How Big can a 5.2 get?

-
I guessed a 318 from the context.
Now now! You know that’s NOT what AJ ment. He wants to know what car, weight, gear, trans, tire, street, street strip strip full race, so he can write a book on what to do and the way to do it right in his eyes. As well as not to do it with mile long paragraphs mathematical equations etc....

Now now! You know that’s NOT what AJ ment. He wants to know what car, weight, gear, trans, tire, street, street strip strip full race, so he can write a book on what to do and the way to do it right in his eyes. As well as not to do it with mile long paragraphs mathematical equations etc....

All of that is totally irrelevant to the OP's original question, too.........I think AJ is gettin bored.

1993 5.2 magnum from a Grand Cherokee, going to a Duster -71. 904 trans, 8,25 rear with 3.23 gears. Grocery getter and a toy, no racing.
Edit: Now Im open to cam suggestions based on ^^^^

1993 5.2 magnum from a Grand Cherokee, going to a Duster -71. 904 trans, 8,25 rear with 3.23 gears. Grocery getter and a toy, no racing.
Oh, now you’re in for it. There comes a day! Tell them how it’s done brother! AJ is a wealth of information.

Hi, now Im on to heads!! :) If I have the 5.2 bored .030 over, have KB pistons in zero deck, would you guys go with 2.02 intake or 1.92 EQ Heads??
Odessa Cylinder heads sells a pair with 2.02 intakes in 1320$ which seems to be a fair price.

I never heard of Odessa. Perhaps a web site link? The EQ should be an excellent performer on top a .030/318.

Do a thorough google search about them before choosing what appears to be mainly a high volume reman company. EQ heads are an excellent choice but get them from a known reputable source that can finish them properly. Any good, trusted machine shop in your area can get the bare heads and do the finish machining, giving the best results. Also you won't gain much with 2.02" intake valves in EQ heads unless they get the proper bowl and port work to utilize that valve size.

I never heard of Odessa. Perhaps a web site link? The EQ should be an excellent performer on top a .030/318.
Me neither, saw those in ebay.. Whats the difference between stock replacement EQ:s and the ones Hughes are selling? What has to be done that the head could handle more lift than .051?

Hi, now Im on to heads!! :) If I have the 5.2 bored .030 over, have KB pistons in zero deck, would you guys go with 2.02 intake or 1.92 EQ Heads??
Odessa Cylinder heads sells a pair with 2.02 intakes in 1320$ which seems to be a fair price.

Personally I would go with the 1.92 intake valves.
Odessa heads does a lot of advertising and sales on eBay.

Personally I would go with the 1.92 intake valves.
Odessa heads does a lot of advertising and sales on eBay.

you might look into the Indy cylinder head arrowheads. Part number, 360 HI-MAX. Priced at $995.0.

The 360 HI-LAX that uses the LA manifolds.

Basically speaking....

The wider 114 is a smoother idle.
The narrower 110 engine s a choppy idle. Muscle car sounding.

The 114 should produce a flatter torque curve at a lower amount.
The 110 should produce more torque with a peakier level.

A 112 or wider is Preferred for fuel injection.

Ok, back to the basement. My crank is f***ed up, I was stupid and didnt measure it right away. So now I have to find a 318 crank or go with a stroker kit which actually is tempting. But since I already bought Iron Ram heads from hughes with 1.92 valves, can they handle 390 cid??

Stock port?
It will be limiting.
Before jumping, all you need is a 3.31 stroke crank? Forged or cast?
Put out the call!

Yes stock ports, I can get a port job done locally, thats not a problem. I was just figuring, I have to buy pistons+rings and get the crank at least polished if not grinded, Ill be almost half way to stroker kits...

Whew, well, if that’s where your at, figure that a 318 stroker kit is $*** vs what your doing. If the math works out OK for your wallet, a (near or actual drop in) stroker kit may not also be easier but favorable.

Going from 318 - 390 a 72 cube jump in what is going to be a huge torque jump doesn’t sound so bad.

From a cylinder head stand point, to feed that many cubes well is going to require very well ported heads.

Leaving the heads port stock is going to limit HP of course but will keep a lot of torque and probably really responsive on the throttle.

Projects like this can snowball badly sometimes.

Ok, might be a dumb question but can I use dome pistons with eq heads??

Ok, back to this....
I have the EQ heads from hughes, new cam and lifters, the block will be bored soon but I still havent decided what to do, to stroke or not to stroke :D
If we look this at the cam point of view, would my cam be enough for 390 cubes?? Hughes Engines I ordered the cam for stock stroke but now Im having second thoughts...

It’s not IF it is enough for the cubes but will it be enough for your performance goals. Your going sideways on this build changing parts and perameters constantly.

The bigger engine will make the cam seem smaller. Lower the rpm range a few hundred RPMs and idle easier.

What valve size in the heads now? I’m confused.

I bought the heads and Cam last december and I planned a 030 overbore, KB pistons etc. But, the parts were on the way (over sea) for six months because of several reasons that I couldnt affect. And during six months, well.. You get new ideas :) What I mean, I dont want to build a stroker which ends up a dog, just to build a stroker. Im aiming In 350hp range with 3.31 stroke and 4.00 should make well over 400, otherwise its not worth the extra money.
I took the heads with 1.92 valves.

Well, still dont know how big a 5.2 can get but mine is 323 now. Getting back together during winter...
50811326_10213061514874733_555124969684598784_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.jpg

-
Back