How much to stock rebuild a 360?

-
It all depends on how good a shape your engine is in. I have a 55000 mile 1976 360 that I'm getting ready to rebuild myself. I have chosen some speed pro 9.1:1 hyper pistons for 129 bucks. Also, your camshaft choice could be better. This one will be stronger. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4452761AB/ Because it is ground on 110 lobe centers, instead of 114, like the 340 cam, it will build more cylinder pressure and more power. That's important in a low compression street engine. Also as someone else suggested, the dual plane intake would far out perform that torker. Even the stock 340 Thermoquad intake with a Thermoquad would be a hard combo to beat. All in all, I expect to have no more than 500 bucks in my engine and it will run mid-low 13s with some slicks when I'm done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the 318 is in the car now.

IMO, stay stupid cheap on the "For now" engine. This keeps the max amount of money for the real deal engine later. (IMO, just do the engine you want now even if it means you don't have a ride this summer.)

To use a Torker / TorkerII on the teen, a small carb and a cam like suggested above will do. (The intake really wants 230 @ 050 or better, which would kill the bottom end) A dual plane would be better. Even the OE iron would be great! Use headers and if it is not to terribly expensive, mill the heads for something of a workable ratio. A gear ratio change will be a great improvment and should be the ratio you want for later.

You may and up with a soggy bottom end 318 that pulls OK mid way to up top, but then again, it's a just for now engine.

It all depends on how good a shape your engine is in. I have a 55000 mile 1976 360 that I'm getting ready to rebuild myself. I have chosen some speed pro 9.1:1 hyper pistons for 129 bucks. Also, your camshaft choice could be better. This one will be stronger. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4452761AB/ Because it is ground on 110 lobe centers, instead of 114, like the 340 cam, it will build more cylinder pressure and more power. That's important in a low compression street engine. Also as someone else suggested, the dual plane intake would far out perform that torker. Even the stock 340 Thermoquad intake with a Thermoquad would be a hard combo to beat. All in all, I expect to have no more than 500 bucks in my engine and it will run mid-low 13s with some slicks when I'm done.

I agree. I have the 450/455 cam in my 318. It is a great cam for it!! Noticeable idle for sure!!

To the OP, I'd leave the 318 in there for now and build another engine on the side....

-
Back