece i have a 318 now and looking to buy another318 at first of year so looking to get list of parts i can barter or buy on the cheap and still have a nice running motor that dont mind a lil redlight to redlight fun thanks for all input

From what I have learned Nitro is good in controlled areas like the track. Using it on the street is tricky- uneven pavement with wide open throttle and a shot makes severe lane changes... luckily I didn't drift into the curb. I played with a SRT4 with larger injectors doubled the turbo size (larger than the Cummings) and lots more- my point is I agree with joeboy its eaiser to always have it under the hood- and for just driving around you can get better mpg with a smaller displacement motor- there is a Hot Rod mag. article where a guy who works at a tractor parts store built a budget 5.0 Mustang then abused it on the track- impressive article.
Lee

I like roots type blowers. There's no lag and they are intimidatin as all hell.

If you're broke, You can't do a turbo. Just buy forged pistons, use whatever engine you have, and buy the NO2. When you're broke, you'll have low horsepower. When you're not, you'll have more.

Turbos are alot of money used and then the piping that goes with it is tricky to do. Feeding the turbo requires exhaust to drive the turbine. (OK, this we knew) so you must find a way to bend and snake the pipe to the turbo, where ever you mount it. (How is another story)

Since your broke, follow Mopers advice. Build a solid short block and start it with low comprsion (8-1 max ratio) pistons and aftermarket high HP rods.

A easier way to do a "Charged" engine is with a supercharger. They come in kits as a bolt on item. This makes the whole chargering of the engine alot quicker and easier to do. Purchase the supercharger kit and a MSD boost ref. retard box and your preety much done. A blow through, carb specific carb is an added expense with some systems. And a expensive one.

The Paxton kit does not need a blow through carb. It has a enclosure that the carb sits in.

The SuperCharger store and other places will require a blow through carb for best performance and it should be a blow through carb used with this system set up.

Current Mags that high lighted these systems, turbo and supercharger would be the current issue of Car Craft.
Mopar Muscule did a Super Charger 318 build up in May, 2010. In the naturaly asperated form, the 8.5-1 engine made 370 HP. Not bad for a 318 right?
After bolting on a SuperCharger store set up, it wacked out 662 HP.
This set up/kit also used water injection to max out the bvlowers capabilties, in which it surplied 11-1/2 lbs. of boost.

Pistons were Diamond forged units and they used total seal rings. (Gapless)

For me, a entry level Paxton super charger is the way to go. Inexpensive and a easy bolt on. Inexpensive is approx. $3,000 bucks. This Paxton kit does not included the needed upgraded electric fuel pump and by-pass valve; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PAX-1201851/

If a turbo is still what your after, contact member Prine, as he loves doing this. Also, in the forced induction area, the biz, SCDE is onboard here and should respond to you. They make some serious HP with turbos.

-
Back