How many of you without a dash pad? Now With Pics

-
Dash caps are great. They do come in colors too. The samples on line are hard to tell what they are though. Save BIG with $9.99 .COMs from GoDaddy!

It was one of the fasted jobs I've done on it the Dart that yielded instant results. Prep to finish was about an hour. The fit was superb too.

Dashpad 51-1.jpg

Dashpad 51-2.jpg

Still letting the backs of your hands heal up from last time? :-D

For some reason I can't manage ANYTHING hardly under the dash without ending up leaking.
I call it "Leaking coolant" but whenever I use that phrase someone suggests that I somehow made my heater core start leaking.

I agree. The older I get the more the back of my hands bleed at the slightest cuts. I can't remember the last time one of my hands didn't have scabs on it!

man you guys are wussies , 7 cap nuts , the glove box liner , and cluster , big woop LOL

By can of worms, I meant how projects tend to snow ball. Sure, I could put the new pad on, but the dash needs to be painted, and the gauges need to be replaced, etc. My engine rebuild has already stalled because of lack of funding... :mumum:

By can of worms, I meant how projects tend to snow ball. Sure, I could put the new pad on, but the dash needs to be painted, and the gauges need to be replaced, etc. My engine rebuild has already stalled because of lack of funding... :mumum:

I know that one all too well , I was only after the dash cap, then I ended up repainting the dash while I was in there, then the heater controls, then the cluster , then a new headliner ..... then painted the steering column , ........rear panels.......package tray.........carpet ...........door panels ..............steering wheel.............seats............ugh........but it was worth it

I also eliminated my dash pad on a 66 Dart. Here are a couple of lousy pictures. The second one is after one coat of primer.

Should be ready for paint in the next month or two.

Dashpad 55-1.jpg

Dashpad 55-2.jpg

I filled the holes in with "gorilla hair" body putty, then a light coat of lightweight putty over that. Lots of the "race car" stuff is gone as its going back on the street, more dash mods to come!!! May do a carbon fiber wrap over the tin work on dash and door panels.

Nice job on the add-on gauge panel.

I have done a couple of dash pad replacements with caps. The first I had enough of the original pad to bond the cap to it.

The second, all I had was the frame that the pad should have been on. I put the frame in the cap and filled the void with Great Stuff (spray foam insulation from Home Depot). Great Stuff expands but it can be peculiar about how it does it. For instance, in some cases, I had to go back and fill gaps and in others I had to trim it back. If something goes wrong. It is best to let it harden and scrape it off. The cap stayed on the frame with Great Stuff providing the most of the adhesion for five years when I sold the car. I did use a silicone seal product where the frame and cap came together.

Damn my winshield is dirty. :)
I gotta clean that if the rain doesn't.

Ok, so here we are.
I picked up a tach, A/F meter and awhile back I added a new fuel guage that is currently temp attached above the wiper switch till I decided what I was doing.
In the straight on shot of the guages I added the image of the fuel guage into the guage cluster with a photo program just to see it with all three guages mounted.

That last pic, I drew and pasted so you can get what the finnished dash will look like and be able to post the intended outcome with the carbon fiber sheeting and trim that will be stepped on the underside so it will make a nice frame attaching it to the dash.
I will use finer grain, but this is the idea.
I will probably end up fabbing an end cap for the two ends where the aluminum trim comes together at the outside ends.

The guage cluster is hand made from a light steel computer side cover.

Nice work, I really like your design / idea for the gauge mounts. It's another good option for someone that doesn't want the typical under dash gauge mount. Keep your progress posted up!

WAAY back in the day, I thought the extra gauges hanging under the dash looked cool.
Looking away from where I was going didn't bother me then, but I prefer hands on the wheel & eyes on the road now.
That's a cool pod you built, TB. I like it. I'd like to angle the gauge faces toward me, or maybe put the pod in front of me, though.
My passengers don't need to know that stuff anyway and it might scare 'um!

BC

WAAY back in the day, I thought the extra gauges hanging under the dash looked cool.
Looking away from where I was going didn't bother me then, but I prefer hands on the wheel & eyes on the road now.
That's a cool pod you built, TB. I like it. I'd like to angle the gauge faces toward me, or maybe put the pod in front of me, though.
My passengers don't need to know that stuff anyway and it might scare 'um!

BC

I thought about angling them, but I sit back quite a ways and the angle isn't a problem at all.
Yesterday I finnished the pod install and all the wiring involved, then drove it for a little while.
I still need to get the bung installed for the A/F guage, but between my Brother and I we have all the equipment and ability to "Git er done".
Maybe this week since it's supposed to be in the upper 60's.

I got my '67's dash close to finished up after welding up the holes for the dash pad. I like it. Just got new burl wood inserts for the bezel too but haven't fully installed them yet.

2nd pic is kinda crappy

Dashpad 61-1.jpg

Dashpad 62-1.jpg

I got my '67's dash close to finished up after welding up the holes for the dash pad. I like it. Just got new burl wood inserts for the bezel too but haven't fully installed them yet.

2nd pic is kinda crappy

I like it without the wood better, but that's just me.
The industrial/business look is my favorite, and also one of the reasons I don't care about having the wheel center caps on my wheels.

I like it without the wood better, but that's just me.
The industrial/business look is my favorite, and also one of the reasons I don't care about having the wheel center caps on my wheels.

My car was originally a high trim model and also has the burl wood overlays in the door panels, so I am trying not to go too far away from original on some of the basic stuff, body-wise. Drive train is another story.
:burnout:

-
Back