how are old paint colors figured out ?

-

rdb

Reaction score
Well have posted before about trollin' for a '64 dart gt convert, and getting it to be like my old one was which means repainting it. Mine was this ivory sort of color (w/ black trim), which appears to have been a stock Dodge color for that year. I actually found an original Mopar paint chip chart, and the color is on there, but sure could have faded in nearly 50 years.

I guess the question is how do paint shops figure out how to match a color that hasn't been seen in years?

You first need to find out which colors were available in that particular model year. Most paint suppliers can make it.

What is the paint code? I have the PPG base clear number book.

The paint code should be on your fender tag. If you have no fender tag, check some references that list the available colors that year. That info has appeared in FABO threads a lot over the years. Do a search on the site for fender tag decoding, paint, etc. Also, there is a website that collects a lot of Chrysler historical data; I think it's name is Hamtramck Historical something-or-other.

P.S. Check here:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

Thanks for the replies. I have just never seen another Dart in this color, or those that had it were repainted something else.

Looking at this paint chip sheet, it is paint code ss-1, and and other number under the chip is 81403 and it is called ivory. So I was just wondering how they can get the paint right, if the only reference (the chip) could be faded.

Chip sheet is original... PPG paint, "Ditzler Automotive Finishes"

Will check out those sites... thanks.

rb

Is the mixture amounts on the back of your paint chip sheet?

I most likely have the paint mixing information for your car with the factory colors. I have paint mixture books from several companies from the 60s and early 70s.

on the back it has interio colors... like paint used on dash, etc. Since posting last night I bought another '64 dodge paitn color chip sheet --different than the one I have now.

But yes, having whatever paint color/mixing info there is to recreate the '64 Ivory color without just guessing from a decades old paint chip, would be very helpful.

Problem with mix codes on the back of that is this. If it's original from the time, those coatings are no longer available or if they are can't be usable....too old. You'll have to have someone match it using the newer systems.

Thanks for the replies. I have just never seen another Dart in this color, or those that had it were repainted something else.

Looking at this paint chip sheet, it is paint code ss-1, and and other number under the chip is 81403 and it is called ivory. So I was just wondering how they can get the paint right, if the only reference (the chip) could be faded.

Chip sheet is original... PPG paint, "Ditzler Automotive Finishes"

Will check out those sites... thanks.

rb

I think the answer you're looking for:
It's like a recipe, except that they give a paint chip so you can match it up, and then they mix the recipe for that color.

You don't keep a specially-preserved chocolate chip cookie on hand to figure out how to make them. You name the recipe "Chocolate Chip Cookies" and you follow what's on the list! Same deal, but the end product is not as tasty.

Remember though, that paint technology has come a long way, and that old lacquer (or whatever) recipe doesn't add up like modern paints do, so that un-faded, non-washed, non-waxed, non-UV-exposed paint chip that's been stored in that book for 40 years can come in quite valuable for matching modern equivalents visually.

Using this matching method has several techniques, like the little chips with a hole in them and an experienced eye and computer scanning and whatnot.
Automotive_Fandeck227892.jpg

They do not use a "paint chip" they really are for you. There is a weighted recipe/formula for colors, primes, toners etc that create the color. If they do not have the formula many have a camera "Prophet" that with a good clean sample, inside trunk etc "larger than a chip" will break down the paint composition and give them a close formula.
I don't think there is an exacting science when having paint mixed which is why we normally do blending.

But yes, having whatever paint color/mixing info there is to recreate the '64 Ivory color without just guessing from a decades old paint chip, would be very helpful.

Not all paint colors are necessarily accurate, anyhow. In the early 70's I was working for my father's parts store, we sold Acme paint products.

One of the local "lesser skilled" body shops --the ones who DON'T know how to blend---ordered up a pint of the then popular red for the 70's Datsun pickups.

They complained, "didn't match" so I mixed another pint, CAREFULLY and they complained AGAIN

So Dad asked me "was I sure" and I said yep. He says "mix a quart as careful as you can and go down there."

So I go down there and HERE IS WHAT

Here is a 70's Datsun pickup, RED with front end damage. At this time, the thing was 4? years old

Here's a RED junkyard fender off a SECOND vehicle

Here's a RED junkyard hood off a THIRD vehicle

NOT ONE of the items matched the other two!!!

I pulled the lids off all three cans of paint, and you could not see the difference in the cans of paint!!!!

So I asked this guy, so here you are, you have three red pieces, and NONE of em match each other, how do 'ya 'xpect us to match the paint no matter HOW we mix it?????

You have a paint code.

You have a vehicle make and model year.

The above information gives you a mixing formula.

You have a bunch of toners in a mixing bank.

You mix those toners to the formula.

It's as simple as that.

Well..... It's as simple as that if you are doing a complete repaint. It gets more complex if you are trying to repaint part of a car.

That's where blending, tinting, and color variances comes in.

BYK- GARDNER makes a handy little scanner that will scan an area of the color. Problem is that colors tend to fade over time. If single stage not so bad. Two stage base coat clear coat, the clear will yellow over time. Nature of the beast. But, the good news is a GOOD shop and a GOOD color match guy can get it so darn close only a trained/experienced eye can tell the difference. Hope this helps.

as stated above ^ paint can be mixed to match whats on the car and you can blend panels (easier on BC/CC) but if the paint is original and faded .......now might be a good time for a new paint job with some fresh, vibrant, durable new paint.

if it is original that is an advantage, you would not have to strip the whole car if its original with no body work under it, can actually scuff, seal, and spray.....you can even add some deliberate orange peel to match that original 60s coat.

its the cars with 10 paint jobs and a gallon of bondo that are a problem.

i have tried to clean up and baby original paint before so i can understand that but i have found that its easier most of the time to just re-paint the whole car and be done with blending and end up with a nicer quality and more durable finish. The newer resins are a lot tougher than what we had in the 60s :glasses7:

Yeah......what Rani said. LOL

-
Back