How much?

-

caw440

Reaction score
I'm going to have a 225 and auto from a 69 dart for sale soon and have no idea what to ask for it, it runs very good and the tranny does also. Just a ball park price if anyone has an idea what it might be worth. Thanks

I'm going to have a 225 and auto from a 69 dart for sale soon and have no idea what to ask for it, it runs very good and the tranny does also. Just a ball park price if anyone has an idea what it might be worth. Thanks

I have NO IDEA what these things go for, but I'd think $500 would be very reasonable.

If you do a quick search through the for sale forum (try searching with "slant six" and may want to try other terms as well), I think you'll find that most have tried to sell them for much less than $500 unsuccessfully, even with trans. Sometimes successfully, but their starting prices were much lower unless it was rebuilt. Even Super's. But you might get lucky and find someone right in your area looking for one and get more than the going rate, who knows (still, $500 seems unlikely to me). I'm kind of interested in getting a complete /6, but wouldn't be interested in it for anywhere near $500, but that's just me, so local is my only option as shipping would be too much from anywhere.

You also didn't really give enough info. Is this rebuilt, how many miles are on it, etc.

I think it's so hard to put a solid price on something like this that doesn't have much demand for it. Good luck with the sale though.

On here over time i've seen em all the way from FREE to a turbo setup for $1200. Two factors. A seller needs to find a buyer and a buyer needs to find a seller. Both will need to come together on terms. Good luck on your efforts. When ya get ready to list it, put it over in the "For Sale" section under mechanical. May get more interest there.
Small Block

I have three free ones out in my shop.

i paid 125. for a good running slant 6 out of an 85 van. i bought it for a spare that i might build up someday. seems like the trans might be worth close to the same as the motor. i wouldnt pay more than i did unless i was in a real bind or if it had the super six setup (2 bbl) on it, i was also the only one that wanted it after a month on craigslist.

about 5- to 100 dollars is all a slant will bring. if ya get more then that you found an idiot..:)

i also have two for free, but cannot get them out of here due to the distance between the two of us.

I would like to have a 225 /6, preferably running, with trans, but it needs to be REAL close to me. Southern WI or maybe a little over. I don't think I'd even drive to Chicago for one. I'd pay a little maybe if any, but not much, I don't want one THAT bad.

All to say, to the original poster -- Think more like "beer money for your time" rather than like $ for the actual motor/trans.

I paid $100 for a 40k mile 225 and 904 that looks and runs like new. I got a greasy old spare for free.

I did pay $150 for one once before I knew any better (and that turned out to be a 170; the guy was real cool though and gave me my money back and a good 904 for my trouble).

I gave $200 for one last summer. But it was a great runner, I heard it run. It came with an Offy 4bbl intake, Holley 600 carb and header. Oh and the trans. I painted it, installed in car and drive it when I want. I did replace the carb for a Holley 390. I drove 3 hours to get it but I was picking up an 8 1/4 rear at the same time. Nice trip for the wife and I.
Good luck on your sale.

Looks like free it is then , if anyones going to be in Melbourne Fla. on the 22nd of Jan. at the mopar show, It will be there in all its glory looking for good home. Thanks for all the answers,

Looks like free it is then , if anyones going to be in Melbourne Fla. on the 22nd of Jan. at the mopar show, It will be there in all its glory looking for good home. Thanks for all the answers,

I'm planning on being there. I'll take it off your hands. Can you PM me your phone number, so I can meet up with you? Thanks

A month on craigslist at $150 didn't draw any interest for my /6 and auto out of my 68 barracuda. Dropped price to $50 and found a buyer. Not much market.

Actually, I'll be in Orlando, at the PRI trade show next Thur, Fri, Sat. I might be able to pick it up from you at that time, if you would rather not haul it to the MOB.

-
Back