How tall are you?

-

TNT440_Cbody

Reaction score
So I'm only 6'2" but every A-body I have been in was impossible to get my legs straight out even with the seat all the way back. I don't mean just to the gas/brake pedals, but to the firewall! My knees hit the steering wheel. It sucks.

I am thinking that I either need to install bucket seats (a head rest would be nice too in case of an accident) or drill the floor and move the seat 4 inches back. Maybe my legs are just too long. :dontknow:

So how tall are you and if you have a problem with the issue of legroom in your A-body, what did you do about it?

I'm 6'2" also, and about 225 Lbs. I never had any issues in A bodies.

Perhaps we have different preferences or definitions of "comfortable", though.

I'm 6'4" 245 lbs and changed the seating in my 64 Signet yet had a factory stock 65 Barracuda 4 speed without any change and was always comfortable.

You don't have to drill the floor, just add two long flat pieces of either steel or aluminum to the original holes set back a bit and reposition your seat to the new brackets

between 5'5"-5'8" depending on which convenience store i'm leaving...and about 240-250. no problems here...lol

6"7 I had to get a smaller steering wheel and put buckets in still a little cramped but its better

I'm 6' 3" @ 250lbs w/35" inseam. I'm strongly thinking about relocating the seats in my Duster, as well.

I'm 6'4", and with a tuff wheel and factory buckets in my '73 I'm unable to straighten my legs out either. I don't want to cut/drill the car and I never take it on long trips, so I just live with it.

I'm only 4'-27" and didn't have any comfort problem with my old 340 Swinger. But my "new" '69 Dart is going to have a nice set of aftermarket buckets to make sure.

4'-27".........think about it

I'm 6'4" 245 lbs and changed the seating in my 64 Signet yet had a factory stock 65 Barracuda 4 speed without any change and was always comfortable.

You don't have to drill the floor, just add two long flat pieces of either steel or aluminum to the original holes set back a bit and reposition your seat to the new brackets

That is a great idea. I will look into that!

I also have a long inseam- I can sit with one leg on the kitchen counter top and the other foot flat on the floor. I wear length 34 pants but wear them hanging off the hip- I think my jeans inseam is closer to 36" if I were to wear properly fitting clothes. :glasses6:

Glad to know I'm not the only one though! I was wondering if only sub 6-footers owned A-Bodies! :tongue10: We got a lotta tall people into A-bodies! (I don't even consider myself to be that tall but I'm also pretty used to my height. Girls think I'm tall!)

With that said, my C-Body Mopar and B-body Pontiac are great fits for me. In new cars, even if I have the legroom, the steering wheel is too far away! :wack:

I'm 6'5" The first thing I did with my Duster and Challenger was change out the steering wheel to a smaller diameter. I still can't straighten out my legs but at least I don't get stuck getting in and out, it's still a bit tough if I have work boots on though.
I keep toying with the idea of a telescoping steering column and moving the seat back. But I don't know if I'd know how to drive a car I actually fit comfortably in! Besides it would feel strange if the insides of my knees didn't rub the steering wheel LOL

6' 195 and I don't seem to have any problems, though my boss is 6'4"ish 200 and he doesn't fit too well in my dart. He drives 70-71 cuda's for a reason lol

I'm 5'10" and 245 lbs. so no problem here. When we set the seats up for my uncles car though, he is 6'7'', that took some work. We ended up welding in risers on the floorpan since the rails would have been in the rear footwell area. Came out nice and solid.

I'm only 4'-27" and didn't have any comfort problem with my old 340 Swinger. But my "new" '69 Dart is going to have a nice set of aftermarket buckets to make sure.

4'-27".........think about it

lol, that's a good one. I'm only 1'-60" tall.

I put a pair of Summit Seats in. The seat tracks have twice the travel so the seat will go back 3.5 inches further.

I guess I was born to be an early a body owner 5'7'' tall and 181lbs ready to drive.

Maybe just reupholster some seats without changing the worn-out foam ... :)

I worked with a guy whose daily driver was a '70 Swinger 340 ; he bought it new in Apr 1970 .
He was a body-builder ; a huge mother , and was tall . He fit into that bench seat-equipped Dart with no problems ; said that was one of its selling points when he was looking for a new compact performance car :)

Perhaps there are other factors here :
- Longer than average Torso ;
- Longer than normal Legs ;
- Longer than normal Arms .
I've know people whom were of average height , but their arms were disproportionately-longer ; same with legs , arms' reach , and torso length .

It is possible to be 6' tall , but have a longer reach or longer legs without changing one's overall height .

I'm 6' 8" ........If I stand on a milk crate :bootysha: how's the wheather up there? :evil4:

I'm about 5'10" tall & wear a 34" inseam. I've got a '64 Barracuda & years ago my mother had a '65 Barracuda. I never understood why I had to have the seat all of the way back to be semi-comfortable in mine & in hers if I put the seat all of the way back I could barely push the clutch to the floor. Years later when I was taking my car apart I found that (at least on the driver's seat mounts) there are slots that allow you to adjust the angle of the seat up & back over an inch & also a 2nd set of slots that let you adjust the seat forwards & backwards on the brackets well over 2".

-
Back