How close is to close?

-
1700 is bullshit. Most any HP V8 needs between 3000-4000 CFM to stay cool. That's why I recommended the Black Magic fan. Did you even look at them?

1700 is bullshit. Most any HP V8 needs between 3000-4000 CFM to stay cool. That's why I recommended the Black Magic fan. Did you even look at them?

X2,I do recommend the the Black Magic Extreme.I've had mine about 4yrs now w/no problems what so ever.I like the shroud that comes with it that covers the whole radiator.Also has a seal that runs around the shroud.It keeps my Mustang cool even with the xtra heat the blower causes.The factory clutch fan couldn't keep it cooler than 220 and God forbid if I should catch 2 lights in a row in the summer and I'm running a 3core Aluminum radiator in that too.The only way I would run those smaller fans is as a back up fan,mounted in front as a pusher.But I think you would have to up grade the alt tho,I think the factory alt is only 45amp possibly 60 amp and you might have problems when lights are on or if you have bigger stereo system.Having a shroud that covers the entire radiator is crucial regardless of what kind of fan your running.

I did look at them and they look like a great fan. My problem is the limited space, they are just to thick of a fan.

X2,I do recommend the the Black Magic Extreme.I've had mine about 4yrs now w/no problems what so ever.I like the shroud that comes with it that covers the whole radiator.Also has a seal that runs around the shroud.It keeps my Mustang cool even with the xtra heat the blower causes.The factory clutch fan couldn't keep it cooler than 220 and God forbid if I should catch 2 lights in a row in the summer and I'm running a 3core Aluminum radiator in that too.The only way I would run those smaller fans is as a back up fan,mounted in front as a pusher.But I think you would have to up grade the alt tho,I think the factory alt is only 45amp possibly 60 amp and you might have problems when lights are on or if you have bigger stereo system.Having a shroud that covers the entire radiator is crucial regardless of what kind of fan your running.

Thats why I mentioned the twin 10" fan set up. If they move the amount of air they claim that is 4700cfm of air flow. They also only draw. 4.7 amps each according to there website. Im not running anything fancy for a radio or any other electronics in the car. So hopefully my stock alternator would be able to carry that load.

Doug, I like the Spal fans also, but they didnt have a low-profile fan to fit my space.

Two smaller fans on a shroud of some sort will probably get you better results than a bigger one hanging off the fins....

View attachment dual fans.jpg

this is the plan for our car....if I get to it before being put on a shelf some place....if this has already been mentioned sorry for repeating it....

Hey Straightlinespeed, it is just a thought but are you sure that the motor mount ears are on the correct side of the engine mounting tabs?

I have less than 3" from the Radiator fins to the front of the pulley bolts. That fan measures 3.1". It sure is a nice fan and would be nice, but just to big.

Two smaller fans on a shroud of some sort will probably get you better results than a bigger one hanging off the fins..
this is the plan for our car....if I get to it before being put on a shelf some place....if this has already been mentioned sorry for repeating it....
Yep, thinking of doing this exact same type of set up. Except making my own shroud.

Hey Straightlinespeed, it is just a thought but are you sure that the motor mount ears are on the correct side of the engine mounting tabs?

Hmmm, I thought so! I went with the Schumaker mounts and followed there instructions, but I will double check tonight. That would for sure make a huge difference and give me the clearance I needed.

I will be following your progress. I recently put my magnum 360 engine in my 71 Dart with a Champion 22" 3 core radiator. It cools great but I have the exact same problem with clearance. I too probably only have about 1/4 inch. I am running the factory pulleys off my 71 318 engine. I might try the Jag clutch to get a little more room but I am also looking into electric fans.

There's some kinda Mercedes clutch that fits better, but I don't remember what model it is off of.

Try a fan/clutch from a 80-85 M-B 300D. Get the later plastic fan, not the cast aluminum one. Junkyard, since new parts are $$$. For kicks, I tried a new Dart SB fan/clutch on my 85 300D and it fit the water pump fine, using the collar in the box, so should fit the other way. My Mopar fan blades were too thick to clear the M-B engine parts. I was fooling with this because initially I saw >$100 prices for a new M-B clutch, then found a $30 one on ebay that worked fine. You can't swap the fan alone between Euro cars and U.S. because their clutches are smaller. The lighter Euro fans probably put less load on the water pump bearing.

Bill, I will look into that as well.

But here are a couple pics of the way I have the engine and trans mounted in the car. For the engine pic this is the drivers side mount, front of the car to the left of the pic. Passenger side mount is also behind the ears. The pic under the car is of the trans mount, Again front of car to the left in the pic. I looked in my Chassis manual and it appears I have the engine mounts installed correctly according to there pics. I didnt look up the cross member for the trans. Let me know on the pics.

View attachment IMG_20140320_165734_888.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140320_173817_157.jpg

My buddy runs a hot 340 in his 68 barracuda with the mechanical Mopar offset blade fan with no clutch but runs a shroud with no issues with high rev cavitation as those blades are balanced for less noise and vibration.

The aftermarket3 core radiator might be a struggle getting a shroud positioned properly with a tight seal but I'm sure some ingenuity would get it done right.

I'm gonna try the electric fan set up myself and I posted pics on this forum of my set up.

I am going to retract my suggestion of the M-B fan. Since I had to use the spacer collar to fit the Mopar clutch on the M-B water pump, that means the hole in the M-B clutch must be too small for the Mopar water pump (duh!). You couldn't use their clutch without drilling the register hole bigger (pain) and might not be enough meat left on the shaft after that, so probably a no go. It is a much thinner clutch though. I just removed one yesterday to change the water pump and had to grind a wrench to get on the bolts. Looked at my 383 and its clutch has a long shaft with room even for a socket wrench on the bolts.

-
Back