How is the factory jack mounted?

-

Johnny Boy

Reaction score
Okay, I know this sounds funny, but can anyone provide a picture of how the factory jack, its stand, and the lug wrench is correctly mounted in the truck on an A body car? I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster. Thanks.

The jack goes on the inside of the trunk on the right side (should be brakets) and it is elevated on the forward end.

The handle goes through a loop sticking up off the trunk floor right under the mechanical portion of the jack, and a spring goes from the jack to that same loop.

The base goes in the center of your spare tire and acts as a sort of washer/hold down for the spare and the big wingnut goes on the threaded shaft that comes up through the spare.

I can't find a picture anywhere, but maybe someone has one handy.

Here's mine on a 72....

Attachments

• P1100652.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 390
I believe that the jack handle actually slides up and into the jack tube at the back end. The rear mount for the jack has a round cut out for the handle. Sorry...no pics. The spring loops into the notch where the bumper mount goes and you then lightly tension the spring using the jack.

The spring doesn't go on the welded loop. lower end of the spring hooks around the tire tool pulling it up against that loop. Upper end of the spring hooks to jack mechanism and a few click with hand will tighten the spring tension.
I don't have a pic. Surely someone does.

Only place this info was shown was the factory owners manual.

The jack instruction decal leaves much to guess. And the shop manual shows nothing for 69..

I would imagine all A bodies are similar. It would make since that you do not want the tire iron banging around. So the tire iron goes through the loop in the spring .

The base plate goes under with the spare tire....

I believe that the jack handle actually slides up and into the jack tube at the back end. The rear mount for the jack has a round cut out for the handle. Sorry...no pics. The spring loops into the notch where the bumper mount goes and you then lightly tension the spring using the jack.

The spring doesn't go on the welded loop. lower end of the spring hooks around the tire tool pulling it up against that loop. Upper end of the spring hooks to jack mechanism and a few click with hand will tighten the spring tension.
I don't have a pic. Surely someone does.

I'm interested in changing mine around if I can get a definite answer on which way it goes. Someone must have a pic to share :)

Thanks

:thumbup: Great post & pic 1969383S.....I'll try to change mine around tomorrow :D

Here is the pic from the owners manual of a 69 Barracuda. Like said seems most A bodies would be the same.

Now I'm perplexed :scratch:

I just tried to reposition my jack handle and there's NO way it will fit like shown above. I have an extra loop at the top of the U shaped area hmmmm ??

I'll post a pic later if needed...

mine is exactly like picture above.

BUT how I lift my duster with that kind of jack??
anyone has picture to show how to lift a body?

mine is exactly like picture above.

BUT how I lift my duster with that kind of jack??
anyone has picture to show how to lift a body?

Your front and rear bumper should have slots for the jack to slide into to lift the car on whatever side you need to change a tire on.

The jack pictured in a blue trunk is same as 67 fish. It will hook on the bumper but just barely. In my opinion it is for show only and absolutely not to be used. I have a small jack of different type tied to the properly placed OEM jack with bungee cords.

The jack pictured in a blue trunk is same as 67 fish. It will hook on the bumper but just barely. In my opinion it is for show only and absolutely not to be used. I have a small jack of different type tied to the properly placed OEM jack with bungee cords.

It looks like it would just barely get a hold on the bumper, and there are certainly better ways to jack the car up.
BUT, I used those jacks for years and years when I was a kid and they always held and did the job.
It looks like a tiny little edge that catches the bumper but the downforce on that little hooked area is pretty solid, and I have shaken the heck out of some of the cars while up on the jack and the thing never budged.

"Your opinion is solid for show only" !!! I would not even consider using it to lift the car....

I assure you it is though..... :)

Here's a pic of the difference between mine & the pic posted earlier by 1969383S :scratch:

72 Demon

View attachment 1714748164

And just to keep the conversation interesting.....Here's a 73 Duster jack mount

View attachment 1714748165

Wow the later A's are quite a bit different. It still looks like if you set the tire iron in first into the notch at the rear. Then set the jack in on top of it, then it may work similarly.

Like said this is know for a 69 b'cuda I just figured the later a-bodies would be close to the same.

The tire iron I have is obviously not correct. There is NO way it will make the turn to fit thru the bracket. It's difficult to see in the pics, but on my 72 the loop goes completely across the top of the mount. There is no notch like shown in the 73 Duster pic :scratch:

I've been looking thru a few different manuals trying to find a pic, but no luck yet. I'll post if I find anything for the later cars.....

I don't even know why I'm going thru the trouble of trying to figure it out, because if I get a flat tire I'm SOL since I don't carry a spare #-o :)

Here a couple pics of how my jack is installed on my '71 Demon.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 208
  • photo 3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 198
  • photo 2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 205
-
Back