how do i make my /6 sound good...

-
what sound are you going for exactly. i have heard some sound ok at idle but they get all farty sounding in the rpms. guess it all depends what you thing Good sounding is.

and man reading through this thread some of you guys need to lighten up. some of the slant guys sound like they should be wearing panties. relax already.

what sound are you going for exactly. i have heard some sound ok at idle but they get all farty sounding in the rpms. guess it all depends what you thing Good sounding is.

seems like glass pack style mufflers are really bad about this...
my flowmasters always have sounded good just you can get rid of the killer bee sound up top...

and man reading through this thread some of you guys need to lighten up. some of the slant guys sound like they should be wearing panties. relax already.

you probably dont see half the abuse we take lol... it would be like everybody who say you car told you the change one thing to something else...

like put a hemi in it lol...

Take a ride in Steve McQueens Jag.
Gets good around 2:30

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY-gRWYRHlA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY-gRWYRHlA&feature=related[/ame]

people tell me i should fix the rust on my car all the time. i don't care. who cares what anyone else says? getting all bent out of shape over that crap isn't worth it and kinda stupid when you really think about it.

yea i really dont care... thats why i just tell them to put a slant in it lol

I'm seeing the cutaway on allpar.com, you could change the lifter angle a few degrees, then angle the carb diagonally (hood bump/scoop solves clearance) and use individual carbs/EFI and it would go straight to the chamber unrestricted, the exhaust cycle would have less of a curve as well and the intake/exhaust would be separated a little more so it wouldn't heat the fuel up as much. Cold air = condensed = power. Heat = atomized/vaporized = better fuel economy

What you 6 guys need is pretty much an aluminum head with a different lifter angle (might hurt a bit at higher rpms, but better low end power in a light weight package is good)

I'm wondering if it would be possible to make an angled spacer to weld to the head to give it that angle, assuming the push rods allow that and some extensive port work add/subtract material to build up that angle?

dfgdhshs.jpg

I'm seeing the cutaway on allpar.com, you could change the lifter angle a few degrees, then angle the carb diagonally (hood bump/scoop solves clearance) and use individual carbs/EFI and it would go straight to the chamber unrestricted, the exhaust cycle would have less of a curve as well and the intake/exhaust would be separated a little more so it wouldn't heat the fuel up as much. Cold air = condensed = power. Heat = atomized/vaporized = better fuel economy

What you 6 guys need is pretty much an aluminum head with a different lifter angle (might hurt a bit at higher rpms, but better low end power in a light weight package is good)

I'm wondering if it would be possible to make an angled spacer to weld to the head to give it that angle, assuming the push rods allow that and some extensive port work add/subtract material to build up that angle?

dfgdhshs.jpg

you might be able to get a really good machine shop to mill a virgin head at an angle (thought about it) with .150 to play with you could get something im sure...

Man..... I love challenges, its boring to just build a car up to some magazines specs or drop a crate in..... but at the same time i hate failure, not because it sucks, but because it costs me money! The only point of the head being angled like that is to eliminate the heat from the fuel/exhaust pipes, you could fix the compression with just better pistons.

Biggest worry bout this venue is the cylinder walls. People boost these engines all the time and make some pretty spooky horsepower in a pint sized package... Why was I thinking about doing this again... it's so easy to make horsepower other ways. I must be nuts. :|

Geeze people...... calm down, this is about cars -- things we know and love. Let's not divide each other up into groups. I used to go to a different forum where people laughed at my ideas or notions of altering a car or motor in a certain way, I let it slide but it really sucked that your peers never took you seriously, at least here most of you seem to take me seriously which is refreshing. Guy asked about sound, and making a v6 sound good isn't hard....... oh god I just realized how far off from the original topic we've got! Hahaha... ugh.

