How many CURRENT owners of real '74 360 Duster 4 speed cars on here?

-
Double check #'s-motor does not look like correct color blue. Dash Cluster looks funny, and what do you think about the fender tag paint? Just throwing some thoughts at you. Beautiful car!

Dash cluster is very faded. This has Been a southern car.engine has been painted at some point. This car has original paint and there again the paint is faded and very thin in spots.

It appears some one at one point tried to touch up the under hood paint. The tag area look like it has some overspray. May have looked like the same red color when painted but it is definitely off a little. Paint on the engine was probably changed at that point. The tag has never been off that fender. All the tag options match the car. I have no dought it is real. However I have not checked the engine number. The only things I see missing is the thermoquad carb (It has a edelbrock on it) and it has early style road wheels not the late model type.

I'm gonna be having a buddy bring his 74 Duster 360 4sp with pistol grip shifter into my garage to get it running here in the next little while. It's been parked in a garage for the last 20 years. No rust. Blue velvet and black vinyl interior in very nice shape.
Is this the kind of car that should be kept 100% factory? I understand that there's not a lot of them around but would it be worth a lot more if it was kept stock?
Thanks

Stock is always better. Kim

I agree.

I cringed as a buddy of mine who bought my #'s 74 360 4 speed Duster started doing mods on it. Car still had allot of its original paint and was still very nice as well when I sold it. To each is own though I guess.

Another vote for keeping it stock and original.
Worth more?
It depends on the buyer.
I would say that the split would be about 50/50.
For me, i like to keep it original if it already is original, so go from there..........

Stock for sure or mods that cane be reversed easily. Car did not come with a pistol grip shifter

Well, old thread, but another has risen from the archives. Paid for today. Haven't seen it, but it is ROUGH. Very rough. This is a true case of looks are deceiving! Lipstick on a pig. ROTTEN rockers. No 360, 340 in it's place. No idea if the trans is original etc. Bench seat. I will see my purchase in two days. A good friend is hauling it to me then.
And it's green......imagine that!

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg

Last edited:
Here is what I can make out so far........fairly generic I think.

VS29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Special
2 Door Sports Hardtop

L4B: 360 245HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL HP
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

328782: Sequence number

E58: 360 cid 4 barrel V8 245hp
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
KG8: Deep Sherwood Poly Exterior Color
C4G6: Trim - Charger, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Green
000: Full Door Panels
220: Build Date: February 20
C32766: Order number

KG8: Deep Sherwood Poly Top Color
C: Canada Specifications
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G55: Outside LH Remote Painted Racing Mirror
G65: Outside RH Manual Painted Racing Mirror
G75: Dual Painted Racing Mirrors

J52: Inside Hood Release
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
N41: Dual Exhaust
N76: Coolant Recovery System
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V6W: Longitudinal Stripes, White

V88: Tranverse Stripes, Deleted
26: 26in Radiator
L2: Unknown
447: Unknown

Last edited:
That Sherwood green is really nice too. Nice car! It has a tuff steering wheel too

They are out there. Too bad it suffered what a lot of the cars in the ‘80’s were inflicted with which was the flip up sun roofs. However, nothing that a little more work wouldn’t solve. Keep us updated on the progress!

That should be a crank open sunroof. I think.

If so the fender tag would have the M52 code. So this one has an aftermarket cut a hole in the roof and then watch it start to leak 6 years later.....

The hole looks too small to be factory. I'll know for sure tomorrow night, but I'm fairly certain it's a leaker!

Any one know what the L2 and 447 signify on the fender tag??

L2 is assembly line 2 (shortened from EN2 used in previous years)

No meaning has been found for the three digits after that, but they are always 3 digit numbers.

L2 is assembly line 2 (shortened from EN2 used in previous years)

No meaning has been found for the three digits after that, but they are always 3 digit numbers.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

It's home. Lots of substandard repairs. Frame cap on driver front. Front floors are tin screwed down! Terrible quarter patches etc. Oh well, it will never be original again. But.......it runs! And not too badly. 340, 4spd, 8 1/4 sure grip.

It's home. Lots of substandard repairs. Frame cap on driver front. Front floors are tin screwed down! Terrible quarter patches etc. Oh well, it will never be original again. But.......it runs! And not too badly. 340, 4spd, 8 1/4 sure grip.

If you can't have the #'s 360 motor a good running 340 is a great alternative for a 74 Duster, IMO.

-
Back