how to achieve 600 to 650 hp sb 408?

-

Nokke

Reaction score
hello guys i need some help what to be done to achieve 600-650hp. Here is the things i have now. i change the things thats needed to be done to achieve the goal.

La 360 block with oil modifications and hughes stud girdle
Eagle stroker kit forged 4340 crank
forged h-profile rods
srp 10,5 pistons i have measured the compression its low 9,80 to 1 so thats need to be higher i have calculated that i can raise that to 11,20 to 1 without piston change but i dont no if thats enough
melling hv pump oil pump
milodon windage tray and pan
camshaft comp cams solid roller xr286r lift 582/576 0,50 248/254 and lifters and pushrods
indy 360-1 ported cylinder heads and indy intake
milodon gear drive
tti 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 headers
and 1050 holley dominator

as it is now its benched in dynaflow to 555 hp at 6300 rpm and 527 ft lbs torgue

Lower the compression and then I would say to add a blower, If the car was built to take it.

im sorry but i dont wont forced induction or nos i wont an naturally aspirated engine but i now its very good things to get power with

Gee, maybe you should had went with e BBM if 550 hp isn't enough. I be scared the web mains would crack at those powers

I thought fuel hit $10 a gallon over there, must be nice to be rich

The only way i see it ..you need more compression and way more cam.

Talk to Brian @ Imm...he'll help you out.

yeah im going to talk with brian thanks. no im not rich but all my money goes on the car :)

Gee, maybe you should had went with e BBM if 550 hp isn't enough. I be scared the web mains would crack at those powers

I thought fuel hit $10 a gallon over there, must be nice to be rich

Why knock a guy for having money????

hello guys i need some help what to be done to achieve 600-650hp. Here is the things i have now. i change the things thats needed to be done to achieve the goal.

forged h-profile rods
srp 10,5 pistons i have measured the compression its low 9,80 to 1 so thats need to be higher i have calculated that i can raise that to 11,20 to 1 without piston change but i dont no if thats enough
melling hv pump oil pump
camshaft comp cams solid roller xr286r lift 582/576 0,50 248/254 and lifters and pushrods
milodon gear drive

as it is now its benched in dynaflow to 555 hp at 6300 rpm and 527 ft lbs torgue

Heads may not flow well...seen this with other "ported" indy heads. You must me using an adapter on the indy intake...I cnc the opening and port the plenum so you can mount the 1050 on the flange with no spacer.
Cam is small and way too conservative. Headers are small but can make 600HP. Are your pistons dish? Chamber volume? Rockers and ratio? Did you line hone the block with the girdle?
Brian

A friend of mine had a 383 la stroker some years ago.... like 10 because i was working at the track at the time. 540 horseish, memory is fuzzy. pulled the number 4 main web out of the block. arp studs, it was a 73 360 block.

Why knock a guy for having money????

I wasn't, just wounder if its all so smart. I have some regrets on how much I spent on my motor to see how fast I can burn up a tank of fuel, lol.

Yeah it was fun and maybe it kept me out of trouble but these gasoline prices are killing the fun of it, IMO.

I don't think pushing 600 HP out of a stock block SB is a good idea either, sure it pull the number on the dyno but out in the real world something could easily break. The R block is made for a reason.

I wasn't, just wounder if its all so smart. I have some regrets on how much I spent on my motor to see how fast I can burn up a tank of fuel, lol.

Yeah it was fun and maybe it kept me out of trouble but these gasoline prices are killing the fun of it, IMO.

I don't think pushing 600 HP out of a stock block SB is a good idea either, sure it pull the number on the dyno but out in the real world something could easily break. The R block is made for a reason.

I've got about 30 small block engines out there making anywhere from 580 to 630HP with stock blocks.
Those blocks are much stronger than people give them credit for. Only thing I've seen really kill a block is detonation or a bad NOS tune which caused severe detonation.
Some people think you can push pump gas engines with compression even though the resulting hp gain is so small it's not worth it. Others think 6 month old or older fuel is OK to run in their high compression engine...some don't check timing once in a while only to find that it's moved and "that's why it pings"!!

Stock blocks don't last forever that's true, but they will last quite a long time if they're taken care of. I prefer R blocks when the customer can afford it but that's kinda rare with so many people being furlowed, laid off, or taking pay cuts. So if a stock block buys you 5-10 years of racing, or street cruising then why not? I'm sure anybody that uses a stock block know's it's not going to last as long as an R block....

