Hotrod magazine LA BUILD VERSUS LS

-
Did they mention the build cost???
Hughesengines has the roller spring Victors for $1590 each.
$901 for the rocker arms they used.

That’s $4070 so far....

Add a Hughes stroker kit for $2400 - $2500.
FWIW, the above is the EZ button answer. Who knows what exact rods they used ($$$) and how much the custom pistons costed them.

$6570!

Add TTI headers instead of making your own?
$1000.

$7500+. Just in parts

Last edited:
The intake manifold was a large challenge for the project. Besides adapting the W2-style bolt pattern to the W5-pattern heads, the passages had to be reshaped to match the intake ports. It took Valley Performance’s Jack Barna two months of scouring the internet before he found the vintage Holley Pro Dominator tunnel ram.

The manifold’s intake runners were originally D-shaped and didn’t line up with the heads’ intake ports, so Valley Performance went to work reshaping them until they did. The goal was to make the runners blend with the ports, with the larger radius of each runner at the top to optimize velocity.

I’m pretty sure I sold him that manifold
Awesome build !!!

I knew the G3 Hemi was better than the LS, but the wedge-head SBM? I would feel like a total schmuck if I was a Chevy guy right now. YESSS GM feel the burrrn!

Sorry I'm just biased against Chevy, I hate them a little too much (?) lol

Awesome motor if you have deep pockets and money isn’t a limiting factor!

The real secret to any engine making power is air flow, air flow, air flow. Followed by a stable valve train and fast rising valves. If you have a short coming on one of these, your going to be limited.

Don’t forget to add in the cost of buying a good block. I don’t think to many guys would be going out and bore a 360 block out to 4.100 and Racing it. I like my car and would rather not go slipping and sliding on my own oil, again.

Don’t forget to add in the cost of buying a good block. I don’t think to many guys would be going out and bore a 360 block out to 4.100 and Racing it. I like my car and would rather not go slipping and sliding on my own oil, again.

Apparently they just used a production 5.9L Magnum block and partially filled it with hard-blok, they also modified the block for custom 4-bolt main caps.

Yes, and as was said earlier they did scate on very thin ice.
It survived 70 dyno pulls, but would it live racing in real life?
Guess that was simply not the objective here...

Yes, and as was said earlier they did scate on very thin ice.
It survived 70 dyno pulls, but would it live racing in real life?
Guess that was simply not the objective here...
LOL! No! It is not now is it?!?! The only goal was victory. But hey! I’ll be glad to test it out until it breaks or wears out.

-
Back