hOW MUCH PAINT TO BUY??

-

chuckwagon2004

71 dartswinger
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im about to order my paint to get started on the dart This will be the first paint job I have done myself besides a few primer jobs. Im in a delimia though. I dont know how much paint Im going to need to buy to kick this off. I dont want to buy too much of this high dollar stuff. Im doing a complete color change to any help would be nice. How much base and clear do you guys think i need

I agree on a gallon of each.

The last thing I painted was a 83 chevy longbed and I bought a Gal. It was enough to put 1 light and 2 heavy coats on the whole truck including the bed. It should be plenty to do yours.

I agree with the gal. Plus, were you to buy 3 qts, it would probably cost the same.
Make that one gal. of paint, not "ready to spray". One gal. of paint, plus the appropriate amount of reducer, hardener, etc.
C

D@MN, I realized earlier it has been 2 years and I have been slacking. After seeing some budget paint jobs and the results I went ahead and scratched the idea on candy paint since I'm doing the spraying. I have set my mind to start cracking down on the swinger. I just bought all the materials for the paint start to finish. I went with Eastwood's product line and I'm going to shoot it with some clear. Color is going to be Pinup red... with a couple shots of clear and maybe a color sand and a couple more shots of clear. :D Hope its a good product yall let me know whatcha think about Eastwood

I've used Eastwood's Base coat before and I really liked it especially for the price.

This is a car I painted using it. I ended up using 2 gallons of base and had some leftover mainly due to the fact that this is a pretty transparent color and it required a little more than usual to get full coverage..

complete pic 4.jpg

Oh yeah, it was a COMPLETE color change. I also painted the interior upper door panels and dash board (except for the pad obviously) in addition to all jambs, engine comp., trunk, trunk lid, and underside of hood.

painted dash.jpg

Love that color Gary.... I think I will stick with the Pinup red though I'm anxious now :D Ready to get it. Good thing I bought 2 gallons of base too Im doing a complete color change as well.

when I bought my 74 it came with 2 gal of sublime my painter used 1 and almost a half thats under decklid door jams under hood inside engine and evreywhere else

Good luck with your pint job! post some pics of it taped up and the stripping too! I would really love to see! =]

Not a problem DarTT I have to find the charger for the camera and remember to bring it when I work on the dart. I'm planning on starting a resto thread even though I have stripped it and started on some body work.. Im also in the middle of trying to get a new shop built at the new house so I dont have to drive 12 miles to work on the dart. The dart and the new shop are going to be pulling me both ways.. Hopefully dirt work can get done first then the concrete ppl can handle up on concrete while I work on the dart.

-
Back