How many items can you sell before you should pay vendor fees?

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Obvious as to who this pertains to. I know it's been covered in the past but not from the vendor fee angle.

No bucks.
Less and less people would post parts up for sale ... creates a board that would die.
I only come here looking for parts or to get rid of parts and I know I am not the only one.

People's garages would stay full and maybe those parts turn up at a swap meet or they end up in the scrap heap because a lot don't want to spend money to make money.

Most parts I assume are posted by people that find a car that is too far gone and are trying to help others get their cars running.

If you don't have the parts source more parts are eliminated and made into Hondas.

I like to believe the most traffic on these boards are help related or part looking.

I for one bought a couple cars that were filled with parts and to offset the cars I sold off the extra parts to create one car and purchase other parts to finish mine off.

If I didn't sell on here I would have tried to have sold in my local chevy community or scrapped the parts to get the cash.

Also the fees on ebay got too expensive so it has basically died.
Kijiji is headed in the same direction if they get too greedy

eBay has died? Weird that their stock is up 36% in the last year. They have 167 million users. In 2015 eBay had 82 billion dollars in sales. Yeah, not so dead.

I get it, I don't think we should have fees for ads for hobbyists selling a few parts, because that would discourage people from selling stuff they have. But, I also don't think it's unreasonable for someone selling hundreds of parts to pay some kind of vendor fee, that's a business.

What's the magic sale number that moves you from hobbyist selling some spares to a vendor? I don't know. 20 a year seems pretty low, I could hit that if I sold all the stuff I have that I probably should sell. 50? 100 definitely seems more like a business. But I bet that wouldn't capture a bunch of the folks whose multiple sale postings have inspired this thread, because I bet not even all of them sell parts on this board every few days. And I don't think most of them are actually selling parts to make a living, which would make them a business and therefore someone that should be a vendor. Sure some of them may be supplementing their income, but if they aren't making enough to be a business then they don't need to be vendors.

Just comes down to where you draw the line. Too low and people won't sell parts they don't need to others that need them. Too high and there's no point.

I think there is a difference between those of us parting out cars to help other members at "friendly" pricing ( read : reasonable ) and those sellers who have a huge number of parts and sell with obvious profit in mind.

Ebay is not what it used to be from an automotive hobyist perspective. I dont give a rats *** what there stock is doing. Ten years ago you could go on there looking for car parts and it was like the worlds biggest auto swap meet, with people like us here buying and selling parts. There were good deals to be had to help put your project together on a budget. Now it is nothing but companies selling parts and asian knock off companies.

I was just thinking yesterday how I used to like ebay and how nice it would be to have that kind of thing here. Perhaps we could have everything listed for sale for a certain time period. The seller sets an initial price. From there people can offer up or down, publicly, and the seller can accept any bid at any time. If the item doesnt sell within the listing period the add is cancelled and it cannot be re listed for, say 6 months. If not the seller has to accept the highest price above his inital asking, if all offers are below his asking he doesnt have to sell it.

Thoughts? I suppose it would be hard to police and regulate. It could be set that only long term members can participate?

eBay has died? Weird that their stock is up 36% in the last year. They have 167 million users. In 2015 eBay had 82 billion dollars in sales. Yeah, not so dead.

I get it, I don't think we should have fees for ads for hobbyists selling a few parts, because that would discourage people from selling stuff they have. But, I also don't think it's unreasonable for someone selling hundreds of parts to pay some kind of vendor fee, that's a business.

What's the magic sale number that moves you from hobbyist selling some spares to a vendor? I don't know. 20 a year seems pretty low, I could hit that if I sold all the stuff I have that I probably should sell. 50? 100 definitely seems more like a business. But I bet that wouldn't capture a bunch of the folks whose multiple sale postings have inspired this thread, because I bet not even all of them sell parts on this board every few days. And I don't think most of them are actually selling parts to make a living, which would make them a business and therefore someone that should be a vendor. Sure some of them may be supplementing their income, but if they aren't making enough to be a business then they don't need to be vendors.

