how do you make 550+hp hook on the street ??

-
Every car is different, but till you get the CORRECT clutch setup, you'll never get it to hook and be consistent. Your clutch is way to violent

J par, I don't know your car but believe your running a 4 speed. The streets a different animal. I spent some time getting my 4 spd Duster to hook on the street, as that's where the money was. This was before all the trick suspension and drag radials available today. As others have posted here the old school stuff still works today. My set up was simple. Front end, six cyl torsion bars, no sway bar and 90/10 shocks. Front end was loose, no fresh bushings. LIGHT aluminum flywheel with metallic disc and Hayes pressure plate rebuilt by local shop. Rear, 4-spd super stock springs with a pinion snubber adjusted close to floor. Over the counter cheap shocks with extensions. 5.13 gear. Like I said drag radials were not around so instead of slicks I ran Hoosier dirt track treaded tires. 13x29.5 as I had the springs moved in. The car was a bear on the street and hooked very well. Good luck with yours, would be interested in hearing more about your combo.

I agree with all this except the shocks and the pinion snubber.

Shocks are so important it's not even questionable. If in the 1980's I could have bought some double adjustable shocks for the price you can get them now.....WOW!

Just like air flow, finance and marriage, hook is all about control.

You have to control the rate of rise of the front end. Not enough and the tires turn. Too much and you hit the limiters and knock the *** end loose.
You have to control the rear axle. If it moves too fast, it will smack the tire stupid and the tire will bounce back and unhook. If the axle moves too slow, the tire won't get hit hard enough to bite.
You have to control the application of the clutch. If you are using all the RPM you have and the flywheel is steel, you will again smacked the tire stupid hard and it wil wad up and bounce back and unhook.
You also need to use a 2 step so you can adjust how hard you hit the tire. Lower RPM is a softer hit. Higher RPM is a harder hit.
So it's about control and the APPLICATION of the horsepower you have. You do that with shocks, tires and clutch.
I won't get into Instant Centers and how it affects shock setting and such because most guys don't have a 4 link and the IC is fixed so you have to control what you have.
If you are using a heavy flywheel, non adjustable shocks, no 2 step and have no way to control clutch application, you can't get hooked on cogs.

That's as simple as I can say it.

Super stock springs, adjustable pinion snubber, good burnouts to warm up the tires.

This was a trouble free flawless combination in my big block duster for multiple race seasons.

Currently running cal tracs, no pinion snubber and adjustable shocks on the front to allow the front to rise so weight transfers to the rear tires. Installed cal tracs to reduce weight and...also installed a Strange Dana 60 with a spool, and increased horsepower out put. Either way worked great and I have never had any traction issues. Just had to figure out what rpm to launch at so the tires would not spin. Currently running a 9 inch slick.

Andy

the guys making an honest 550 hp are NOT hooking on the street with a LEGAL street setup.
The guys hooking, their hp # is pure bullshit.

the guys making an honest 550 hp are NOT hooking on the street with a LEGAL street setup.
The guys hooking, their hp # is pure bullshit.
are we really gong to discuss the numbers involved with hooking on the street?
:poke:

Last edited:
are we not ? do you have 550 / 450 or 350 and are you hooking. I can not hook 450 on the street.

we are spot on

i was simply trying to make an off color joke, but i musta gone way east of target again

we are spot on

i was simply trying to make an off color joke, but i musta gone way east of target again
we are just trying to get to the same place as Jpar is suggesting. if someone can hook 550 on the street with a LEGAL setup, some tips would be nice, because I have tried everything mentioned so far with zero success.

well, i can tell you from experience that worn down N50-14s and an open diferential wont do it
thats with 420 HP at the crank

i would be interested as well in what works
(when my drums show up tomorrow i can get the new wheels and drag radials on, that should really improve my results)

I've seen small tire cars do amazing things with caltracs. Definitely have to free up front end travel. As far as tires, different compounds like to be treated differently. Some work better with less heat. Manufacturers have good tech people for this.

