how do i tell if my engine is

-
And you were saying................

LOL

I'm not a numbers guy, but aren't there numbers on the block that would keep it to that car? Maybe the ones on the block, drivers side just under the head?

On the early A cars there is no way to be for sure but the date on the right of the block near the oil pan should coencide with the build date of the car.

Yup, before 68 it`s a crap shoot. As the guys have said, casting dates within a few months of the build date should be adequate on an early A.

This came up the other day in another thread. Mine is a 67 and the casting date is January, but the stamped assembly date is 3 days prior to the shipped date- that is how I know it matches.
Are early As, pre 67, the same?

My '65 Was manufactured in December '64, with an engine cast date in October '64.

As long as the casting date within 6 months before car manufacture date, you should be good.

My parts engine, came out of a '65 Valiant, but engine casting date was Feb '66. I told the guy I got it from he'd been duped when they told him it was the original engine. It also had a cast crank, so someone had taken the steel one and replaced it.

Under the head on the drivers side, on a flat milled area will be the assembly numbers. You will get limited information from this, but you will be able to determinte the build date, the displacement, and the year. If it's a 65 motor, the year will be stamped "A", if it's a 66 the year will be "B", if it's a 64 I don't think it will have a letter designation. The displacement should be stamped there as 273, and the build date will be the day and month. The casting date on the side of the block will narrow down the year also. This is all provided that it is an 8 cylinder car, if it's a 6, I don't know how to tell. good luck with your project, Geof

Under the head on the drivers side, on a flat milled area will be the assembly numbers. You will get limited information from this, but you will be able to determinte the build date, the displacement, and the year. If it's a 65 motor, the year will be stamped "A", if it's a 66 the year will be "B", if it's a 64 I don't think it will have a letter designation. The displacement should be stamped there as 273, and the build date will be the day and month. The casting date on the side of the block will narrow down the year also. This is all provided that it is an 8 cylinder car, if it's a 6, I don't know how to tell. good luck with your project, Geof
The '64 designation is a "V" before the 273 stamping. 6cyl.'s are the same story, they just have the number in a different place. "R" is 1961, "S" is 1962, "T" is 1963. The STAMP codes are on the RF top of the block by the coil mounting area. It doesn't always have the full 225 or 170....but uses 22 or 17 instead. If those have been milled off during a rebuild, it can sometimes be much more difficult. Some of the early blocks have a date CASTING code above the block casting number. Starting in '68 they were to the right of the block casting number. I've seen many with incomplete numbers so good luck there!
Thanks, Mark

Here's whats on mine. You can probably guess the 'Born On' Dating for my Car.

Engine-Stamp-w.jpg

Engine-Date-Casting-w.jpg

In that last picture, on the left side...what is the "D N" with the little dial indicator cast under it pointing to the "D"?

Thats what I was always told too. D (Day) was First Shift, N (Night) was 2nd Shift.

-
Back