How efficient are fuel filters?

-
Put out a sign saying "free lawnmower gas" and youll have every stakebed Toyota in O-Dump stopping by. And I can call it Ocean-Slime, I was stationed at Pendleton for 2 years! If you want a really fine filter, get a metal K-Jetronic filter for a Euro car, it has a 10um filter, thats super fine.

Alright thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to drop the thing and have a good look before I go ordering a bunch of parts, but I'm pretty confident theres going to be rust throughout the fuel system. It sat for a long time in a field before I got to it.

Just thought i'd update this thread in case someone is tackling the same problem in the future.

I wanted to convince myself that there was in fact a fuel supply problem somewhere before the fuel filter so I got about five feet of hose and put it in a gas tank next to the car and started it up. I let the thing idle for ten minutes while clutching my fire extinguisher so now i'm confident that is where the problem is located.

I thought about getting a few feet more hose and running my redneck fuel tank from the passenger seat, but I decided to just get it towed instead. I have AAA. No need to die in a fiery crash.

Sometimes the filter in the tank on the sending unit pick-up will disintegrate and get sucked into the tube and clog it...

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened with today's fuel...

This sounds like a fuel tank problem, not a fuel filter problem. No fuel filter in the world can withstand rust and dirt on a major scale. The fuel system needs to be as clean as possible, starting from the source on up.

When I drained the tank in my Barracuda, I gave it to my neighbor for his lawnmower. I siphoned it right into his gas can.

X2 I use a few paint filters in a funnel to get rid of the larger rust particals.

I haven't read this entire thread but I will share what I know about fuel filters. My brother works for Robert Bosch Corp. Field failure analysis. Any Bosch fuel injector that was replaced under warranty is returned to his department ( same applies to antilock processors, trans controllers, etc.. ). Anyway, Like 99% of the retuned injectors are stuck open. A tiny shard of metal traveling under pressure goes through filter element like a sword to finally get caught in injectors. That shard of metal came from filler nozzle scrubbing filler neck.
All of the debris that we find in the vehicles systems comes from fuel transfer nozzles. Some from the ground level fill at the station. Some from the nozzle at the pump.
Geometry of the debris determines whether it passes through a filter or not.

Thanks for sharig that tidbit, Redfish. I have Bosch injectors in my CTD.... so I know who to go to now!

Late to the party. My neighbor has a 68 Galaxy that was stalling. I pulled the filter and blew it out. Out came the orange gas so I knew everything was rusty. I took the top off the 2 barrel and the jets in the bottom of the float bowl were just about covered with very fine powered rust. That's the stuff that is so small it gets through the filter. I overhauled the carb and suggested a new tank and lines. One of the first things I did to my 66 was replace the tank and lines. I would replace the filter 2 or 3 times a summer and orange gas always ran out of it when I drained it.

Since you will be changing fuel hoses also, I would strongly recommend upgrading to a R9 fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps. Reason being with ethanol everywhere using regular R7 fuel hoses again will subject those hoses to rubber degradation and rubber bits will break off and cause problems. As mentioned I also used fuel injection clamps as the ends are rolled up and will not cut into the hose like regular ones do. I have a 73 Dart and changed all fuel hoses,clamps (and a new metal gas filter) from front to back and now have one less thing to be concerned about. I did all this based on info I received from SlantSixDan...He knows his stuff for sure!!!! Good Luck....

Make sure that the hose from the sending unit doesn't kink with too much bend. I've seen that restrict fuel flow....

-
Back