Hot And Cranky !!!!!!!!

-

SD65WAGON

Justin
Reaction score
This is a weird one.......at least for me
When I bought the wagon last summer, the dude I bought it from had had the transmission rebuilt by a local shop for 1800.00.....got the reciept and information along with other docs when I bought the car.
Anyway, last september on a 90 degree plus day I was stuck in traffic for a bit and the car was heating up obviously running in the mid range of the temp guage but still hotter than normal..............I finally arrived at my destination and proceeded to back into a space but the car would not shift into reverse......kinda freaked me out and I just pulled into a spot went in to work and when I came out a couple of hours later all was fine and car shifted normally....drove home and things have worked fine since
Until Yesterday......90 degree day here in San Diego and was stuck driving around downtown looking for a parking place for about 20 minutes at low speed........car getting hotter etc.
Find a parking place go to place car in reverse and ........
Would not shift into reverse......this time I decide to be a bit more clinical about the situation though.....Come to find out it will indeed find reverse....It just happens to be somewhere in between the park position and the reverse position on the column and it seems all shifting positions are shifted one position over on the column indicator
IE: when It is in the D (drive) position , it is actually in the 2nd gear position and will not shift into third, N ....Nuetral position then becomes drive etc.
When I get home and find reverse in that in between position in the column there is a grinding coming from the column when I put it in reverse.......

Anyway, I know how to find the gear positions and I'm not to worried......I park it for the night last night.....It cools off and this morning coming to work it shifts like a champ in all proper positions indicated.......
So I have NEVER done ANY transmission work in my life other than swapping and re-installing a 3 speed and transfer case in my 1966 FJ40. But in my head I have hypothesized some causes :
1) heat build up in the transmission fluid
2) heat build up in he transmission and fluid causing shifting cable stretch thereby changing shift positions on the indicator column.

Please let me know what you guys think....

Does this have an external aftermarket cooler on it......I would put one of those on it....Not sure on the early a-bodies.....on cable stuff

It does not have an external cooler.......lines go to and from radiator only as far as I know.........
Like I said : I know NOTHING about automatic transmissions
The cable Idea was just that.....an Idea
Does anybody concur or think I'm some kind of a dumb a$$ for coming up with that???

I guess even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while..........
Next question is then: Do I go back to shop that rebuilt transmission or is this something I can order and do myself......REMEMBER I have never worked on an automatic before.

I guess even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while..........
Next question is then: Do I go back to shop that rebuilt transmission or is this something I can order and do myself......REMEMBER I have never worked on an automatic before.
Are you mechanically capable of doing this....I doubt it is that big of deal...order the part and do it your self....

Hot And Cranky !!!!!!!!

MAaaaaaaaaan I thought this was a BLUE Room topic.... all well.

Title sounds like my wife! :evil4:

Funny Rumblefish
After getting home today and same thing happened.......90 plus degrees on ride home again....stop and go SOCAL traffic, I broke out the service manual and it kinda seems to sound like the Control cable need adjustment and a filter change might not hurt ......Fluid is clean and red though.
I might have to go to the auto hobby shop on base and just attempt the control cable adjustment and see how that works out.

Anybody else have other ideas????

I haven't dealt with these cables, so this may not be possible. If it doesn't have crimped-on attachment points or something of the sort, it may do some good to slip the cable out of the housing and give the cable itself a light coat of white lithium grease. It may be binding inside the housing just enough to cause this weirdness.

-
Back