Hot Rod Mags all talk about banning our cars

-

djwhog

Reaction score
Has anyone looked at Mopar Collectors Guide, and now this month HotRod Mag?

They are all talking about the doom and gloom of banning our cars.

All I can say is that you need to get involved, I did not want to post this in the politics thread, it is aa general concern for all in the hoobie that want to have our cars and drive them.

Ohio has some crazy laws just passed and being acted on, if a cop even hears you rev an engine they can classify that as ex of speed and impund your ride.

Please help stop this maddness :(

http://blogs.hotrod.com/6688042/car-initiative/can-they-outlaw-hot-rodding/index.html

HOT ROD's December 2010 issue features a story titled "Can They Outlaw Hot Rodding?". Check out some of the snippets from the feature and get inspired to not let your hot rod be banned from public roads.

What You Can Do
Right off the bat we're going to give you the best resource we know to keep you informed about the issues we'll present in this story and how to keep politicians from tampering with our cars. SEMA, the trade association that represents the specialty automotive aftermarket, launched an organization in 1997 called the SEMA Action Network (SAN). The SAN is a partnership of enthusiasts, vehicle clubs, and members of the specialty automotive parts industry in the United States and Canada who have joined forces to promote hobby-friendly legislation and oppose unfair laws. With nearly 40,000 members, 3 million contacts, and the ability to reach 30 million enthusiasts through its membership and the news media, the SAN is unmatched when it comes to defending the rights of the vehicle hobby.

The SAN is on the legislative front lines with a professional government affairs staff that works at the federal level and in all 50 states. They monitor every bill introduced in every state, and information that affects the hobby is delivered to SAN members via the monthly SAN newsletter and targeted email action alerts. These alerts contain information about pending bills as well as speaking points and legislator contact information, so you can reach out to your local representatives and let them know how you want them to vote on bills that affect our hobby.

In addition, SAN members receive access to the SAN website, which features tracked legislation, action alerts, guidance on letter writing and lobbying elected officials, information on topics such as warranty denial, and ways to identify and contact your legislators.

As you look over the hot-button issues in this story, know that the SAN staff has been and will continue to be involved in shaping laws in our favor, or actively working to defeat those laws harmful to the hobby.

Membership in the SAN is free. For more information and to sign up, log on to SemaSan.com.

The New Threat on the Horizon
We mentioned California's budget deficit, but that's not the only state in financial doo-doo. SEMA's Steve McDonald tells us what the org is seeing this year, unlike in previous years, is plenty of new legislation designed to create new fees for a range of cars-not just for your toy, but your daily driver, too. "There were proposals for taxing your vehicle depending on how many miles it was driven each year. There were taxes proposed that varied depending on vehicle weight, and gas guzzler taxes were being proposed to essentially charge you an additional fee if you purchased a vehicle that was below a certain mpg," McDonald says. Add in the new nationwide fuel-economy standards equating to less fuel consumption, and states are beginning to panic about how the heck they're going to raise money to fix roads and highways. And did we mention registration fees in general are on the rise? The historic class is particularly vulnerable right now, since usually these cars have had a one-time minimal fee; don't be surprised if those become annual.

We are not quite there up here in Canada yet. Hopefully it never comes this way. If they ever try and come to take my car away they will have an ugly fight on their hands!

I hope they don't pass that revving law in california, sometimes my accelerator gets stuck and I have to rev to get it loose lol..

But seriously, if they were to do something like this i'd die, I just barely got into mopar.

What is more american than a V8 powered hotrod? The leaders of this country should be ashamed of what they are doing. :thebirdm:

You know how many rich politicians have hot rods in thier garage's I dont see them passing a law that say's they cant use them anymore any time soon just my thought

Well in years past it was some BS blog stuff, but there are actual bills and it is part of the Feds cap and trade(tax) bill.

I agree, I dont want this to be a politics, but it is what it is.

Guys when I lived in Cal for 40 years during the clinton years I paid this in taxes

39% fed
11% state
medicare
medical
SDI
Local taxes
SS tax

Bottom line is after I grossed $128k, I saw $52,200 and change. Then you have local tax on everything, cars, gas sales tax etc.

Trash, phone. utils when is enough enough.

I loved most the people and the state, but the politics made me a (native) leave to WY 11 years ago. I need to keep more of what I make and have more freedom. No smog BS laws here and no state tax either. :)

Just people need not look the other way anymore.

I for one am not, now that does not mean I am going to be depressed, obsessed or feel like I waste my life on the crap, but I am not going to say oh well and do nothing.

And if more of us did a little, like send all the jerks packing and make them ge a real job it is a start.

I am tired of making the idiots pay checks!