Not everybody is in the same place as you in life and they may want a nasty ride with some serious power on a budget...nothing wrong with that. I see where your coming from so don't get upset just try to see it through others eyes...
Brian

Lets see Solid Roller Camshaft .700" of lift , 280ish Duration @ 50, Fully Ported to the MAX INDY Heads. Intake set up like Brian says 13.5:1 Compression!! That Should just about do it! You better wear a rain coat so when you **** yourself gettin on it you don't stain your Interior :toothy2:

Lets see Solid Roller Camshaft .700" of lift , 280ish Duration @ 50, Fully Ported to the MAX INDY Heads. Intake set up like Brian says 13.5:1 Compression!! That Should just about do it! You better wear a rain coat so when you **** yourself gettin on it you don't stain your Interior :toothy2:

By the way, your short block will be done next week. Crank is in, just need to file the rings, degree the cam and assemble. Then the oil pump mod and it's finished. Prolly Wed.

I'm taking pics for the article so hopefully they'll run it.

This guy can tell ya' how to do it no problem Ryan at shadydell speed shop

Oh,and i commend you on not spraying seems everyone needs to when they can't figure out how to do it n.a...so sad...:pukerigh::pukerigh:

By the way, your short block will be done next week. Crank is in, just need to file the rings, degree the cam and assemble. Then the oil pump mod and it's finished. Prolly Wed.

I'm taking pics for the article so hopefully they'll run it.

Sounds good, can't wait!

Heads may not flow well...seen this with other "ported" indy heads. You must me using an adapter on the indy intake...I cnc the opening and port the plenum so you can mount the 1050 on the flange with no spacer.
Cam is small and way too conservative. Headers are small but can make 600HP. Are your pistons dish? Chamber volume? Rockers and ratio? Did you line hone the block with the girdle?
Brian

the heads has been tested they flow 307 on 650 lift that guy that flowed them has all the numbers so i can them if want and show you? yes i use and adapter to the 1050. the piston is dished and i have filled it with liqiud and the result was 26cc and the heads cc was 62 the rockers are td machine 1,6 rockers and the block is line honed thanks from niklas

the heads has been tested they flow 307 on 650 lift that guy that flowed them has all the numbers so i can them if want and show you? yes i use and adapter to the 1050. the piston is dished and i have filled it with liqiud and the result was 26cc and the heads cc was 62 the rockers are td machine 1,6 rockers and the block is line honed thanks from niklas

With just a valve job/chamber cut, narrowing the valve guide boss and short turn work those heads should go 305cfm at .500 lift! It sounds like that's what's holding you back the most.
The srp 220157/157 pistons should only have 17cc dish...you may have measured wrong?
What's the chamber volume? Are you sure about your measurments??
When ported correctly, that head will have a large chamber...more like 68-71cc. So some milling would should have been done or they didn't open the chamber up any.

Cam is too small for that power level.

With just a valve job/chamber cut, narrowing the valve guide boss and short turn work those heads should go 305cfm at .500 lift! It sounds like that's what's holding you back the most.
The srp 220157/157 pistons should only have 17cc dish...you may have measured wrong?
What's the chamber volume? Are you sure about your measurments??
When ported correctly, that head will have a large chamber...more like 68-71cc. So some milling would should have been done or they didn't open the chamber up any.

Cam is too small for that power level.

they guy that ported didnt grind the chamber very much i have measured today again the piston and it gave 21cc thats the hole cylinder with the piston in tdc i measued i have looked on a comp solid roller rx302 is that a good cam? Thanks for the answers

Brian knows what hes talking about too....

absolutely i have not lived under a rock the last 10years just gave an alternative alitle closer to home,konola is just as good as the best in america on this,just not as known internationaly..

forged h-profile rods
melling hv pump oil pump
milodon gear drive

You need more compression and cam and better #'s out of those Indy heads.
I ran a 425 W5 motor with 14.32 comp heads flowed 331 at .700 ran a 1.6 roller rocker W5 large runner intake Erson roller [email protected] .450 lobe ground on a 108ls and degreed it at 108 and TTI 1 7/8 headers.
69 Dart ran 9.70's at 138 mph with a 1.29 60ft at 3110lbs with a 4.30 gear and 29.5 M/T tire.shift at 6900-7000.

-
Back