How close is to close?

-
almost looks like that WP pulley is causing some troubles, if its thick where the fan sits it could be pushing it out some, also I think you can get stub nose water pumps

I would say its no thicker than a 1/8". Although I have not mic'ed it out.

I've thought about the shorter water pump, but then I have to try to find a matching pulley and that may be just as difficult.

I did find a low-profile electric fan, that would fit with enough room. But how much air should be moved by the fan? I have no idea

Well, you could go to a straight fan for now. I run a straight fan and have no issues. I "think" it's a seven blade.

Well, you could go to a straight fan for now. I run a straight fan and have no issues. I "think" it's a seven blade.

Really? I've heard rumors that they cant hold up to spinning at full engine RPM and could destroy themselves and your car, if they let go. Hence why you should run a clutch.

I have 3/8 to 1/2 inch clearance between my fan clutch and my radiator and have had no problems.

So curious, does anyone have any CFM fan recommendations for electric fans? Or at least a very minimum?

the thin fans aren't rated for much (under 2000 CFM) the ford tarus fan is a popular upgrade when you have enough room (not A body)

they create 3300 CFM

That Jag clutch at 3/4" would be fine,, seen lotsa breeds with fans closer...

hope it helps

Well its a cheap option.

I went out to the car and took the fan clutch off the car. I was then able to get a exact measurement from the front of the pulley to the radiator. 3-1/8". The Jag clutch is 2.67" that only leaves me with .455" between that clutch and the radiator. I still fear that, that is still to little of room.

I know of another guy that has this same radiator on here so Im going to ask him to get me a measurement from the brackets to the front and back of the radiator. I just wonder if mine was welded in the wrong spot, (to far back)

just get rid of the clutch fan, sell it

400-1719 19" ALUMINUM RACE FAN 45.99 from Jegs
This model features rigid aluminum blades on a steel star. These fans need less clearance, as the blades will not flex toward the radiator.

that's what hemidenny used on his swap with the griffin aluminum rad

although everybody says not to use them i think there are flex fans rated to 8000 rpm.

Well Damn it! I picked up the Jag clutch and I only gained a 1/4". I now have a 1/2" of room, which Im still not comfortable with. I spoke with Motopsycho (Eddie) on the phone, because his car is very similar to mine. The only difference is he has a 73up K-member and mine is 72down. He has 1" of clearance. Im not sure if that make the whole difference or what but its all I can come up with.

View attachment IMG_20140319_183934_551.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140319_183923_921.jpg

As for using the fan with out a clutch Im not to comfortable doing this, I have heard of to many horror stories. Now whether they are true or not I dont know, but I would rather not risk it.

Now what I have found for electric fans is a 17" dual speed fan, that operates at 1700/2100 cfm. Is that enough cfm, I dont know. But only gives me, a 1/2" clearance between the fan and the pulley. Pretty much the same situation Im in now. I also found a perma-cool 10" fan that claims to move 2350cfm each. I can get a shroud made that will allow me to run 2-10" fans, which would be offset to the corners and then allow me to have 1" of clearance from the shroud to the pulley. Sadly, I think this is the option I have to go with.

Have used Spal electric fans in the past with good success....

Is that a Mach water pump pulley? If it is a Mach pulley, it is thicker at the mounting base. Try using a stock pulley. The stock pulley is much thinner at the mounting base. You will gain some clearance.

Is that a Mach water pump pulley? If it is a Mach pulley, it is thicker at the mounting base. Try using a stock pulley. The stock pulley is much thinner at the mounting base. You will gain some clearance.

Its not a March, but very similar. Yes you are correct, the mounting flange is much thicker than the stock pulleys. I believe this is close to 3/16-1/4" thick. I dont have any stock pulleys, that is why I went to this set up. I have thought about getting a set of stock pulleys.

Mancini sells the stock pulley in black or chrome. They are thin at the base. You will pick up a 1/4 inch in clearance. I have the jag clutch with stock pulley on my setup. I have 1 inch clearance. I use a custom shroud and the fan is half in and half out. Perfect setup. I run 180 degree temps in 90 degree weather.

I have a stock dual groove pulley. If you want to use it to evaluate clearance with your setup, let me know.

I know this is close, as I mentioned we picked this fan assmbly at a swap meet, and my son's been driving the snot outta this thing for 2 yrs,, power shifts and all the goofy things kids do..

It worked for us,, last pic is a peek of the chain I mentioned earlier to prevent the engine moving forward on abrupt stops..

hope it helps..

PS that's a new copper rad ..

Attachments

• fan clearance 004.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 396
  • fan clearance 002.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 200
  • fan clearance 005.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 250
-
Back