How does a W2 head oil the rockers/valve train?

-
Same way as a standard LA small block head - through the rocker shafts. Oil passage goes from the cam to one of the cast-n rocker stands.

Just put the valve train back together and it dosent look like I have very much oil coming up to the rollers, I'm using Norris rocker arms. Cones from # 2 & 4 cam journals right?

Yes, 2 & 4. If priming it, the cam oil holes may not be lined up to provide enough flow. But when the rotating assembly is turning, the holes line up and you get oil. You can rotate bit by bit and re-prime. Or you can have a second person rotate the engine at the front while you prime.

If it's running and you don't have enough oil, the bearings may not be properly aligned with the holes in the block.

It should "leak" around the bushed rockers, but it hard to say what's not enough. Rockers with rollers on the shaft, like Harland Sharps, will "leak" much more.

thanks guys,
I just got the motor running (had a wiped out ball/socket on a push rod #2 cylinder) and i was looking though the oil filler hole and noticed the # 1 cylinder rockers aren't getting oil, looked further down and # 3 was fine.
I'll have to pull the valve covers back off, run it to see which ones aren't getting oil.
Might have a bushing spun in the rockers.

I'd like a definitive answer to the newer W2 oiling. I'm considering buying a new set and use the valves, springs, and rockers from my older model (Vintage "79 ).
It's my understanding that the new heads do not have the oil thru holes like the older ones and push rod oiling is the only option. Is this true?
I don't have access to new ones to check out but all of the pictures I can find look like no oil thru.

I'd like a definitive answer to the newer W2 oiling. I'm considering buying a new set and use the valves, springs, and rockers from my older model (Vintage "79 ).
It's my understanding that the new heads do not have the oil thru holes like the older ones and push rod oiling is the only option. Is this true?
I don't have access to new ones to check out but all of the pictures I can find look like no oil thru.

From what I have Read that is true..I only have the older sets...the newer sets required T&D rockers and there set up....

Mine are the older set,
Oiled from #2 & #4 cam journals, up to rocker shaft, out two small holes in rocker. one towards pushrod and one towards valve roller.

Do you have the Race heads with stands or Econo heads will pedestals ?

I understood this as well. I cant confirm it either since i only have the older 810 style heads
i was under the impression the new w2's were for magnum engines.

The newer w2 heads come both ways and if they do not come with oil hole you can drill them. Oil through the push rod is best.

My new motor has the newer head with the oil through the head. I am installing the engine now. I also have a set of w2 heads that oil through the push rod.

remember no chrome shafts with Norris rockers, you have to use the banana groove shaft and make sure the groove is on the bottom

Just thinking about this, if I pull off my rocker shafts and turn over the motor with the starter I should have oil at the #2 & #4 rocker shaft pedestals........correct?
This would confirm my cam bearings are lined up?

What head gaskets do you have?
I ordered Cometics thru 4-seconds flat.
I installed it & ran the engine, no oil to the rockers.
Seems there is a footnote about the W2 gasket.
Mine didn't have the hole provided for the oil galley coming up from the deck.

I drilled a hole for this in my gasket & reassembled it.
No problem oiling now.

The gaskets are identicle with the exception of the oil hole.
I don't know why the offer it without a hole, makes no sense to me.

Wonder if I can drill it out with the heads on.......if I have this problem?
once I find the passage I'll be sticking a long drill bit down to confirm.

O.K, So I went and looked at a pair of X heads I have on the bench.
Out of the five pedestals there is only one oil supply hole for the rocker arm shaft. pedestal #2. Second from the back on the right (Pass) side and second from the front on the left (drivers) side. the supply hole is not drilled straight through like I thought, it looks to be drilled half way through from each side of the head at about a 30° angle to each other.
Oh and I found my receipt when they (M&M cylinder Heads) built the motor, looks like I have Fel-Pro 1008 head gaskets.

O.K, So I went and looked at a pair of X heads I have on the bench.
Out of the five pedestals there is only one oil supply hole for the rocker arm shaft. pedestal #2. Second from the back on the right (Pass) side and second from the front on the left (drivers) side. the supply hole is not drilled straight through like I thought, it looks to be drilled half way through from each side of the head at about a 30° angle to each other.
Oh and I found my receipt when they (M&M cylinder Heads) built the motor, looks like I have Fel-Pro 1008 head gaskets.

If you are smoking adjusters there are THREE (and only THREE)reasons why this happens Nothing wrong with the way MoPar oiled the rockers/pushrods, in fact, I know that some Pro Stock guys were looking to get rid of PR oiling back in the early 's. Don't know the outcome and don't really care.

If you have oiling issues with OE Chrysler oiling you need to have PRESSURE. Anything less that PSI hot is asking for issues. It's NOT a chevy (thankfully).

The second issue is how many threads are out of the bottom of the rocker. Depending on the oil hole (Crane moved the oil hole 2-3 times so look at your rockers...Norris stuff is pretty sweet and is usually correct) you should have 9/32 inch of adjuster showing (approximately .280) plus .050 minus ZERO. That is with head gaskets and lash set correctly. If you vary from this, you will likely pay with parts to the parts gods (and they are hungry gods).

The single BIGGEST issue with oiling is from MoPar Performance (or Direct Connection if you are from my era) itself. Yes, it's true. Here is the FACTS.

The rocker shafts you get from MP are drilled for TA rocker offset. That's right friends and others. The oil holes in the SHAFT are in the incorrect spot. With the valve on the seat, rocker lashed and the adjuster removed, you should be able to stick a piece of wire through the hole in the rocker and into the shaft. I will ASSURE you that the hole in the rocker WILL NOT line up with the hole in the shaft. Grooving won't help. You will need to set everything up in as run positions, (I always blue the shafts first) then scribe on the shaft where the hole should be. Disassemble, redrill the holes in the correct positions, block the OE holes with lead shot and reassemble.

Then you will have correct oiling.

Anything else is just wasting your time.

-
Back