How far have you driven just to pick up an engine.

-

duster360

Reaction score
I am having no luck finding a 440 anywhere near me. If I want one, looks like I am going to have to drive 2 hours or better to get a block. How far have you driven to pick up an engine or even just a block?

Last edited:
I drove to Vermont from Chicago once to get a 71 360 block, but combined 4 other stops to make the trip worthwhile...

357 miles one way to get a project car with half an engine. Does that count? Now that I've said it what the hell was I thinking. LOL

8hrs round trip to buy a Dart roller, 7hrs round trip for a Scamp parts car, and10hrs round trip for new AMD fenders and a parts grill. All from members on here. You can't find 40-50yr old stuff around the corner here in the north east.

When my wife seen the duster she said "it's going to have a four-on-the-floor correct? I said ya sure! I found one on Craigslist ($800 tranny bell housing shifter linkage flywheel and a big block dust cover? Close enough it was still a great deal) a few weeks after we bought the car as pretty much a basket case. I found one in the Puget Sound area north of Seattle and we live in Portland. I had to work and my wife drove back and forth for the 4 Speed (3 hours 185miles each way). I told the guy he can put boxes of Muffler bearings in there and my wife wouldn't know none the better(back then!). That's the 4 Speed that we've been using ever since. It's worked fine, I've rebuilt it not quite needing it but putting in the parts that I wanted. She was not my wife then but for the obvious reasons is clearly my wife now!

Some people have all the luck.
the 440 I have now I paid 100 bucks for. patience is key. I've passed up probably 10 or 12 because some people think they were cast out of gold bricks. it took about 1 year and a half before this one popped up and I jumped on it.

When my wife seen the duster she said "it's going to have a four-on-the-floor correct? I said ya sure! I found one on Craigslist ($800 tranny bell housing shifter linkage flywheel and a big block dust cover? Close enough it was still a great deal) a few weeks after we bought the car as pretty much a basket case. I found one in the Puget Sound area north of Seattle and we live in Portland. I had to work and my wife drove back and forth for the 4 Speed (3 hours 185miles each way). I told the guy he can put boxes of Muffler bearings in there and my wife wouldn't know none the better(back then!). That's the 4 Speed that we've been using ever since. It's worked fine, I've rebuilt it not quite needing it but putting in the parts that I wanted. She was not my wife then but for the obvious reasons is clearly my wife now!
Keeper!

I am fortunate to have several hoarders of mopar parts for friends, usually spend more time hanging out and b.s.ing or bench racing than it takes to go round trip...

I drove 12 hrs round trip, DesMoines Ia. To Milwaukee Wisconsin. for a complete 273 s with correct date codes for my 67 barracuda convert.
Lon;

I drove 280 miles (4.5 hours) to pick up a disassembled standard bore 340. Three months later I drove 10 miles to get a complete running 340 and its numbers matching transmission. I bought a set of complete 1971 340 big valve J heads in Chicago and drove them home with my son-in-law who flew me out to help drive his car and equipment back to SoCal after completing an out of state job assignment.

Vegas to Bakersfield...about 300 miles each way....motor and trans....headers too

I sold a fresh 302 Ford engine on ebay several years ago. Two young fellas from southern California drive from there to middle Georgia to get it. Blew me away. They said they didn't have anything else to do. lol

Back in 84 I drove 5 miles to get a NOS 440 short block vintage 77. It was only $250. It was a result of Mopar dumping all the big block stuff because of the gas crisis nonsense and insurance gouging.

Two weeks ago I drove 550 miles to pick up a 69 440 HP. And some other parts.
Traded a crankshaft for it.

13 miles to a trucking terminal to pickup a short block that they hauled 1250 miles from some cattle town in Nebraska. :eek:

If my memory serves me right... about 75 miles with the purpose to buy a motor. I think I've bought engines further away, but it wasn't planned

According to Mapquest, 1485 miles one-way, 2970 up and back (34 hours drive one-way, 68 hours up and back).

I had just returned from a road trip to California when I found a complete 340 motor (air cleaner oil pan) on Craigs List in North Sacramento. I drove from La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico in our (original owner) 1996 Dodge Dakota 3.9L 4X4 5 speed with 275,000 miles on the odometer. Had to "import" motor when passing thru Mexican Customs on the way back.

DSC03994.JPG

DSC04055.JPG

DSC04075.JPG

Last edited:
7 hour round trip for a freshly pulled 67 273 Commando engine.

-
Back