how do i remove the steering column?!?!

-
three bolts at the column to dash brace. three bolts at the floor. and a roll pin at the shaft joint at the box

i have the the two brackets out but I'm thinking that the roll pin is the only thing holding it in

that should be it. as Okla mentioned, if this is a column shift make sure your linkage is clear. it may take some doing to get it off the steering box shaft

I point the wheels straight ahead and drive the roll pin out before lowering the steering wheel to the seat. If the steering wheel and or seat is missing, the column will drop way down putting more bind on the coupling splines.

just tap the roll pin out and thats it yea??

If its the original roll pin, it'll be a lot more than "tapping". Mine didnt come out until i broke out the 4lb sledge hammer...then it came out after 30+ strikes. :banghead:

If a split pin is bent a little it can be a biotch to get out. I've been there done that in machinery applications Common drill bit doesn't work well either. The pin is a very hard steel and the split in it kills the cutting edge of the bit.
It would take a wreck to bend one in a car though. With any luck, a long drift, and a shop hammer it should drive right out.

Is the colium suppose to drop before you pull out the pin? mine only dropped about 4 inches and i THINK all the interior stuff is off. I guess not??

Is the colium suppose to drop before you pull out the pin? mine only dropped about 4 inches and i THINK all the interior stuff is off. I guess not??
did you get the roll pin out? after that, make sure you get the bolts out of the plate on the floor board. you should be able to yank it out of the coupler after everything is unbolted.

got it out, took 5 minutes. The pin fortunately gave me no problems at all! I did however forget to mark the bushing so now ima have a hell of a time aligning it back up. Prollly just lit the front up, turn the wheels straight and put the steering column in straight too.

Is there any bushings or anything I should replace to tighten up the steering? while everything is apart??

There is a rebuild kit available for the box coupling. It isn't easy to do though.
There are a crowd of cuss words packed under that cap.
Theres a tiny ball bearing in the top of the column. A variety of bearings or bushings were used in the bottom for different models.

Is the box coupling the piece at the end of the steering column? where the roll pin came out of? the back side of mine is ripped open and its packed with a butt load of grease. I just want my steering to feel tight, and its much easier to do all this now while the engine is out!

Is the box coupling the piece at the end of the steering column? where the roll pin came out of? the back side of mine is ripped open and its packed with a butt load of grease. I just want my steering to feel tight, and its much easier to do all this now while the engine is out!

Yep. Pick up a rebuild kit for it while you have it off.

Pat

is that the exact name of the part?? i can't find a rebuild kit online for a duster box coupling

Google " dodge steering column coupling" maybe They're at ebaymotors
"Box coupling" is slang, laymens term whatever derived from its shape. The kits rarely contain any instructions. There are instuctions available.
I have a copy here somewhere. Hope this helps

found em on ebay, if you have instructions could you pm them to me please?? thanks

-
Back