I want my life, car, family and most of what I earn so my wife and kids can have a decent live.
I think that is not asking a lot! :)

You know how many rich politicians have hot rods in thier garage's I dont see them passing a law that say's they cant use them anymore any time soon just my thought

KEY word (RICH) Most of us are not and they will max it taxed hi and force many of us to the way side.

Just dont asume it wont pass and someone else will look into, get your 2 cents in is all.

Yeah, every year about this time, in conjunction with their Las Vegas party, SEMA goes on a publicity binge with doom-and-gloom stories telling fibs about laws that might have passed but don't say or mean what SEMA claims they say or mean. It's SEMA's equivalent of those annual public-television fund drives: Join up, become a member, send us money. Every year it's another flavor of the same breathless hype about how the old-car/hot rod hobby is || ← that close to being legislated out of existence and joining SEMA is your only hope to save your car from the politicians and the cops, blah blahbitty blah blah. Been watching 'em do it for about 15 years now; I don't figure they're going to stop any time soon.

This is what SEMA has always been about, keeping our culture alive. I have been a member for 25 years no matter what cars I drive.

Big problem today and tomorrow is gasoline and the fact that they will add another 5% ethanol to the 10% already in it. Where I live we can still get ethanol free gasoline but who know, that's probably gonna go south soon as the GOP come back to screw us.

Oh well, another day in paradise :)

Although it wouldn't surprise me that some dog **** POWER TRIP legislation would pass on a federal level , I also recognise just how FU*KING stupid it would be on the honky politicians' part to try to FU*K with the easily-targeted car folks AGAIN !!

Really , these bullshit environmental laws and regulations are nothing more than money-making ( e.g. , TAXES ) schemes . If these *** hats *actually* cared about pollution ( etc. ) , they would target the following :

1. Manufactures of electronic crap . These nerds keep pushing this new-but-outdated-by-the-time-you-can-buy-it iPods , et al. , only to have the crap wear-out in a scant few months to one year .
CHINA gets the "old" electronic garbage , and has a giant bonfire and burns all of those toxic chemicals , right into "our" atmosphere !!!

2. Driver's Licenses . STOP giving licenses to just anyone who has a pulse ( except in Hemet , Sun City and Miami ) , but isn't qualified to operate a popcorn machine !!!

3. FIX THE GOD DAMNED ROADS !!!!
Out here in Taxifornia , we pay at least 40 cents / gallon in taxes , and that's for gasoline (!!) The poor bastards that own diesel-powered vehicles pay even more , not to mention the "Road Tax" that every diesel-powered vehicle pays for regardless of its weight or intended use !!!
Back to the original point : at that much in god damned taxes , these fu*king roads should be smoother than a baby's *** ; not one single pot hole anywhere !!!

Sitting , idling , in stupid , gridlocked traffic does nothing more than unnecessarily burn hydrocarbons into the air ; wastes precious gas and diesel ; causes extraordinary wear and tear on the motors ; and inflames peoples' irritation levels , so that when traffic clears , they have to go 80+ mph to "make-up" for lost time !!!!

LOUD AND CLEAR :

STOP FUC*ING WITH OUR HOBBY , you **** assed , honky , co*k-sucking , politicians !!!!

Come and take my car . I dare you . :thebirdm: !
You'll be met by one angry Blue Collar son-of-a-***** , whom WILL blow your god damned head off :thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm:

The one main thing that always pisses me off about all this is the big push to buy a newer "cleaner" car. Most times you are force fed all this b.s. about how horrible your 10+ year old car is for the environment. So every 10 years I'm supposed to buy a brand new car? WTF!? I mean really do you think it's better to have junked my '64 and gone through say 5 cars since then? HOW MUCH POLLUTION DO YOU THINK IT TAKES TO PRODUCE 5 CARS!!! Asshats. Sure a newer car is cleaner and better for the environment but most newer vehicles are also crap in the long run. Econo-boxes are great for MPG but what good is that when in ten years most are sitting at a local junk yard?

We are not quite there up here in Canada yet. Hopefully it never comes this way. If they ever try and come to take my car away they will have an ugly fight on their hands!

As an ex Manitoban, I know what MPI has been doing to the motorcyclists for years now. The politicians sure ain't your friend up there.

This is what SEMA has always been about, keeping our culture alive. I have been a member for 25 years no matter what cars I drive.

Big problem today and tomorrow is gasoline and the fact that they will add another 5% ethanol to the 10% already in it. Where I live we can still get ethanol free gasoline but who know, that's probably gonna go south soon as the GOP come back to screw us.

Oh well, another day in paradise :)

My '95 z-26 beretta wont even run right with 10%....... The bastards want our older cars to quit running, then thay think we'll all go out and buy new ones.. I'm smart enough to figure out all their bullsh!t and mind games, screw em' all !!!!