I have worn down 2 sets Hoosier 275 quicktime and now trying 275 Mickey T's ET streets. time will tell when the weather clears.

we are just trying to get to the same place as Jpar is suggesting. if someone can hook 550 on the street with a LEGAL setup, some tips would be nice, because I have tried everything mentioned so far with zero success.
Thank you for trying to steer this thread back on track!
I'm back from work and cqn help. FYI- don't start a thread and then go to work especially if it's controversial but I don't think it would have went too far off if 318 will win wouldn't have sent it in the wrong direction from the second post LOL By the way no offense I like that guy

Thank you for trying to steer this thread back on track!
I'm back from work and cqn help. FYI- don't start a thread and then go to work especially if it's controversial but I don't think it would have went too far off if 318 will win wouldn't have sent it in the wrong direction from the second post LOL By the way no offense I like that guy

just count your lucky stars no one got what i was talking about, or we would have really gone off track ;)

This all started in my head from Reading Iron Mikes Thread about his 550 horsepower street car that's expected more horsepower than that. What I'm about to say here is definitely not a shot at Iron Mike and all his hard work he put into his motor and like I said I do wish him all the best and if there's anything I could seriously do I would do it to help. With that said any one of us if we have deep enough pockets in a credit card could go online and have a 600 horsepower crate motor sent to our front door but again my question is how do YOU make all this horsepower get to the street? And I took my car out just the other day on the street tires and if you don't know anything about the word countersteer you better not drive my car with street tires. My car is nowhere near 500 hp. Weird thing about when I took my car out the other day I came back home took a shower put on new clothes went to the grocery store and when in the checkout line I could still taste the race gas. it did put a smile on my face :thumbsup:

traction control i can adjust via efi and wheel speed sensors. put 1500hp to the ground on a small tire is common place for street racers and no prep racers. lots of guys have done wheel stands on the street. ya just gotta know what your doing and all that is available to you to use.

fyi my slow truck has 7-800ish hp and it will pull wheels if i put it up on the trans brake at 4400ish rpms. have da afcos all around and ladder bars.

I must be confused here. What are we talking about... hooking? Flooring it, dumping the clutch, and the wheels not spinning? If so the debate is retarded. 99% of the vehicles ever manufactured are gonna light em up. Some finesse is required even with a Hyundai. As far as 550 being uncontrollable...BS. Challengers, Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes, ect are all in the 500 gross range. My 392 Challenger on stock 245's(if I remember correctly) didn't have any problems. If I dumped the clutch like an idiot....Yes, smoke. But once moving it actually required either inclement weather or gymnastics to break it loose. Sure I had junk that would shake the tires so bad it knocked the rearview off the windshield. Junk suspension and crap tires was the problem not horsepower. And all the stories I hear about basic cars boiling the tires on the highway are utterly rediculous. Unless these people are pushing 1500hp like on Street Outlaws it's BS. Or the car has hockey pucks and you're downshifting and dumping the clutch at full throttle.

Last edited:
traction control i can adjust via efi and wheel speed sensors. put 1500hp to the ground on a small tire is common place for street racers and no prep racers. lots of guys have done wheel stands on the street. ya just gotta know what your doing and all that is available to you to use.

fyi my slow truck has 7-800ish hp and it will pull wheels if i put it up on the trans brake at 4400ish rpms. have da afcos all around and ladder bars.
yea, I watched street outlaws last night. lol give me a frick'n break

I forgot to mention traction control but we are talking about 5-600 HP but yes, traction control works.

yea, I watched street outlaws last night. lol give me a frick'n break
i dont watch tv, but i street race. i have cars that hook with more power than stated. street cars not promods or chassis cars.
youtube "skinniestt". 1400hp kc street racer who put a whoopin on your beloved S.O. group. street racing aint no joke. $4000 for a set of (mercer)coilovers aint either. wheel speed sensors and dialing in a wheel speed increase percentage is an art form few know about and less have mastered. gotta have some efi knowledge and parts to make that happen. it aint cheap either but its available to use by anybody.

My secret? Really fat wrinkle walls (29x15.5-15's), SuperStock Springs, A Spooled 8-3/4".

Does it work? Kinda... It wants to constantly do a burnout. Unless it's a really hot day in July, then the wrinkle walls bite hard and the poor 8-3/4 twists

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I guess I need 50 grand for chassis work and all the do dads, traction control and 4000 dollar shocks. lol
I quit hiding from the cops 30 years ago. can we hook 550 hp legally without breaking the bank.

How do you define "legal"?

Once we know that it will make the discussion much more simple.

-
Back