How the F#@% do I remove it?!

-

MitchDart

1964 Dart 270 Owner
Reaction score
Hi All- trying to remove the broken parking brake handle from my '64 Dart. It's just a handle and pin holding it in place. But I can't get the friggin' thing out for the life of me. I thought it was as simple as pushing the old pin out, remove the handle, put the new handle on and tap the new pin in place.

Is there something I'm missing? Or did I just not swear at the car enough for it to come out?

Well, it's been there for how long? 51 years?

Have you tried to put a little heat on the part that slides over the rod while attempting to turn the handle?

Have you tried to put a little heat on the part that slides over the rod while attempting to turn the handle?

great idea bruce, have him take a blowtorch to the interior of his car :D

great idea bruce, have him take a blowtorch to the interior of his car :D

it's been a while(40 plus years or so) since I did any of that stuff But.....
It isn't a really bad idea to add heat to the handle. I'm not saying he need a 4 foot long flame inside his car, but a heatgun or good high heat hair drier will work wonders since that is exactly how they put them on in the first place. I used to work summers(from my 12th year to a old pro at 15 years old) at a factory that did all sorts of weird auto related stuff like painted the dash bezels and knobs for gm and ford cars, assembly the emergency brake mechanism, detail anything that needed lettering such as dash or door medallions and so forth. Heat was the helper for almost every emergency brake setup. Either bakelite(40's -50's replacements) or later model plastic handle (60's) going onto metal in every process that they did. Sure most of them were pinned after being assembled but the first process was heat (good convection oven @ 225-275 worked + 10 minute soak time bakelight, plastic was a lot lower around the 150-175 range = 10 minute soak) heavy gloves and a good jig to make it straight.

I'm not saying he need a 4 foot long flame inside his car, but a heatgun or good high heat hair drier will work wonders

sure 'nuf, but this is how I picture Bruce to do it

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBvtGr1BfVQ"]Real homemade backpack flamethrower - YouTube[/ame]

makes me want to go out and macguiver something up myself
I can only imagine how much fun I would have clearing the snow of the driveway with that

So, I'll channel my inner Beavis and Butthead and set fire to the car ?! Not that the thought hasn't crossed my mind...

Actually makes sense to do some heat expansion/ cold contraction and try to work it out.

If all else fails I cut away the old plastic then I crimp the pin and yank (just like prom night.)

I just hoped there was a brainy-ier way to do it.

Unless you have a fancy C clamp like pin press, The pin will need to be driven out with a hammer.
2 ways to get'er done, Correct way is take the pull assembly down from under the dash and to a workbench. Alternatively, work post from the cars floor to beneath the pin.
with a little ingenuity a tripod foot print jack stand can work.

Halifaxhops , hit it right I did mine with a dremel then used vice grips to pull pin out.

Unless you have a fancy C clamp like pin press, The pin will need to be driven out with a hammer.
2 ways to get'er done, Correct way is take the pull assembly down from under the dash and to a workbench. Alternatively, work post from the cars floor to beneath the pin.
with a little ingenuity a tripod foot print jack stand can work.

You can use a home made pin press for that part....but your on your own for the stuck handle.......
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=53084&highlight=parking

I used a battery terminal puller and cut a nail to push the pin. Worked really well.

So, I'll channel my inner Beavis and Butthead and set fire to the car ?! Not that the thought hasn't crossed my mind...

Actually makes sense to do some heat expansion/ cold contraction and try to work it out.

If all else fails I cut away the old plastic then I crimp the pin and yank (just like prom night.)

He he he Fire Is Cool!!!!

Actually most heat guns come with a curved attachment that will keep the heat from blowing past the intended area and will concentrate the heat on the job. The shaft on that emergency brake lever should fit nicely into it.

-
Back