It is already like that here.......rev your car (unnecessarily) and you get fined (about $345), chirp the wheels ( same thing $ ), exhaust too loud ( get fined & inspected ), have your car stereo too loud, same thing, $$$.
Don't bother going out.....cops (traffic branch) are out and they are a damn pest.
They ( Govt ) spend more money on detection devices/traffic branch, than crime investigation here.....no money to be had in crime investigation, eh?

Although it wouldn't surprise me that some dog **** POWER TRIP legislation would pass on a federal level , I also recognise just how FU*KING stupid it would be on the honky politicians' part to try to FU*K with the easily-targeted car folks AGAIN !!

Really , these bullshit environmental laws and regulations are nothing more than money-making ( e.g. , TAXES ) schemes . If these *** hats *actually* cared about pollution ( etc. ) , they would target the following :

1. Manufactures of electronic crap . These nerds keep pushing this new-but-outdated-by-the-time-you-can-buy-it iPods , et al. , only to have the crap wear-out in a scant few months to one year .
CHINA gets the "old" electronic garbage , and has a giant bonfire and burns all of those toxic chemicals , right into "our" atmosphere !!!

2. Driver's Licenses . STOP giving licenses to just anyone who has a pulse ( except in Hemet , Sun City and Miami ) , but isn't qualified to operate a popcorn machine !!!

3. FIX THE GOD DAMNED ROADS !!!!
Out here in Taxifornia , we pay at least 40 cents / gallon in taxes , and that's for gasoline (!!) The poor bastards that own diesel-powered vehicles pay even more , not to mention the "Road Tax" that every diesel-powered vehicle pays for regardless of its weight or intended use !!!
Back to the original point : at that much in god damned taxes , these fu*king roads should be smoother than a baby's *** ; not one single pot hole anywhere !!!

Sitting , idling , in stupid , gridlocked traffic does nothing more than unnecessarily burn hydrocarbons into the air ; wastes precious gas and diesel ; causes extraordinary wear and tear on the motors ; and inflames peoples' irritation levels , so that when traffic clears , they have to go 80+ mph to "make-up" for lost time !!!!

LOUD AND CLEAR :

STOP FUC*ING WITH OUR HOBBY , you **** assed , honky , co*k-sucking , politicians !!!!

Come and take my car . I dare you . :thebirdm: !
You'll be met by one angry Blue Collar son-of-a-***** , whom WILL blow your god damned head off :thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm:

Tell us how you really feel!

To paraphrase the NRA, they can have my hot rod when they pry my cold dead *** from behind the seat.

Now don't get your underwear in a wad and jump all over me for saying this, but I see a lot of reaction on this thread but not much action.
I subscribe to a number of enthusiast magazines and this topic has been the cover topic of most all of them this month. True, the message is being put out there by SEMA. The main message I've gotten is to join SAN (SEMA Action Network) and get involved by knowing who the enthusiast-supportive politicians are and voting accordingly. Joining SAN is free and they will keep you informed by email about legislative action taking place on both the state level and national level.
So, come on guys, don't just react, take some action to help save our hobby. The 'bad guys' count on us just sitting back and doing nothing.

I agree with what the SAN has to say about our hobby. Sure they might state the "extreme" end result when it comes to our hobby being "86'd", but think of it. The NRA did the same thing years ago to raise awareness to the legislation that was going on at the time. It drew in alot of sportsmen, who, legally owned their guns, that the government was trying to ban.
Up here in MI, the sportfisherman have been battling the problem of the Asian Carp problem for almost a decade. Now that the Carp is at our doorstep (Lake Michigan), They are now finally starting to do "tests" to see what it's impact would be. BUT, our commander in cheek, being form IL, does not want to have the water system in Chi-town blocked off from Lk. MI. I guess too many rich folks there have boats.
Anyway, do you see my point? If the SAN just put out little notes saying that the government was trying to pass a law for more ethanol content in our gas, would you raise an eyebrow to that? But, by posting news of extreme government views on our hobby, it raises the ire in most of us. Just my .02.

I think it's required that someone post this now:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S25Alq_eLBE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S25Alq_eLBE[/ame]

Doh! I should have posted this one to begin with:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epr144KsKGI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epr144KsKGI[/ame]

Quit your bitchin and complaining here and direct it to your congressman & senators. Make these idiots know how you feel. If you don't your part of the problem.

Now don't get your underwear in a wad and jump all over me for saying this, but I see a lot of reaction on this thread but not much action.
I subscribe to a number of enthusiast magazines and this topic has been the cover topic of most all of them this month. True, the message is being put out there by SEMA. The main message I've gotten is to join SAN (SEMA Action Network) and get involved by knowing who the enthusiast-supportive politicians are and voting accordingly. Joining SAN is free and they will keep you informed by email about legislative action taking place on both the state level and national level.
So, come on guys, don't just react, take some action to help save our hobby. The 'bad guys' count on us just sitting back and doing nothing.

Thank you! :)

-
Back