Hot Rod Magazine HP 273 build

-
Not being a quarter miler, my 273 suits me fine, it is not stock but close. It was what I had, and to tell the truth mine was almost as fast as a 340. I like the way they wind way up to 7,000 rpm. A stock HP 360 was no match. As you said, if built similarly you can make more power with a larger motor, but will it R up like a 273? Living in the midwest we could cruise at 100 mph for hours and I would run my 273 up to 140 mph. With 4.10 gears it would burn the tires through 1st and 2nd. It was, and still is good enough for me. BTW I have 273s, 340's, 383's and a 440. They are all still stashed away. Not to mention 5 early Hemi's. I sold all the 360's years ago.

Last edited:
273's are great in a lightweight A, believe it or not the world doe not revolve around
all out HP. They where a pretty even match of Fords 271 HP 289. Build a mild 273 sure would, if you think "hotrod" is so fast go race a new Mustang GT and get your
*** kicked. Enjoy 273 for what it is,simple and cool.

I used the Cyclone fenderwell headers and never experienced any exhaust leaks, but I can't remember if they were patterned specifically for the 273 exhaust ports or the larger 340 ports. Edit: Now I remember matching the header exhaust gasket with the cylinder head port a little bit with a Dremel tool mini-grinder.

65 Valiant5 motor.jpg

Last edited:
273's are great in a lightweight A, believe it or not the world doe not revolve around
all out HP. They where a pretty even match of Fords 271 HP 289. Build a mild 273 sure would, if you think "hotrod" is so fast go race a new Mustang GT and get your
*** kicked. Enjoy 273 for what it is,simple and cool.

Exactly. It used to be power to weight ratio was the way it was done. And RPM. I was born one generation too late.

I'd rather watch old Modifed Production racing on YouTube than watch Pro Stock live.

was this sarcasm :)
No sarcasm. The magazine stayed pretty close to stock specs with their build. 67Autocross mentioned that another magazine could have gotten more horsepower. HR Magazine wasn't going for more horsepower. They didn't sponsor the build. The engine was someone elses that wanted a stock HP273 build. HR just tagged along and reported what happened.

The stock manifolds are restrictive but it sounds like the small exhaust valve and ports could be a big factor.
Points out the manifilds were designed around that cid and port. 318 gets by with them as well. Stock 318 would always terrorize a stock 4 brl 350 chevy. Imo the exh ports are actually well matched to the intake ports.

-
Back