Just comes down to where you draw the line. Too low and people won't sell parts they don't need to others that need them. Too high and there's no point.
I think the Ebay sales numbers are skewed because I sold a car on there 4 times last year with no response from any of the buyers so it really did not sell and this year they sent me a statement on how much I sold last year and it was the amount of selling that car 4 times with no sale. I gave up and sold it on Craigslist.

I'll be watching this thread, not that anything we think will make a difference in the way things are done because it apparently varies a great deal who can get away with doing what on here without being a vendor.
If fee paying vendors and advertisers were to go away for example, I'd bet this website would collapse from lack of interest on the part of the website owner to keep it going.

If everyone that had a few hundred or thousand dollars in parts or products to sell, they wouldn't do it here if they were forced to pay the vendor fee and the site would suffer from that as well.
Might as well just go to retailers for your parts instead of here if that were the case.
Then we would just have a discussion board with a bunch of retailers trying to convince you to buy their stuff, but not one OEM part available.

All things considered it's probably best left the way it is now, where if you are a commercial seller and feel the vendor fee is recoverable with the increased sales then pay the fee and get your commercial ads included in the fee and sell away.
If you are just trying to make a few extra bucks to offset your hobby a little like I do then you should be left to do so.

Well unless you make a fee paying vendor cry and he demands the website owner do something about you. (and he will)
Now watch this post, or at least that last sentence disappear from my post like magic.

Honest question..not trying to be a smart *** or anything. Maybe I just need to be educated, but what difference does it make to the average guy who comes to this site ?

I guess to me a vendor is more of a seller of a manufactured or remanufactured product than just a guy selling used parts removed from parts cars! Take my crossmembers for instance, if I were to come into dozens of crossmembers, set up a permanent manufacturing and distribution process, and come here to sell them, I would expect to be considered a vendor! If I just make a few here and there when I have a couple extra, I would be considered a hobbyist seller! I probably buy more parts cars than most anybody here, but do so one or 2 at a time, most everytime it's a body style I already have and need parts for my own cars as well, and just sell the extra parts! I list them occasionally on the FB Mopar groups, but mostly sell them here because I want to contribute to the hobby and help my fabo brothers and sisters with their projects! A vendor may provide needed parts, but may not be in the hobby itself! I guess that's the difference to me!

I guess to me a vendor is more of a seller of a manufactured or remanufactured product than just a guy selling used parts removed from parts cars! Take my crossmembers for instance, if I were to come into dozens of crossmembers, set up a permanent manufacturing and distribution process, and come here to sell them, I would expect to be considered a vendor! If I just make a few here and there when I have a couple extra, I would be considered a hobbyist seller! I probably buy more parts cars than most anybody here, but do so one or 2 at a time, most everytime it's a body style I already have and need parts for my own cars as well, and just sell the extra parts! I list them occasionally on the FB Mopar groups, but mostly sell them here because I want to contribute to the hobby and help my fabo brothers and sisters with their projects! A vendor may provide needed parts, but may not be in the hobby itself! I guess that's the difference to me!
Well said!!! Joey makes the ultimate decision along with the seller and yes there are a few big used parts sellers here. I used to get a bit upset with the ad bombing but what a great service they provide. I have bought many nice parts and goodies from non-vendors here and I wouldn't want it any other way. They are a big part of what makes this site so great!

Also worth mentioning is that the sellers that bump their ads DO pay a fee, they're Gold members (otherwise they wouldn't have bumping privileges). And I'm just guessing about who we're talking about, but the sellers with the most ads do bump them, and are gold members already. So they are paying for the the ability to bump their ads all the time.

