How do you straighten a k-frame off the car? Is it worth it?

-
QA1 coil overs and a rack and pinion !!!!

QA1 coil overs and a rack and pinion !!!!

QA1 doesn't list a spool mount k-frame. The rest are personal preference and I prefer my already (mostly) sorted torsion bars and Borgeson steering.

Thanks for the input though.

Is there anywhere on the K that appears to have a fold, wrinkle or other direct sign of damage? Broken weld other than the LCA tube?

Once it’s bent out of shape and you bend it back, the bent part will be a weak point.

Not necessarily true. If the metal isn't folded or wrinkled anywhere then it's not likely to be stretched. If the metal itself hasn't been through what is called "plastic deformation", then it won't be weaker. Just because the shape of the K-frame may be out of spec does not mean the metal itself was weakened. Steel can bend quite a bit before it passes the "point of no return" and is compromised as a material.

Is there anywhere on the K that appears to have a fold, wrinkle or other direct sign of damage? Broken weld other than the LCA tube?

No wrinkles or broken welds that I remember. I do see deformed metal though, the right front leg has had the metal pulled up like maybe someone picked the car up using the k-frame or something. And there is a sway bar mount that is smashed in like someone towed the car with a hook there. There are several signs that the k-frame lead a hard life which is partly what prompted me to check it. But not seeing anything that would indicate a large impact or anything. I will try and get some pictures later tonight.

Part of the trick (in my mind) is figuring out what is bent. It could have one leg bent up or down and the other 3 are fine. Or the whole think could be twisted. Both of those scenarios would give the same results as what I have already done.

Thought maybe the motor mounts could be used to figure out a plane and then measure from that plane. But not sure the motor mounts are even supposed to be in a plane that is parallel to the frame horns.

I found posts by @Jim Lusk where he straightened some, but not sure how other that at least once he cut the thing apart.

The one I took apart was twisted and bent pretty bad. Short of heating it all up with oxy/acetylene and then bolting it down that was all I could do with that one. BUT, if one hole doesn't line up I will bolt the other three holes to my jig and use the porta-power to get it into alignment. Then it should hold that shape after I weld up the seams. A little twist is less worrisome because it WILL come into shape when bolted to the frame.

Last edited:
-
Back