So, uh yeah... how about them ceramic headers Joe; I hear they're real good soundn'!

i have received a lot of good info for this new slant 6 motor that i am dropping in my 71 dart. i have a road block now. i have a '64 /6 engine and a '71 904 trans, therefore they don't mate because the torque converter is too big for the crankshaft inlet. Should I A: get a custom torque converter, or B: get an older 904 trans? what's the best way to resolve this?

i have received a lot of good info for this new slant 6 motor that i am dropping in my 71 dart. i have a road block now. i have a '64 /6 engine and a '71 904 trans, therefore they don't mate because the torque converter is too big for the crankshaft inlet. Should I A: get a custom torque converter, or B: get an older 904 trans? what's the best way to resolve this?

really you should get a newer engine...

then you dont have to spend a bunch of money on older or custom parts

i already have another '64 trans that came with the '64 /6 motor, i just didn't realize that i'd need it.

i have no choice. the original '71 /6 has a softball size hole in the side of the engine block. have to find another engine from the right era before i can do that. '64 904 trans have the same linkage as the '71?

i have no choice. the original '71 /6 has a softball size hole in the side of the engine block. have to find another engine from the right era before i can do that. '64 904 trans have the same linkage as the '71?

more than likely a push button trans...

i see. And would i be able to swap the linkage from the '71 904 trans over to the push button trans? i'm thinking that i am going to have to order a custom torque converter after all.

yea i agree with this, i also see why you would say if your out for performance on a budget a slant six is not the way to go, it would be more cost effective to swap a small block in. so its up to your goals, wanna be different than sure thing a slant six will do that for ya, just dont expect to be dusting down the quarter doing 11s or 12s with alot of cam and some headwork on a slant like you could with a v8. now you turbo it and you i see them rip 12s and get good mpg, that would be ultimate cool. im building a bored 360 for my 71 dart and a cammed up hot slant six for my girls 74 duster, i like the best of both worlds under one roof.. A BODIES!

66cuda,
You sound like Dr. phil

Read the subject....How do I make my/6 sound good, in the slant six section.

Got any ideas ?

My slant six gets 30...

True dual 2.25 with thrush welded mufflers sounds amazing! Single in and dual out sounds the same as single all the way back.

you've got my suggestion. it produces a deeper sound than single exhaust oddly enough and it looks cool

There's a few people that need to understand that not answering the question at hand with the equipment the person is dealing with is just plain badgering the issue constantly faced at this forum.

It has gotten to the point that vacation's will no be handed out to the first person that comments in an ill fashion or suggest a V8 engine in this thread.

Help the person out with what they have or skip the thread and entire forum section if need be. Vacations start at 10 days and will double until your gone. Then again, start crap here and your'll just be gone.

I'm glad all of your setups are all working well for you. Mine however is not. Thus, I would like some help. Instead of telling me to get a complete new drive train, let me know what I can do to fix my problems at hand. Thanks guys. Still not getting a whole new motor and transmission though. I'm working with i've got. I love my /6.

There's a few people that need to understand that not answering the question at hand with the equipment the person is dealing with is just plain badgering the issue constantly faced at this forum.

It has gotten to the point that vacation's will no be handed out to the first person that comments in an ill fashion or suggest a V8 engine in this thread.

Help the person out with what they have or skip the thread and entire forum section if need be. Vacations start at 10 days and will double until your gone. Then again, start crap here and your'll just be gone.

hey rumble i know i wasnt helping there in the middle but thanks for cleaning all that up...

I'm glad all of your setups are all working well for you. Mine however is not. Thus, I would like some help. Instead of telling me to get a complete new drive train, let me know what I can do to fix my problems at hand. Thanks guys. Still not getting a whole new motor and transmission though. I'm working with i've got. I love my /6.

well as lucy said and the vids i posted you have some ideas...

i still think your better off running a y pipe from the two collectors and just running a single 2.5" exhaust... with what ever muffler you like

well i may go with that in the end, but i already have a true dual exhaust that came with the car and bolts right up to the two headers. so i'll try that out and if i dont like it i'll def go with the y pipe. thanks guys.

-
Back