How stupid can folks really be????

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Several new fires have erupted, one down by Cheney and another in Lincoln County....the one in Lincoln County was started by 3 idiots in a Dodge pick up shooting tannerite....

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jul/19/fast-growing-fire-near-fishtrap-lake/

Absolute morons...have been above 90* for over 3 weeks now with zero rain...dry as a effin bone and these asshats are out shooting....at effing exploding targets.....nothing like putting peoples lives and belongings at risk because you are stupid.....

I truly hate the bulk of society.......especially these types of folks....the gene pool needs to thinned some....

Rant off....

I daresay the great majority of destructive fires is started in some way by human screw ups

One of the "big fires" a few years ago in Spokane was started by some sort of barbecue? party? with a bunch of teenagers? This was the "Valley View" fire of 2008, burned 13 homes

And, even though "Firestorm 91" was evidently started by powerlines, it turned out that the cooperating fire depts did not have compatible radio systems.

When I worked for Motorola in the 90's we re--configured a BUNCH of radio gear in Spokane co. to make this happen. I've worked all over radio sites in the county to rework radios.........relocate, reconfigure into different repeated systems, and install additional equipment. When we got done, nearly any fire dept unit could communicate with central dispatch from most places in the county......with a hand held radio.

My grandad was the co-owner of the Hertrich and Moylan mercantile store in Sprague, Wa., not far from you guys. That town was, at the time, the biggest rail hub in eastern Washington.
The town was leveled by a fire that started at a blacksmith's shop, it was driven by the wicked winds blowing from the badlands. That event forever changed the landscape of commerce in that area. Because of the fire, and it's consequences, the location of the county seat damn near caused a war between the towns of Sprague and Davenport, and the biggest player at the time; Northern Pacific Railroad, pulled up stops and made they're new base in Spokane.

Are the people up there so stupid that they don't understand the fire risks? Does nobody pay attention to history anymore? Seems like half of eastern Wa. is on fire,... again! WTF??

http://www3.gendisasters.com/washington/11547/sprague-wa-fire-aug-1895

Attachments

• Kathy.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 332
Also did a small amount of work for "The Viking Drive in," mostly their soft-serve machines as I remember We handled "Sweden" brand machines.

I always liked those kinds of calls "back then" because it was a chance to get out and about some, lot of driving time with no pressure. Of course, a different story in winter LOL

Attachments

• viking.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 350
Most of this isn't a case of stupid (depending on how you look at it, but a simple case of "I don't give a ****, because it doesn't affect me".

People simply don't care these days when it isn't "their" problem.

I have a co-worker who works for the same utility as I do, he lives near Wenatchee. He's a volunteer fire fighter on the side, been up till midnight nearly every night after his day job protecting peoples homes. He also donates mobile radios from our old radio system as they come available to help these firefighting groups with their communications....they never are funded as they should be. All of them have my utmost respect.

My grandad was the co-owner of the Hertrich and Moylan mercantile store in Sprague, Wa., not far from you guys. That town was, at the time, the biggest rail hub in eastern Washington.
The town was leveled by a fire that started at a blacksmith's shop, it was driven by the wicked winds blowing from the badlands. That event forever changed the landscape of commerce in that area. Because of the fire, and it's consequences, the location of the county seat damn near caused a war between the towns of Sprague and Davenport, and the biggest player at the time; Northern Pacific Railroad, pulled up stops and made they're new base in Spokane.

Are the people up there so stupid that they don't understand the fire risks? Does nobody pay attention to history anymore? Seems like half of eastern Wa. is on fire,... again! WTF??

http://www3.gendisasters.com/washington/11547/sprague-wa-fire-aug-1895
Not just here that folks are this stupid. When I lived in AZ I went to go out and do a bit of four wheeling one weekend. Drove out to the trail and was turned around by the Forestry Service. Was in August, had not seen any rain since June or so and some yahoo was out shooting tracer rounds in the desert...to give this chowder head some credit at least he did call it in and admitted he did it....
Most of this isn't a case of stupid (depending on how you look at it, but a simple case of "I don't give a ****, because it doesn't affect me".

People simply don't care these days when it isn't "their" problem.
This is very true as well. Thing is often times they do figure out who started it and do cite them for it. From what I understand the brain dead idiot that started the fire that was just a mile or so from us has been cited for burning trash....and will be on the hook for the expense of the crews/aircraft. Sure he will never pay it but.....
I have a co-worker who works for the same utility as I do, he lives near Wenatchee. He's a volunteer fire fighter on the side, been up till midnight nearly every night after his day job protecting peoples homes. He also donates mobile radios from our old radio system as they come available to help these firefighting groups with their communications....they never are funded as they should be. All of them have my utmost respect.

Please tell your friend I appreciate what he does.....

