How much do plan to have saved for retirement?

-
I didn't read all the posts, but I did get the sense that a very important item was missed.................maintain your health!!!!!!!!!! Money ain't gonna mean **** if you or your wife are in poor health......lotta things you thought you were gonna do, just might not happen!!!!!!!!!!

When your 18 years old who thinks about retirement, pension and investments. I was lucky my Dad pointed me towards a City job and in retrospect it was a God send. I got on at 22 years old and retired at 53 with 31 years of Service. Of course I had the best job in the world as a NYC Firefighter.

...............maintain your health!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes this is not a choice. Most of my health problems were not caused by things line injuries from stupid stuff, or injuries at all. And none of it was particularly caused by "lifestyle."

Unfortunately Genetics plays such a big part in our Health and Longevity. I was lucky that I have fairly good roots, but we also can't choose our forefathers and their health issues.

Didn't have a plan when I was young but started thinking about it later. As part of my business job I learned a lot about how money works. My view of the key to whatever you call your version of retirement is being debt free. I have worked hard on that end and at my senior citizen enabled time of life landed on two paid for houses and no debt. Stock in my company paid out a nice little sum and our brokerage accounts have been moderately good to us. Wife retired about seven years ago and I really love having her home to take care of me and the dog. I still do some consulting which is moderately lucrative but not overly so. I made the decision to keep my health as good as possible so its the gym and proper diet for us both but we are not going to winter in Aruba or anything like that.
I feel fortunate to be where I am and like what we are doing, some travel, some home life and some challenging work to keep my mind sharp. Been building cars since I was 14 but thinking I am about done with that because after two knee replacements and back problems it just hurts too much to get down on the floor anymore but at my age its and anomaly for those who do.

46 goin on 47 in feb just had to cash in my 401 due to my employer of 13 years loosing all of the quality employees and filling the voids w illegals , drug addicts and guys in there 30s and 40s who are willing to work for 12 $ an hr none have any experience or skills and all the front office could say is ..... u had 7 guys on you're crew ..... yea me and maybe 2 others that have a clue and the rest just bodies , so I left took the rest of July off and didn't decide on a new career till September so not wanting to sweat my bills , burden my old lady who's also workin w stress I cashed in mine ... now in may i will have my 6 months in at my new job will contribute my max , the new co matches up to. 4% and on the hamster wheel I go

3 kids in college.
one a pilot.

Hope I live long enough to reap the Harvest.

Yes, health is everything.
I put my inheritance into my house, along with time and whatever other money I might have.
I am going on 66 now and in excellent health, and still working. I have found the secrets to staying healthy, and expect to be working until my allotted time is up. I expect the kids will get the house. And I have not yet applied for government pension.
Health is everything, and I thank my creator daily.

Retired at 59 with full pension. Included was a "bridge" that paid an additional 80% of the pension for five years after I retired and also paid what SS would have until age 62. Was making more money after I retired than before. Everything is paid for and my health is good. Getting a lot more physical activity working in my shop and maintaining my property than I did in my "office" job. Have $150k liquid and other investments. Waited til '65 for SS. Live span is a crap shoot . . . my dad died at 77 with cancer, my mom is 95 and with exception of some memory problems is going strong. I live simply. Everything was paid off years before I retired and paid cash for everything after that. Getting out of debt is a great help. Not that very few jobs provide pensions, retirement is going to be a lot tougher. It takes a huge principal live off the interest.

Military retirement. Did 24 years. Own one house. Paying on another. Will work overseas a bit more to pad things up cash wise. Some cash in the bank, some in an IRA. Not enough.....

I've got 30 yrs with the company. I'll just be 52 in February. My oldest is 22 and married - doing very well on their own. My other two are just in 2nd and 5th grade. I plan to work 10 - 12 more years. Between what pension that frozen, my 401k and the money my finance guy "plays" with, I'm on track to retire with 1.75M, plus what ever SS I can get. Wife has been a stay at home mom since the oldest was born. the house will be paid off in 10 yrs. We are both healthy and from healthy famlies. Neither of us have ever smoked, drank, nor used illegal drugs. We eat fairly healthy and are always doing something. We are very blessed, and fully acknowledge God's hand in our lives.

All great input, I appreciate the insight as to what others are doing and are experiencing.

I’ll be doing ok as long as the wife doesn’t kick the bucket. She’s retired, has a pension and just started getting ss.
I started saving way too late in life.
Got around 100k in Roth and another ira, but no pension for me. Just SS when it’s time. I have to work another eight years if I’m going to work till SS full retirement age of 67. Would like to retire sooner so wife and I can travel a bit. She’s almost 8 years older than me, so if I wait till I’m 67 she’ll be like 74. Might be hard to start traveling at that point.

I retired 9 years ago at 60. My wife was already medically retired.We started out with 600K in various Cd's and 401K and I received Pension payments until 62 when I took SS early. Financial planners said I should have a Million but unless something catastrophic happens we will be just fine. Of course we live a frugal lifestyle but do pretty much as we please. I might add we paid cash for our Condo so just utility and misc. costs

Last edited:
-
Back