How many of these 65 darts were made??

-

Diego53

Reaction score
Hi everyone, When I bought my dart the guy who sold it to me made claims that it was very rare and there were at most 6 of them made to these particular specifications , I have pictures of the paperwork he gave me as well as I’ll post a pic of the VIN for you guys to look at.. does anyone know if this guy is full of it ?
D9977180-F339-4039-8525-29BFE0718C80.jpeg
F9A1814A-9D56-473B-B8DE-AAF042884846.jpeg
EC22997C-CA5B-4AB7-92A0-2BC108CCF3B4.jpeg
0FEB1904-A16A-4E06-95DF-C2A7D7DD9C39.jpeg
3C6EDCAE-58E9-4EE4-9FD6-BB380347E299.jpeg

It is a 273-4 barrel according to the engine code 31. My book doesn't have any breakdown for 2 and 4 door cars in 65 but it says that there were 7097 model 270 V8 cars made. @65dartcharger may have more information.

My 1965 is a white 4 door 270 trim, 273 cu in 2 barrel, 3 speed manual on the tree, blue interior. No reverse lights. A/C, no power steering.

It makes good sense that the car is unusual in that the 270 Darts were the High Trim model - extra chrome, stainless trim, nicer seat covers/ dash. It was targeted to families looking for a little step up in style - not a performance offering like the Dart GT. Ordering this particular model with that engine would have probably been a special order by a very specific, very car conscious buyer...

Also another question:
I was taking the door panels off to spray some wd-40 in the window crank mechanisms because they were all a little sticky . I was looking at the panels wondering what the markings other than the date meant ?
B9EBA55A-7B71-4851-B9AD-105BC015B762.jpeg
E89005BD-D4B6-46C0-B555-127669AEFFC9.jpeg
39B88AFD-3398-44AD-B667-1806C722549E.jpeg

01BA93C0-A034-40A2-929B-E5439D0F99A1.jpeg

D676DA9F-B125-4E59-A21D-5F19DDE344A0.jpeg

Kinda wigged me out looking at someone’s handwriting from 1964. Also why is the date on The doors 5 days later than the assembly date on the VIN? Could there be any interesting reason they were behind schedule or is this common ?

The key word is "scheduled " production date. The actual date can vary because of a quality control issue that held it up or sidelined it. A parts issue, availability. Many reasons.
The seller looks to really make this car seem to be important/valuable to go through this "research" on such a low dollar car.
Back then you could order about anything you wanted. Everything could be a "1 of 1" Now if it was a Hemi car...

The 1st 4 digits of the VIN are 1352. That weird Because that would make it a Plymouth Valiant / Barracuda 6cyl V200 made in the 65 model year at the Hamtramck plant. Something isn't right here.

Here are the production figures.
Thanks , i believe that’s what the paperwork says but then it throws in the “if it was a 2 door it was one of 3 if it was 4 door it was one of six” .what could they have been talking about ? Maybe because it didn’t have power steering or something idk Im not much of a car guy but I’m enjoying the learning process

The 1st 4 digits of the VIN are 1352. That weird Because that would make it a Plymouth Valiant / Barracuda 6cyl V200 made in the 65 model year at the Hamtramck plant. Something isn't right here.
It's L352....L being Dart.

Thanks , i believe that’s what the paperwork says but then it throws in the “if it was a 2 door it was one of 3 if it was 4 door it was one of six” .what could they have been talking about ? Maybe because it didn’t have power steering or something idk Im not much of a car guy but I’m enjoying the learning process
I found that statement rather confusing too. It's also interesting that it's a 9/11 car! Being a 4dr, it won't ever be near the value of a 2dr, but, it probably is a fairly rare car......just not as desirable to most people.

I found that statement rather confusing too. It's also interesting that it's a 9/11 car! Being a 4dr, it won't ever be near the value of a 2dr, but, it probably is a fairly rare car......just not as desirable to most people.
Yeah was just curious not looking to sell it anytime soon

Hey quick question I have this posted on another thread but I’m getting bubbling out of my tank at the pickup tube , I took the thing off and it’s super shiny and nice inside no rust or anything looks to be completely intact is there any reason this could happen other than 5 gallons of gas just isn’t fully submerging the pickup ??

You're blowing air through the fuel sender and getting bubbling in the tank? You should, with anything over a gallon in there. Maybe I'm not understanding the question.....

You're blowing air through the fuel sender and getting bubbling in the tank? You should, with anything over a gallon in there. Maybe I'm not understanding the question.....
What I mean is there’s bubbles coming through the pickup tube into the fuel line from the tank when the car is running

So, you're seeing air bubbles in the fuel filter with the engine running?

This is a good illustration of the difference between rare and valuable. A 1967 Valiant 4-door sedan with a 273 Commando and 4 speed would be an extremely rare car (I've heard of one), rarer than any Barracuda in all probability, but in the end it's just a Valiant sedan.

Is it the original sender? Post a photo of it. I'd pull the sender and see if there are leaks in the tube somewhere. Pull the sock off the bottom end, coat the whole tube with soapy water, plug one end with your finger, and blow into the other end. Some later sender, including some repops, don't have the correct resistance and give the gauge a false reading. I've also seen some that don't fit the tank properly. You want the pickup sock to be right at the bottom of the tank without rubbing on it. Bend the tube as necessary to achieve that. The best way is with the tank off so you can look into the filler neck hole to see where it sits. If you've done a few, you can also "feel" how close the sock is to the bottom when installing it by tilting the pickup so it hits the bottom and then guess how far it's off the bottom when you square up the sender to the tank opening.

This is a good illustration of the difference between rare and valuable. A 1967 Valiant 4-door sedan with a 273 Commando and 4 speed would be an extremely rare car (I've heard of one), rarer than any Barracuda in all probability, but in the end it's just a Valiant sedan.
Yup, they only made 132 273 4bbl 4 speed Valiants total, so, a 4dr version would be rare.

-
Back