How do you prime the oil pump?

-
so i used the pressure tank with about 4qts in it. have 6 in the pan as well. 60psi air and bumped engine with starter after about 2qts pre pressured into sensor T tap for turbo feed lines. i could hear the oil spraying out of the piston oilers. that made me smile but dont know if oil in pump will drain back to it. i have lots of assy lube on everything anyways. so i think i should be ok.

any thoughts on this?

Technically you can pressurize the oil system that way, but I would suggest you go through the port on the oil filter housing so that the oil travels through the oil filter before it hits your bearings. I know it can be a pain to access but if you can't get to, I would make damn sure everything is as clean as you can get it if possible to prevent contamination. Just my 2 cents

Also, I would pressurize it and turn the motor by hand backwards to get oil in the oil pump gears so they are primed. I'm sure it's fine, just my OCD. You did get oil in the bearings so it's good on lube on that side of the oil pump. Good job!

Technically you can pressurize the oil system that way, but I would suggest you go through the port on the oil filter housing so that the oil travels through the oil filter before it hits your bearings. I know it can be a pain to access but if you can't get to, I would make damn sure everything is as clean as you can get it if possible to prevent contamination. Just my 2 cents

i would have to completely disassemble my coilovers, fuel pump, exhaust removed to gain access to those ports. its that tight in there. just gonna cross my fingers im ok. will heard the filter fill up before oil when anywhere else. so that should be ok.

This is how I primed my 5.7, but you can only use this tool if you are running an aftermarket timing set:

It doesn't show it in the video, but I rotated the motor a couple of times and re primed to make sure it was getting all the nooks and crannies. I was able to get 70psi without running the drill full blast, but I had the valve covers off so I was starting to make quite a mess on the floor!
P.S. If you have no oil pressure 1st place to look is the O ring on the pickup tube. I actually had a brand new Melling oil pump that would not produce oil pressure and leaked at the back of the unit. If I had tested with another method I NEVER would have found this and been able to replace the pump before I started the motor and caused major damage!

Last edited:
-
Back