-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Early A Wiper Arms...
How do you remove them?

wiper.jpg

They're splined. The spring force of the wiper arm puts a side load on them so if you just pull up nothing happens.

Two hand operation, with one hand put four fingers under the wiper arm to pull up on the hinged part of the arm, put your thumb between the hinge and pivot to push down a little (to counter the pulling up on the arm), and then use your other hand to wiggle the end at the pivot while pulling up.

s-l1600.jpg

I wish it were that easy.. I would've had them off an hour ago.
On guitar knobs you just wrap a piece of a T-Shirt under the knob and pull Up sharply. Doesn't scratch anything and its quick and painless...
This however has been Far from painless, I'm Screaming at the friggin walls in my garage, Geez
Can I make some kind of wooden fork or something to pry them off?
Windshield is Out, Dash is Next... These are in the way right now.

There is a little stainless steel tab that acts like a retainer spring just lipping under the splined head of the wiper shaft. It’s part of the wiper arm thats over the wiper shaft head splines. It is facing the windshield under the arm. You may want to pry that out a little with a small screwdriver. Cover your screwdriver with duck tape to prevent scratches where it is going to contact your cowl or put some cardboard on the cowl.

Then after that put your screwdriver under the back lip of the wiper arm opposite the arm itself. Push down on the arm near the splined pivot head part while prying up on the rear edge. Push down and release the front hinge area of the arm gently while gently prying up on the rear edge. This will rock the splined portion of the wiper arm off the splined shaft. The wiper arm is like pot metal so make small wiggles and prys so as not to **** the arm too much and damage the splines.

DSC07665.JPG
DSC07666.JPG
DSC07667A.JPG
DSC07669.JPG
DSC07670.JPG
Get an L bracket from the hardware store and make yourself one of these. You will never scratch another cowl and stubborn wiper removal is a breeze!

The answer "it depends". My 1964 Valiant convertible has top nuts on the pivots, my 1965 Dart has the lower release clips shown. But, I don't know that both are original. The Valiant especially had much redneck-engineering, like an unknown radiator and "Honda" battery. If a top nut, there will be a flip-up cover to expose it. Same deal on my 1996 and 2002 minivans.

That's a lot of work when you could buy a Dorman 49023 Windshield Wiper Arm Tool for $8.42 from Amazon. I scratched the hell out of a lot of paint jobs before I bought one these neat tools.

That's a lot of work when you could buy a Dorman 49023 Windshield Wiper Arm Tool for $8.42 from Amazon. I scratched the hell out of a lot of paint jobs before I bought one these neat tools.
After 45 years without one of tese tools bought one and it proves once again the right tool for the job makes life so much easier.

The answer "it depends". My 1964 Valiant convertible has top nuts on the pivots, my 1965 Dart has the lower release clips shown. But, I don't know that both are original. The Valiant especially had much redneck-engineering, like an unknown radiator and "Honda" battery. If a top nut, there will be a flip-up cover to expose it. Same deal on my 1996 and 2002 minivans.

64 and earlier bolted on. That's A, B and C bodies, and pre ABC, too (my 49 Dodge's wipers bolt on). 65 started using the style shown in the OP. Again, A, B and C.

63 Valiant

20220310_082005.jpg

65 Barracuda (yes, I need to replace the windshield gasket; have one, just been too lazy to get to it)

20220310_082040.jpg

-
Back