How does the speedometer gear stay in? MY bud took this apart and I cannot find a clip

-
Gee thanks for all the info.:D
If you are asking about the short little gear that has the round stud tip on the end, then yes you are missing the clip.
I'll find a pic for ya.

If you are asking about this style.

clip.jpg

If I remember correctly, the gear goes into the housing with a little clip, adjusted properly and the housing is held in place with a fork and bolt. This should help.
Old Speedo.GIF

I would but it is at my shop 45minutes s away and I didn't take any. Is is a normal A/T torqflite

In this case it is held on there by where the plastic gear end butts into the case metal and doesn't use a clip.

Looks like we were all answering at the same time. :lol:

It is exactly like tool man Mike illustrated. There looks to be a retaining ring. Hmm. THat is probably crap in his cuz the gear keeps falling out!

Just my 2 cents... it is my understanding that the retainer ring in ToolManMikes image is there to retain the oil seal.

That is probably crap in his cuz the gear keeps falling out!

When you say the gear keeps falling out do you mean that the gear gets out of place in the transmission under use or that the gear will not stay in the housing before you insert it into the trans?

It wont stay in the housing. Turn the housing over the gear falls out. I have never used one that did not have a clip!

that oil seal is a bugger, plenty of dripping speedo cables out there. retainer ring is for oil seal. There is no room for a clip on the shown model. Its a drop in with a retention mechanism of a stop in the trans to prevent it from walking out. Its a 1 bolt 'harvest': pull bolt, pull housing out and avoid the fluid draining, pull and pocket the gear, move on....

Just my 2 cents... it is my understanding that the retainer ring in ToolManMikes image is there to retain the oil seal.

When you say the gear keeps falling out do you mean that the gear gets out of place in the transmission under use or that the gear will not stay in the housing before you insert it into the trans?
The seal drives into the housing. I tapped mine in with a deep 1/4" drive socket. Let me look in the manual to see if it tells. I remember doing a gear and seal change but I don't remember how the ring worked. It does look like it snaps in the housing.

wont stay in the housing. Turn the housing over the gear falls out.
My bet is on the oil seal old and warn out. There is probably a bit of a friction fit to the seal that holds the gear and shaft in place till it is installed, then the gear is captive.

Any chance the gear is not propperly engaged to the cable and thus not inserted fully?

The seal drives into the housing. I tapped mine in with a deep 1/4" drive socket. Let me look in the manual to see if it tells. I remember doing a gear and seal change but I don't remember how the ring worked. It does look like it snaps in the housing.
Nothing in either of my manuals about the snap ring or seal other than replace the seal if there's fluid in the speedo cable when you unscrew it from the adapter.

My bet is on the oil seal old and warn out. There is probably a bit of a friction fit to the seal that holds the gear and shaft in place till it is installed, then the gear is captive.
"Captive" is a good word to describe it. Once it's together, the gear can't go anywhere.

Never saw any part holding that gear inplace,just put it into the adapter and install them as one.

There is no flare on the gasket surface as seen in the tracks on this old one so the only retention method would be the seal friction itself.
20181126_095741.jpg

Make sure when you put the adapter and gear in the transmission that you align the adapter with the your gear teeth numbers at the 6:00 position. See the first illustration on post#5

If you have the system shown in post #7 and the gear falls out, it is because either the seal is shot or missing. Seal friction keeps it from falling out, during handling.
OOps Pishta beat me to it,lol

all this talk about seals i think i'm gonna go shoot one or hopefully two .

It wont stay in the housing. Turn the housing over the gear falls out. I have never used one that did not have a clip!

That is the way they are.

Once installed, the snout on the gear bottoms out on the inner case of the transmission & it can not go anywhere.

-
Back