How many CURRENT owners of real '74 360 Duster 4 speed cars on here?

-
How about your sun roof, is it factory? Put a new frame section and floor in it. When you done that color will look amazing- maybe a white 360stripe on the side?

Unfortunately it is a cheesy aftermarket sunroof. But that’s ok. I do have a skin if I decided to do so. Not likely though. This project will probably end up in somebody else’s garage! I may do the frame and rockers to make it viable for them though.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well, old thread, but another has risen from the archives. Paid for today. Haven't seen it, but it is ROUGH. Very rough. This is a true case of looks are deceiving! Lipstick on a pig. ROTTEN rockers. No 360, 340 in it's place. No idea if the trans is original etc. Bench seat. I will see my purchase in two days. A good friend is hauling it to me then.
And it's green......imagine that!

Another one to add to the list, even if just temporarily :)

Been too long to just update the list as I am pretty sure some on the list have been sold, so....

At least two more of us still have our cars.:thumbsup:

This one appears to be optioned very closely to mine, same colors and everything. Big difference is mine had a little more color as it had a white vinyl top and the side stripes. I must like your combination better as I got paint on mine a little over a year ago and went without the vinyl top and don’t have stripes on it yet. :lol:

Pretty cool to see the his thread come back up.

Seems like I keep tripping over people on here that own 1974 4 speed Dusters 360's, and I am curious how many there are.

I'm talking currenlty owned factory VIN code "L", E58 Dusters built in 1974, with 4 speeds. Not "I used to have....", not 1974 Duster's that someone put a 360 in, and then converted to a 4 speed. Nothing against them, just not what I am asking about.

Funny thing is (to me), they built more 1970 Hemi Cuda's in total than 1974 Duster 360's with 4 speeds, at least according to the production numbers I have. And yet, I keep seeing people say they have one. In fact, it almost seems that there are more 4 speed cars than auto's here as I can only think of two people with 1974 Duster 360 auto's, Prine and one other.

I know of at least (3) others besides myself with 4 speed cars, just wondering if there are any others.

Love to hear some stories and history, too.

Short story on mine is; found it in a junkyard in '91 or '92, fixed it and drove it as my daily until about 2000, sold it to a buddy who owned it as his first car, got it back in July of 2009 and finally drove it again 3 or 4 weeks ago. Sad part is, the week before I got it back it was a running and driving car and it didn't turn a tire in anger again until I drove it home a month ago, but that's a story for later. I will try and put some pictures up later, too.
I have a 74 360 auto numbers matching with a 1-74 build date

Not to change the subject, but since I am also into the F body (volare, aspen 76-80), They had an available E58 360 4 bbl engine, actually the fastest US car in those years, even beats the Corvette. Wondering how the '74 360 compares??

Not to change the subject, but since I am also into the F body (volare, aspen 76-80), They had an available E58 360 4 bbl engine, actually the fastest US car in those years, even beats the Corvette. Wondering how the '74 360 compares??

I like the F-Bodies, too, used to have a ’78 Volare Super Coupe. I’ve thought about buying another F-Body but haven’t seen one I wanted other than the Super Coupe on Bring A Trailer that went for cheap (but more than I was willing to spend).

As I recall, the E58 in the F-Body had the following disadvantage:

1. Single exhaust (duals don’t even fit due to gas tank offset)
2. Catalytic converter
3. Log exhaust manifold on DS (’74 Duster had freeflow)
4. Milder cam (’74 Duster had 340 cam)

Could be wrong about the cam, but pretty sure. And can’t remember if the F-Body E-58 was Lean Burn or not.

Also, rumor has it that the A_Body was about 100 lbs lighter than the F-Body.

Based on the above, I would speculate that the '74 360 Duster is faster (stock vs. stock).

Last edited:
I agree the 360 body is lighter, faster and better. The F body had some good point as to headers, because of the horizontal T bars, the duals are easy, move the tank over, or side xhaust as the AAR Cuda. Yes the lean burn worked well when working and doing what it was supposed to do, but now days just remove it! Not sure if it came on the E58 engine either!
The F body is what it is. Still some cool factory add ons, graphics, good ride but too soft, fixable too. Cheap.
I admit I prefer the 340-360 A body, but the Volare is a cheap ride today, yes a mint T bar Super Coupe will get expensive IF anyone will sell one.
The F body is cheap and can be made to be whatever you want, cool if you like its look, did I mention cheap!!?? lol

Yes I still rather have the 360 A body!!!!! Or for me I am good with dropping that 360 into my slant Duster if I get the energy and urge!!! Cheap again! lol

Really cool post, folks. Oldkimmer has one of everything, too! Not to hijack, but I'm wondering if anyone knows production numbers on the 74 Duster 360 with buckets and a console auto. I have one (numbers motor/tranny) and would really like to know. Here's my fender tag. The car was sienna (on parchment) but the last owner changed it to yellow. I collected everything to swap in a 4 speed with a bench, including the hump, but can't bring myself to do it, so I found a 6cyl car and plan to build that one and leave my original 360 car alone.

fender tag.jpg

Really cool post, folks. Oldkimmer has one of everything, too! Not to hijack, but I'm wondering if anyone knows production numbers on the 74 Duster 360 with buckets and a console auto. I have one (numbers motor/tranny) and would really like to know. Here's my fender tag. The car was sienna (on parchment) but the last owner changed it to yellow. I collected everything to swap in a 4 speed with a bench, including the hump, but can't bring myself to do it, so I found a 6cyl car and plan to build that one and leave my original 360 car alone.

View attachment 1715388811
2975 360 automatics. I bet here is no breakdown for buckets/ console.

View attachment 1715388811
Nicely optioned car.
Are you going to return it to the original color?
Good choice to not change the car to a 4 speed and leave it alone.
How about some more pics of the car?

Thanks...yes I do plan on painting it again but I think autumn bronze metallic will be my choice. Almost the same as sienna but a bit nicer. I'll post a few pics later today.

I've got the stock 360 hp 4v complete air cleaner to oil pan clutch fan to bellhousing including exhaust manifolds but I don't have the car. I've had the 360 for over 30 years, the transmission was gone before I got the motor.
I had plans for it but will never use it, its very complete.

I've got the stock 360 hp 4v complete air cleaner to oil pan clutch fan to bellhousing including exhaust manifolds but I don't have the car. I've had the 360 for over 30 years, the transmission was gone before I got the motor.
I had plans for it but will never use it, its very complete.
You're in my neighborhood. We need to talk.

That’s a nice original colour combo (sienna brown and parchment interior)! Was it a vinyl top car originally?

Even though it appears to have a radio in one of the pictures, was it originally a radio delete car? I don’t see a R11 or R21 code on the fender tag for an AM or AM/FM radio.

The paint is actually "30 footer" driver quality...the previous owner did it himself and it was his first full paint job (he deserves credit, though). No vinyl on this Duster which is fine with me...don't think the dual mirrors go well with the roof IMHO. The full tinted glass on the other hand...that really sets the color off. I'm adding the broadcast sheet (1.5 pages) and you can see the radio codes are absent. Thanks for the enthusiasm...and still wish I knew how rare the auto console is in comparison to the 4 speed because most of the 360 auto cars I've seen are column cars...maybe we should count members with and without? At the end of the day, however, I am (like most) a diehard 4 speed fan and the builder will be equipped with a 4 speed and a bench seat...might sneak in a '71 340 that I'm sitting on as well.

IMAG2759.jpg

IMAG2760.jpg

Rare for sure Chris. I would make it all original. I had a 1974 auto 360 car it was column shift too.

-
Back