Hotchkis rear leafs or rms 4 link? Any thoughts?

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to improve the handling of my 67 Dart. I was looking at the 4 link rear suspension that Reilly has or just going with rear leafs from Hotchkis. Looking for some input.

What do you want to do with the car, street/strip, street/auto cross, street/road course?

Yea, you mainly gotta give what your plans are. If you plan to just cruise and no true racing of drag/autocross, then IMO no since spending the money and extra modification for the 4-link unless you just want the extra ability and nice feeling.

But, of course for me, I don't plan to do any of that professionally and I am going with full RMS, so I can't speak much.

Now with that said, both are very good, I have seen both on the track and both performed very well when compared with other systems. (Saw a 69 charger with a 6.1 swap and keisler 5spd w/ hotchkis full system walking away from a 2010 charger srt8)

So, all up to what you wanna do, spend, and have.

I am wanting to improve the handling of my 67 Dart. I was looking at the 4 link rear suspension that Reilly has or just going with rear leafs from Hotchkis. Looking for some input.

I don't think you would see much change in lap times from one to the other on a track once they would both be set up. I would guess that the street lynx rides better and is more adjustable which can be good and bad.
I would guess that the Hotchkis springs may even weigh less than the 4 link set up.

I would like to do some autocross but it won't be professional.Just for fun. Just trying to justify the extra cash for the 4 link setup. Front is set up with firm feel 1" torsion bars and tubular upper control arms, 1.25" sway bar, kybs and running 17x8 rims and tires.

I would like to do some autocross but it won't be professional.Just for fun. Just trying to justify the extra cash for the 4 link setup. Front is set up with firm feel 1" torsion bars and tubular upper control arms, 1.25" sway bar, kybs and running 17x8 rims and tires.

Looking at what your running I would say that you should go with the Hotchkis rear springs and spend the money you saved from the 4 link on better shocks for the car than the kyb's.

Just what I was thinking too. Thanks for the input everyone.

If you do buy the Hotchkis springs see if you could weigh the pair them with the hangers and rear shackles and post the total. I put a complete street lynx set up that I have sitting in the shop on the scale and it is right around 60 lbs in total.

I think I may stay with the setup I have for now and get the RCD Bilstein shocks. I have a new set of 6 leaf springs with the lowering front shackles and a 1" drop block. Running a 7/8" rear swaybar as well. I have been collecting parts to build my own tri-4 link rear setup and may pursue that later. Hotchkis did tell me 90lbs for shipping if that helps. Does the 60lbs include the coilovers too? What kind of coilovers are you using with the lynx setup?

I would say properly set up you would like the 4 link. However, tailpipes can be tricky as the TTIs won't fit. Also, you really need to invest in good shocks on that setup. I have zero confidence in the Varishock pieces for street usage. If you are going to fab something, go with a 3 link. Typically, leafs are 39lbs each.

However, tailpipes can be tricky as the TTIs won't fit. Also, you really need to invest in good shocks on that setup. I have zero confidence in the Varishock pieces for street usage.

tti tail pipes will fit with the newer street lynx kits i believe.. and yea verishock suck. i broke one of those bitches. street lynx comes with QA1 or affco schocks which are fine on the street..

I think I may stay with the setup I have for now and get the RCD Bilstein shocks. I have a new set of 6 leaf springs with the lowering front shackles and a 1" drop block. Running a 7/8" rear swaybar as well. I have been collecting parts to build my own tri-4 link rear setup and may pursue that later. Hotchkis did tell me 90lbs for shipping if that helps. Does the 60lbs include the coilovers too? What kind of coilovers are you using with the lynx setup?

The coil overs are QA1's, one thing I should add is that 60lbs is if you weld your own brackets to the rear axle that the shocks and lower arms bolt to, if you use the plates that come with the RMS kit it would add another 10lbs to it putting into the 70lb range.

looking at what your running i would say that you should go with the hotchkis rear springs and spend the money you saved from the 4 link on better shocks for the car than the kyb's.

x2

I adapted this panhard set-up. Made a huge difference in cornering quickness. Corners sharper. Also have an adjustable rear sway bar
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...ion/mr-phr.htm
$370 bucks not including Shocks

Check this out and works great. My frame rails were pretty close and didnt take much modifying.There are lots of people Road racing and Autoxing old mustangs . Lots of info

i just put a set of Flex Form fiberglass leafs in my duster. ride nice on the strret compared to the SS springs. not sure about auto-x yet though.

-
Back