How do you do a burnout in an automatic?

-
like everyone who hasnt posted sarcastically in here has made mention. The key is to get into 2nd gear before you get grip. and once you get the hang of it... a TON of fun.

put it in neutral ,rev it to 3000 RPM.SLAM IT INTO 1st!!:toothy7:
j/k of course

Ha Ha Ha!
The good old fashioned neutral drop technique.
I would rev it to the moon and then drop it into gear for added effect. :toothy7:

I've always started in 1st, get into 2nd, bring it to 4500-5K, and when they are smoking enough, let off the brake and slowly lift. The car "pulls out" and the drags the rpms down. Never had a problem doing that.

I'll also add, it's not rpm. The powdered metal factory clutch drum can explode at 8500rpm... 8500/2.2=3863 rpm. They can pop in the burnout, any time in first gear, right on the line... And it's not the sprague or valve body that permanently solves this. They just help minimize the possibility. You have to upgrade the drum to billet and you're set. And, it's all 3sp torqueflights. Not just 727s.

Heres another word of caution. If you ever have a driveline failure while in first gear, always remove the transmission for inspection of the overrunning clutch. If this fails, it will go KaBoom the next time you race it.
Last season, I broke a u-joint on leaving. Removed & dissasembled the transmission. Got lucky no damage done.
First race out this season, broke a ring & pinion while leaving.
Damage so far, ring & pinion, overrunning clutch, & convertor snout.
That was a good hit to the race budget at the start of the season.
I know its a hassel to remove the trans, but it might save your feet later on.
I will be installing a trans blanket back on the car this time, just for sucurity.

-
Back