How much play is too much?

-

MitchDart

1964 Dart 270 Owner
Reaction score
Wondering if this is normal or not for a 64 Dart, manual steering. There’s a lot of play in the steering. Using the clock analogy, when driving straight I can move the wheel back and forth from almost 11 o’clock to 1 o’clock and not affect the steering/ direction.

It’s like some old timey movie where the car is going straight but they keep turning the wheel back and forth. Front suspension recently rebuilt and quite nice. It’s definitely in the steering box- question being if that’s normal or not.

Input much appreciated!

Nope that's way too much.

Climb under the car and see if a tie rod end happens to be loose.
Just rebuilt means alot of things depending on the quality of parts.
Alot of play will in the steering box will make any car drive like crap.
So will lower control are bushings, cracked K frame etc.

Also check the steering coupler.

I went through this on my 65. Turns out when I was under there and buddy was turning wheel, the: steering box was loose, tie rods were soft, Idler arm was shot, and LBJ's wer bad. All this on a car that hadnt been driven for 25 years. Idler arm was biggest culprit as it was just deflecting up and down. Coupler was OK, tightened up steering box, changed bad joints and adjusted steering box. Loosen lock nut on top of box about 1/4 turn. Turn slotted screw CW while turning wheel back and forth over "high spot"at center travel. Youll feel wheel getting tighter. You dont want it too tight, once its where you like it, tighten lock nut.

I went through this on my 65. Turns out when I was under there and buddy was turning wheel, the: steering box was loose, tie rods were soft, Idler arm was shot, and LBJ's wer bad. All this on a car that hadnt been driven for 25 years. Idler arm was biggest culprit as it was just deflecting up and down. Coupler was OK, tightened up steering box, changed bad joints and adjusted steering box. Loosen lock nut on top of box about 1/4 turn. Turn slotted screw CW while turning wheel back and forth over "high spot"at center travel. Youll feel wheel getting tighter. You dont want it too tight, once its where you like it, tighten lock nut.

Thanks- I’ll the adjustment to the steering box, that sound like the most likely culprit.

-
Back