Also worth mentioning is that the sellers that bump their ads DO pay a fee, they're Gold members (otherwise they wouldn't have bumping privileges). And I'm just guessing about who we're talking about, but the sellers with the most ads do bump them, and are gold members already. So they are paying for the the ability to bump their ads all the time.
Yes sir! Those guys also know the rules, follow them , and we as moderators don't have to babysit what they do. They title their ads in the correct heading, include necessary info like location, prices, and photos, and mark the ad sold when it is over. They are also very conscience about the 3 day bump rule. We still look them over but their "professionalism" makes our volunteer jobs much easier.

How many engine builders/machinists come here and offer advice for free? There's a lot of 'splaining going on in the tech stuff that they do for free.
Its a trade off. 100, 000 threads here, if the ads are an issue go read old threads

OK, my 2 cents worth. I believe the people who sell a lot of parts on FABO are doing us a huge favor. For one thing, they attract a lot of hits to the site by people who start out looking for a few parts and may wind up staying. Also, how often does someone post a Part Wanted request that is answered by one of the frequent sellers. If we start putting limits on these people, that would hurt a lot of us. Before I was on FABO, I bought a rough but running 69 Barracuda 340 4 speed fastback just for 4 speed setup. I converted my car to a 4 speed with the parts car, and then parted the rest of it out on Ebay. I sold several hundred parts, and wound up getting a free 4 speed conversion and making about a thousand dollars clear profit. If FABO stopped us from being able to part out a car like that, It would hurt the ability of a lot of guys to upgrade their cars. We should be thanking them for helping to keep the forum vibrant and active.

I guess your right, plus it is easy to get around not having to look at them if you know how to do it.
OK, my 2 cents worth. I believe the people who sell a lot of parts on FABO are doing us a huge favor. For one thing, they attract a lot of hits to the site by people who start out looking for a few parts and may wind up staying. Also, how often does someone post a Part Wanted request that is answered by one of the frequent sellers. If we start putting limits on these people, that would hurt a lot of us. Before I was on FABO, I bought a rough but running 69 Barracuda 340 4 speed fastback just for 4 speed setup. I converted my car to a 4 speed with the parts car, and then parted the rest of it out on Ebay. I sold several hundred parts, and wound up getting a free 4 speed conversion and making about a thousand dollars clear profit. If FABO stopped us from being able to part out a car like that, It would hurt the ability of a lot of guys to upgrade their cars. We should be thanking them for helping to keep the forum vibrant and active.

No bucks.
Less and less people would post parts up for sale ... creates a board that would die.
I only come here looking for parts or to get rid of parts and I know I am not the only one.

People's garages would stay full and maybe those parts turn up at a swap meet or they end up in the scrap heap because a lot don't want to spend money to make money.

Most parts I assume are posted by people that find a car that is too far gone and are trying to help others get their cars running.

If you don't have the parts source more parts are eliminated and made into Hondas.

I like to believe the most traffic on these boards are help related or part looking.
I disagree. There are parts listings by the same guys, sometimes more than a page long. over and over and over again. they are it for the money, you can tell by the overly high prices on them. I have always been able to beat their prices on ebay, and using paypal, there is a guarantee. I think they should have to pay for entire page listings !

I don't see a problem. Sure, there sometimes a page full of for sale ads. If I'm not looking for anything, I just scroll past them. I've been lucky enough to get a few hard to find parts on here.

I don't see a problem. Sure, there sometimes a page full of for sale ads. If I'm not looking for anything, I just scroll past them. I've been lucky enough to get a few hard to find parts on here.
Yep. Just scroll on by!

I thought if you hit the "ignore" button for those users that post and annoy you, problem solved. Correct?

Yep. Just scroll on by!

Exactly. Not hard to do.

I thought if you hit the "ignore" button for those users that post and annoy you, problem solved. Correct?

That's also true. If you're not looking for any parts that would work. And if those sellers comment in another thread you get a "show ignored content" message so you really don't have to miss out on anything useful they may post in a thread you're looking at.

-
Back