My BIL was Volunteer Fire out in Nine Mile Falls. The stories that he could tell, when he'd talk about them at all. Got to be too much eating at him and he had to quit. Seen too much - sometimes of people he'd been to a bbq with not long prior, I'm guessing there's some PSD in there somewhere.

Hats off to all of those guys and gals, volunteer or not!

My BIL was Volunteer Fire out in Nine Mile Falls.

Volunteer depts have their own problems. Since they are not paid, hired, or really well trained sometimes, you get a lot of "problems." Friend of mine was involved with Bull Lake, MT The former 'chief' had a mysterious fire in his trailer. A whole bunch of fire radio equipment disappeared in the fire. Someone in the dept tried to talk my friend into using illegal amateur radio gear as fire radios. All kinds of "little back room politics"

I wasn't involved in any of it, but I would not have been able to handle it. I don't do well with this kind of atmosphere, at all

Volunteer depts have their own problems. Since they are not paid, hired, or really well trained sometimes, you get a lot of "problems." Friend of mine was involved with Bull Lake, MT The former 'chief' had a mysterious fire in his trailer. A whole bunch of fire radio equipment disappeared in the fire. Someone in the dept tried to talk my friend into using illegal amateur radio gear as fire radios. All kinds of "little back room politics"

I wasn't involved in any of it, but I would not have been able to handle it. I don't do well with this kind of atmosphere, at all

Thus is true. Where I grew up we had a volunteer fire department. Mr. Curtin, the neighbor across the street was the "Chief". He had pretty much zero tolerance for the political game playing. Back then there was never a shortage of folks that would step up and volunteer. If any one of his crew got the least bit sideways he would send them packing.....

Thus is true. Where I grew up we had a volunteer fire department. Mr. Curtin, the neighbor across the street was the "Chief". He had pretty much zero tolerance for the political game playing. Back then there was never a shortage of folks that would step up and volunteer. If any one of his crew got the least bit sideways he would send them packing.....

Good for him.

Around here the volunteer companies are beer halls, especially in Watkins Glen. Too many guys joining up to be part of the "crew" for the parties, not enough guys actually serious about it. Those who are serious about it do a damned good job. Unfortunately, there aren't enough of those guys.

As a matter of fact, the former chief here in my fire district was just sent to jail for embezzling well over a $100K from the fire department.

Big tip of the hat to any firefighter, volunteer or otherwise, that lays it all on the line for the safety of others.

Several new fires have erupted, one down by Cheney and another in Lincoln County....the one in Lincoln County was started by 3 idiots in a Dodge pick up shooting tannerite....

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jul/19/fast-growing-fire-near-fishtrap-lake/

Absolute morons...have been above 90* for over 3 weeks now with zero rain...dry as a effin bone and these asshats are out shooting....at effing exploding targets.....nothing like putting peoples lives and belongings at risk because you are stupid.....

I truly hate the bulk of society.......especially these types of folks....the gene pool needs to thinned some....

Rant off....

One thing i've learned is that stupidity knows no limit.

My hometown neighbors a rural farm town where every neighborhood is walking distance from farm land that turns dry and flammable every year. Just a few years ago the genius citizens decided removing the ban on fireworks would be a good idea. So far so good, but they're one drunk idiot away from the story you posted above.

Just look around this place for stupid. And the problem is, stupid jumps from person to person and you never know who will be next. You, me, anybody.

Problem is that by the time they're Darwin candidates they've already done their damage to the rest of us. What we need is preemptive, retroactive birth control.

How about pre-emptive genetic testing for the "stupid gene", I'm sure they (the genome people) can find it. :)

Hey, great idea!
And I know just where they can start doing their research...there's no shortage of test subjects all concentrated in a 68.3 square-mile area located between Maryland and Virginia.
Sorry, I couldn't get any more specific or this thread would have to get bumped to another forum.

Big tip of the hat to any firefighter, volunteer or otherwise, that lays it all on the line for the safety of others.
yep, some truly incredible folks....
One thing i've learned is that stupidity knows no limit.

My hometown neighbors a rural farm town where every neighborhood is walking distance from farm land that turns dry and flammable every year. Just a few years ago the genius citizens decided removing the ban on fireworks would be a good idea. So far so good, but they're one drunk idiot away from the story you posted above.
it only takes one drunk fool....
therapy
If it's any concession, the really stupid sometimes end up being nominees for the "Darwin Awards". :evil3:
Thus is true...but generally speaking don't the "Darwin" folks only take themselves out???
Problem is that by the time they're Darwin candidates they've already done their damage to the rest of us. What we need is preemptive, retroactive birth control.
hmmm....maybe onto something...
How about pre-emptive genetic testing for the "stupid gene", I'm sure they (the genome people) can find it. :)
This needs to be looked into.

