How much does it cost?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm just doing a little future thinking here. I am unsure what I what to do for my next project which will be another 72 Demon. I have been thinking of some different kinds of projects including a Viper drivetrain or a Hemi. (elephant motor).

What I am wondering is. How much does it cost to put a 426 based engine and tranny into an A-body? All the work on the car will be done by me as I am set up to do most anything besides machine work. I know some of the alterations that have to be done but not all of them.

Just looking for a ballpark figure.

Jack

I,m gonna say alittle higher than $20K,we,re talking Can.$$ here.Once you add up all the misc. parts to go on the 426,it could add up fairly quickly.Headers alone would be pricey with shipping.Good Luck Jack!:read2:

Assuming you're gonna keep most of the car stock, and as you said, do the work yourself, figure the price of the Hemi (mild, say 15-18k for a used, good motor) about 1k for an exhaust system (unless you're building one), 300 for frame connectors & engine plate material, 1k for a cooling system and that should give you a ball-park figure. Keep in mind I don't know if you want to cage the car, move springs in or what type of tranny you want to use or how stout your rear-end is, but I yhink you get the picture. It ain't cheap, it IS easy to do but I'd have a plan first as to what I want the completed car to be....

I would say about $6K more than a similarly prepped big block car. You'll pay more for the egnine, exh, brakes, chassis work, etc. But that mostly comes with any build. So when it's all said and done, I cant see it going too much more than that.

Hey Jack -
Here's an alternate suggestion that I'd love to do with my '69 Dart if I had the funds: how about a new-generation Hemi with an Indy Cylinder Head 'Mod Man' intake and black-wrinkle '60s-style valve covers?
That would give you the 'cool factor' of the dual-sparkplug look with semi-correct period styling, multiple carb/fuel injection or 8-71 supercharger setup, and potentially better mileage at a lower cost.
Take a look at pgs. 66-69 of the January 2010 issue of Mopar Enthusiast magazine. They tested various 'Mod Man' manifold tops on a modified 6.1 Hemi and their dyno test horsepower ranged from 613HP/539 torque (single 850cfm carb) to 670HP/569 torque (dual 1300cfm throttle bodies). They didn't test the 8-71 blower.
I like it, just don't have the funds to do it!

My old friend has about 17K into the motor. The headers were built by him, or there'd be another 2K in the exhaust. The Dana was done by him in the early '80s, so it would be about 1700 now, and the Jerico was nearly 6K. The car was an original 340 Demon but bought back in the early '80s, and all the work including the back-half, and paint was done by him. That'd probably bring it up another 10K plus the cost of the car. I'd have to say that 40K+car would do it pretty close to right.

Some very interesting suggestions guy's and thanks.

I think I have a plan in mind. I would complete the body of the car first, keeping in mind what drive train would be going in it.This would include:
1. mini tub and move spings into frame rails
2. narrow an 8 3/4 or Dana 60
3. torque boxes, frame rails and cage. (don't want this thing twisting on me)
4. rework front inner fenders for clearance.
5. maybe and this is a big maybe, go to an Alterkation front end

I know the AlterK's are pricey, but if you are going to rebuild the entire front suspension then that does bring them into the more affordable catagory and the benefits seem to be very good.

This wood be a long term project and probably wouldn't get finished until after I retire which is about 4 years away. Although I would drive this on the street I would build it as a show car. It would be done on a rotisary, sp? with the entire car being base/cleared and every nut and bolt being replaced. I guess there won't be any worry of me not having anything to do when I retire. LOL

Jack

WoW,now that you mention putting every nut and bolt new on the car,that changes the price!LOL!Sounds like a cool project Jack.Good Luck with the project,I,m looking forward to watching this build.:read2:

-
Back