How do i align my QA1 K-Member?

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
I need help with aligning my new K-Member from QA1. How are you supposed to do it?

Use the 2 original bolts on the rear as that will center the k frame and your golden.

If I remember correctly when I was doing fitment checks of parts on this k, once all four bolts are in, it can be moved all over. It does not use the special bolts like the factory k. I understand why people may like the added clearances of this k, but I prefer a stock one.

and thats going to help him align his QA1 how???

It is my personal opinion that a K-member should have zero (0) movement in any direction. I would never feel safe knowing that my k-member could and would move around in relation to my frame. they were never intended to have that kind of adjustment. I understand that there are factory assembly tolerances to take into account but if a K-member has enough room to move that it needs to be "aligned" then its is an unsafe part in my mind. I have never dealt with the QA1 k member but i do know that it is based off of the factory mounting locations for all suspension mounting points. I feel like a critical member of the cars chassis should have tighter tolerances then this. I have seen several other aftermarket front suspensions that mount with the factory bolts and have zero room for movement. I have personally helped with an alterkation install and have installed my own HDK set up and neither have had enough room to move around. they mount just like a factory piece.

I'd call them and ask. The link to their "Install Guide" is broken. But I bet you need to cross measure and get it close from a known good datum on the car, like the rear if you know its perpendicular to the car.

It might come down to setting up the suspension and having it aligned.

Attachments

• dead.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 268
Here's the installation guide. I just used the search function on their website, looks like they just have a bad link...

[ame="http://www.qa1.net/tech/documents/52313,%2052314_REV_8-16-2013%20Mopar%20K-frame.pdf"]http://www.qa1.net/tech/documents/52313,%2052314_REV_8-16-2013%20Mopar%20K-frame.pdf[/ame]

They don't talk really about aligning the K-member though. They install the lower control arms, and the instructions say to leave the K frame mounting bolts loose until the torsion bars are installed. Basically, they're using the torsion bars to align the K-member.

I have installed two of them....they bolted right up where the old K member was....

the guy in the video did it less then 5 minutes...lol

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I called QA1, just to see what they had to say and they told me to tighten the engine mounts and use the engine to align the k member. That doesn't seem a like a very reliable way to do it.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I called QA1, just to see what they had to say and they told me to tighten the engine mounts and use the engine to align the k member. That doesn't seem a like a very reliable way to do it.

It's not, the engine can move around a little on the engine mounts. Between the torsion bars, engine, steering box and the rest of the suspension it should be pretty close if you leave torquing the K-member bolts until last, but it's not really a positive way of locating it.

But heck, if you've got headers there's usually so little clearance the thing can only be in one spot anyway. #-o

Well just how far does it MOVE? The factory one moves "a little bit." I'd guess 1/4--3/8" or so........

You ARE going to have to align the front end

Solved this issue! Used the OEM K bolts on the back along with some aluminum tubing as spacers on the front supplied bolts, worked like a charm! K member secure reliably to the subframe rails.

-
Back