before i say this, i want to make it perfectly clear that i love dogs.
i've owned them. i was raised with them. friends had them. been around dogs all my life and i love the heck out of them.

so i was reading the news this morning, a 4 year old boy in tampa fl. with an icecream attacked and mauled to death by his uncle's pit bulls. very sad. gonna be a ton of crying at a funeral for the little guy.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...death-uncles-two-pit-bulls-ate-ice-cream.html

THEN i saw another news article. 7-month old infant boy killed by another "family dog"
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/nati...acks-kills-7-month-old-baby-in-ohio/12932611/
an "american staffordshire terrier" which is just a fancy named pit bull breed.

again I LOVE DOGS but stupidity has got to stop. you cannot just blame owners. the breeds need to be banned.

how many maimings and killings by these dogs in the past 25 years? hundreds
how many by hounds, labs, setters, retrievers, german shepherds, dobermans, etc?
pretty much NONE

grrrrrrrr. stupidity. why own a dog that is bred to kill and fight? does it make you feel tough or something. it's stupid.

before i say this, i want to make it perfectly clear that i love dogs.
i've owned them. i was raised with them. friends had them. been around dogs all my life and i love the heck out of them.

so i was reading the news this morning, a 4 year old boy in tampa fl. with an icecream attacked and mauled to death by his uncle's pit bulls. very sad. gonna be a ton of crying at a funeral for the little guy.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...death-uncles-two-pit-bulls-ate-ice-cream.html

THEN i saw another news article. 7-month old infant boy killed by another "family dog"
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/nati...acks-kills-7-month-old-baby-in-ohio/12932611/
an "american staffordshire terrier" which is just a fancy named pit bull breed.

again I LOVE DOGS but stupidity has got to stop. you cannot just blame owners. the breeds need to be banned.

how many maimings and killings by these dogs in the past 25 years? hundreds
how many by hounds, labs, setters, retrievers, german shepherds, dobermans, etc?
pretty much NONE

grrrrrrrr. stupidity. why own a dog that is bred to kill and fight? does it make you feel tough or something. it's stupid.

First off, way to get off topic. EDIT: Okay, maybe not off topic. You were addressing the stupidity factor. My bad.

Second, if you think "all" pit bulls are mean and vicious dogs, you should see my neighbor's pit bull. She's so mean and vicious she wouldn't think twice about drowning you in dog slobber. And if you happen to forget to pet her, or tell her hi, she'll let you know about it by tackling you and sticking her tongue in your ear the next time you get near her. I have absolutely no problem with my 9 year old son going up to her and petting her. All this BS about the breed being bad is just that: BS. ANY dog can be vicious, and not just by training it to be. Hell, when I was a kid the worst dog in my neighborhood was a damn dachshund. I was bit by that dog probably six times. I was also bit in the face by a white German Shepherd, and almost attacked by a Doberman. We had a beagle at one time that liked to nip fingers. My uncle's Chihuahua was an evil little beast. It would come up to you and bite your ankles for no reason. It once put it's canine teeth through my uncle's nostril while he was holding it. But my neighbor's pit bull, and the pit bull owned by some friends of ours, are the most non-vicious, friendly, gentle dogs I've ever met. Just like most other dogs, they just want attention and to be loved.

Back on the firefighting topic: I have many friends who are firefighters and volunteer firefighters. My hats are off to them for what they have to deal with, both job-wise and politically. Politically speaking, one of the things some volunteer fire brigades do here in Central Illinois, in an attempt to raise money for better equipment and training, is to basically charge people for protection. If a homeowner is paid up, and their property catches fire, the volunteer firefighters do their best to put the fire out. If they haven't paid, the volunteers show up to watch it burn and to make sure it doesn't spread to the properties of those who have paid. Personally, I think this is criminal and akin to racketeering. "Protection" money, anyone? Does this happen elsewhere, or is it just in the "great" state of Illinois?

Back on the firefighting topic: I have many friends who are firefighters and volunteer firefighters. My hats are off to them for what they have to deal with, both job-wise and politically. Politically speaking, one of the things some volunteer fire brigades do here in Central Illinois, in an attempt to raise money for better equipment and training, is to basically charge people for protection. If a homeowner is paid up, and their property catches fire, the volunteer firefighters do their best to put the fire out. If they haven't paid, the volunteers show up to watch it burn and to make sure it doesn't spread to the properties of those who have paid. Personally, I think this is criminal and akin to racketeering. "Protection" money, anyone? Does this happen elsewhere, or is it just in the "great" state of Illinois?

Big money in fire. I know a bunch of dirt mover guys. They all want to be on the fire. They get paid a lot and don't do much at all.

Same with the full time fire fighters. They get paid a LOT more when there on a fire. Most of the time hey will drag their feet putting it out so it will get bigger and they can be on the fire longer.

-
Back